Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H.D. premium ride shocks.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 12:13 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,929 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by hornhonker
Many would suggest that Ohlins are for now the very best out there. I guess we really need an Ohlins owner to test the HD premium shocks and give us some
comparisons.
That would be an interesting comparison.

In the meantime, maybe one of the guys that bought the Harley premium air shocks could answer a few questions. Can you adjust the length of the shock? Can you adjust pre-load on the shocks? Can you adjust compression and rebound damping on the shocks? Enquiring minds and all...

Old 08-09-2011, 12:39 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
That would be an interesting comparison.

In the meantime, maybe one of the guys that bought the Harley premium air shocks could answer a few questions. Can you adjust the length of the shock? Can you adjust pre-load on the shocks? Can you adjust compression and rebound damping on the shocks? Enquiring minds and all...
Yes, you can adjust the preload. No, you can't adjust the length. No, you can't adjust the rebound.
If you were not aware, the left shock handles compression, the right rebound. You adjust the left one only, via a dial on the shock. Yes, you need to pop the saddlebag off its mounts to do so. Honestly, that was my one hesitation in buying them, but came to the conclusion that I just don't adjust my shocks that often, and it wasn't really that much more hassle than digging out the air pump.

Yes, for me, the 12 inch version was a massive improvement. (2009 Street Glide) Had the 13 inch version been available, would have considered it, but between liking the lowered stance, and having muffler clearance issues, that's pretty much a no go for me. Considering the ride of the 12 inch, I'll bet the 13 are awesome. Have a friend who migrated from an 09 Road King (with 13" air shocks) to a 2011 CVO Street Glide (with the 12" premium ride shocks) and his impression was that the 12" Premium rides rode quite a bit better than the 13" air shocks he had before.

Have had various model progressives on various other bikes (never one of my Harleys though) and was never impressed. After 3 tries over the years, decided to not go for a fourth. For the record, tried the 412s, 416s (air shock) and 440s. But as I said, never on a Harley. The 440s were on a VTX1800 (pretty heavy bike) and the 416s were on a Goldwing, so both of those were on bikes at or near the weight of my Harleys.

And no, would not even consider a pair of the ever pitched ohlin shocks that so many feel the need to chime in about in every single shock thread that comes up. Not because of the shocks, but because of the treatment received by owners of them that were not happy with them, or had problems with them, and had the gall to say so on this and other forums I've read. From what I read over the years, here and other places online, you better love them and bend over backwards to kiss the vendors ***, or you'll be treated as a complete moron by said vendor. He's right, he's the shock expert, and your an idiot if you don't just love them to death and fawn all over them.

No thanx.

Btw, got my HD premiums for about 375 with a dealer 30 percent off yearly promotion. Similar discounts available from the 20% discount dealers. Very happy with them. Would recommend them to anyone who asked. But then again, I don't feel the need to bash anything the moco sells, just because they sell it. I predict they will be standard equip in a year or two. Kinda surprised they are not already. Having debuted on the CVO street glide a few years back, figured it was just a matter of time before they became standard. Time will tell.

Last edited by flyingace; 08-09-2011 at 01:47 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:33 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson

No, the length of the shock isn't adjustable but HD offers two sizes: 12" or the standard 13".

Yes, the preload is hydraulically adjustable without tools via a **** that sits behind the saddlebag.

No damping and compression aren't adjustable, but the Ohlins that are, #3, cost nearly double even with Howard's generous discount.

I don't doubt the Ohlins #3s are better shocks if set up properly. But I reckon the HD premium ride shocks will perform fine on a bike that I won't be taking to the track, and at $424 delivered I had enough cash leftover to buy HD's Premium Ride Double Cartridge Fork Kit.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

If Harley fit their premium shocks as standard it seems very likely there will be far fewer owners changing shocks, but if they do that it will be LONG overdue.

I've only read of one Ohlins customer who was seriously unhappy with his shocks and the service he got, who has bleated long and hard about it. In more recent threads he has admitted they are fine.

As for those of us who pop up frequently, the subject of shocks is like oil threads, they just keep coming. Newcomers deserve to learn that nirvana IS available, despite the nay-sayers!

I doubt if any Ohlins owner is going to spend out on a set of premium shocks, just to satisfy their curiosity! Some of us have tried several alternative shocks already thanks.

Last edited by grbrown; 08-09-2011 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Extra para.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:31 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Old 08-09-2011, 05:53 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I've never ridden my 09 EG Classic with the stock shocks,I had the SG air shocks installed before I rode away from the dealer when the bike was new.I always ride solo and played around with air pressure alot until I found the sweet spot.I didn't realize how rough these shocks were until I installed the HD Premium Ride shocks this past spring.The bike doesn't hammer nearly as bad when I hit one of our Nova Scotia potholes,and the rear of the bike feels much more planted on rough sections in the twisties.I'm happy with my purchase and the price was right at 20% off.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:04 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Newcomers deserve to learn that nirvana IS available, despite the nay-sayers!
Lol, no one's knocking Ohlins in this thread, it's HD's standard length premium ride shock that's being dogpiled despite no one actually trying it yet.

btw, this is what's on my TDM900 just so I don't get accused of bias or ignorance

Old 08-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running the 12in HD Premium low shocks on my 09 Street Glide for about 9 months now. They are by far the best shock i've had on a Harley and i'm very pleased with them. I've tried the Progressive 940s, a pair of $800 custom Race Techs, and of course the standard air shocks. The only thing i haven't tried is the Ohlins, so unfortunately i can't compare them to the HD Premiums. I think most Street Glide owners that want a better ride, while keeping their stock ride height, will be very happy with the 12in Premium lows.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:05 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

I think you are totally misinformed, I have not ran the HD Premium but have ran Progressives and Ricors with descent results , lately I have done more multi state trips and wasn't happy with my suspension and decided to buy Ohlins , I knew going in Howard was a no nonsense straight shooting guy because I too had read many of his post and had gathered he expects the customer to do research on shocks and participate in their selection , knowing this I went to his web and read not the different Ohlins products but his section on shocks in general , the different types and the plus and minus of each (which I suggest everyone do before buying any brand of shocks as this is generic information that can help you) after this I called Howard and told him I wanted some shocks , these were my needs and what was I was interested in based on my research and for his thoughts , he agreed with my decision and told me why and I placed the order , Howard wants everyone to call him when they arrive so he can walk you through your new shocks , my shocks showed up Saturday about 9am , I downloaded Howard's installation instructions and read them along with the Ohlins instructions that came with the bike and decided to install them Sunday , Saturday about 5pm I get a call from Howard , I know your shocks arrived and I haven't heard from you , go get them lets get them on the bike , Howard went over the shocks with me and I hung up with a much better understanding than I had from reading everything , I installed them and went for a ride Sunday , once I have them broken in and adjusted I'll do a full review , after my ride I emailed Howard a question on them and set down and got something to drink , 30 minutes later about 7:30 pm Sunday night Howard calls , he had read my email and just got back from going for a ride with a guy that he had installed the same shocks I bought on earlier that day and wanted to answer my questions and share with me things they did on his that might help me , I thought from reading his past post I might regret this decision but so far all I can say is no one has ever gave me this type of customer service , I will give an honest opinion on the Ohlins later
Originally Posted by flyingace

Old 08-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Coolhawg6622
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dc1450
Didn't mean to rain on your parade but it seems profit at the Mo Co is more important than customer satisfaction. Good luck with your shocks man.

You go to work for free??

And I agree

It took you how long to figure this out?

Quick Reply: H.D. premium ride shocks.