Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP almost no rear brake!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 04:25 PM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Sometimes, if the rear brake pads are severely worn, the brake will act like it is low on fluid. You might check the thickness of the brake pads. And, I also don't care how you stop your bike.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Brooklyn Devil Dog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The likely hood of locking up the rear in a panic/emergency stop are increased if you use the rear only most of the time.
The OP has ABS.

Also, rear brakes are used mostly at low speeds, front & rear together at high speeds.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:46 AM
ncbeast
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cochon
Sometimes, if the rear brake pads are severely worn, the brake will act like it is low on fluid. You might check the thickness of the brake pads. And, I also don't care how you stop your bike.

I stopped by the auto parts store on the way home yesterday and picked up some DOT4. The guy at the counter also said to check the pads because they could be really worn causing them to use more fluid. He said if I just add fluid then when I do replace the pads there will be too much fluid.

I need to check the pads as well but do not have a new set to compair to to see how thick they should be. I looked at the front ones and they do look thin but the front lever is still nice and firm. I will order some Lyndall Z+ pads but I am moving on Friday and need to get the bike to the new house 11 miles away. I would like to top off the brake fluid to get me there but if I need to change the pads, when I have the time to do so I will just use a surenge to pull out some of the brake fluid before putting in the new pads.

How does this all sound?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:33 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Sounds like a plan.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:19 AM
ncbeast
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, took the master cyclinder cover off and much to my surprise it was almost empty. I filled it up with some new DOT4 and put the cover back on and the pedal really firmed up. I did not get a chance to take it for a ride but I know it is OK now. I still need to take the bag off and take a look at the pads but I bet they are very thin. This will get me to the new house and I will order some Lyndall pads and replace them soon.

Thanks for all of the help.

If anyone has some tips they want to pass along with changing all of the pads, that would be great as well.

Attached Thumbnails HELP almost no rear brake!-almost-dry-rear-master-cyclinder.jpg  
Old 08-11-2011, 10:42 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Wow, that was low! Did you check for any leaks? I'd compress the brakes a bunch while in the garage and give it a good look over. I know this happens when pads wear over time, but you said it was completely fine last week I believe. Of course if it was just about level to the piston, as soon as it went a bit more down and got air in there, that would make sense. But a good look over can't hurt.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 08-11-2011, 11:15 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by longrideshields-1
Wow, that was low! Did you check for any leaks? I'd compress the brakes a bunch while in the garage and give it a good look over. I know this happens when pads wear over time, but you said it was completely fine last week I believe. Of course if it was just about level to the piston, as soon as it went a bit more down and got air in there, that would make sense. But a good look over can't hurt.
10-4. That fluid did not just evaporate. You must have a leak somewhere and better to find it before you head out on a trip. I had a brake issue a few years ago after an Indy did some work on my bike. Suffice to say he never worked on it again. Pump away at the brakes and chances are you will find fluid escaping somewhere.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:17 AM
slothy
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and if it got the low, prob got some air in the system too.

i would be looking for leaks at fittings/switch or the possibility your line got rubbed thru somewhere

Old 08-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

The pads can wear completely out until its just a metal backing plate grinding against your rotor and you will still have a good amount of fluid in the master cylinder, unless you have a leak. I strongly suspect a leak in your line or caliper.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:51 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil
You should be using mostly the front brake anyway. The front brake does 85-90% of the work. The likely hood of locking up the rear in a panic/emergency stop are increased if you use the rear only most of the time. Once underway I almost never use the rear brake. Only in hard stopping situations will I apply the rear brake while at speed. Not slamming just trying to educate. Proper braking is very important.

Neil
RDMC
totally disagree with this statement, and,......that fluid WENT SOMEWHERE!

Quick Reply: HELP almost no rear brake!