Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP almost no rear brake!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 08:30 PM
ncbeast
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP almost no rear brake!

I have a 2008 Road Glide with Brembo ABS 9500 miles. Left this morning to go for a ride and at the first stop rear brake pedal went all the way down and just barley slowed the bike. I used a lot of front brake and turned around and went back home and parked it back in the garage. I have not had a chance to take a look yet but what do you guys think could be the problem? It was fine last week when I went for a ride and I have not done anything to the bike since. Could the pads just be worn and need to be replaced or could the fluid be low? I would think if it were the pads they would start grinding or scrubing like a car does. Again I have not even taken the bag off to take a look yet.

Thanks in adance for any help.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:42 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,025 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Someone on here found their rear master cylinder almost dry the other day. I would check the fluid level in the MC and also check to see that the rear brake line does not have a hole in it from the clutch cable rubbing on it, if that is how yours is routed.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

You should be using mostly the front brake anyway. The front brake does 85-90% of the work. The likely hood of locking up the rear in a panic/emergency stop are increased if you use the rear only most of the time. Once underway I almost never use the rear brake. Only in hard stopping situations will I apply the rear brake while at speed. Not slamming just trying to educate. Proper braking is very important.

Neil
RDMC

Old 08-07-2011, 09:16 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like Dawg said I am betting on fluid being low.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:21 PM
rleggs
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My rear brakelight switch was leaking fluid and caused the problem your having. As the others have said the 1st thing to ck is you fluid level. If low find the source.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:31 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,223 Likes on 2,468 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil
You should be using mostly the front brake anyway. The front brake does 85-90% of the work. The likely hood of locking up the rear in a panic/emergency stop are increased if you use the rear only most of the time. Once underway I almost never use the rear brake. Only in hard stopping situations will I apply the rear brake while at speed. Not slamming just trying to educate. Proper braking is very important.

Neil
RDMC
actually it's more like 70/30, and you should use your rear brake in conjunction with your front brake most of the time, not almost never.

not slamming, just trying to educate. proper braking is very important.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:35 PM
ncbeast
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I will check the fluid. Couple of questions on that, I have not had any leaking that I have seen on the garage floor? When I check the rear master cyclinder fluid does the bike need to be level, on a jack or lift? Also should I go get some HD brake fluid or will another brand work just as well to top it off?

Old 08-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Bigwillie
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Neil
RDMC
ok, so does he just leave it the way it is?

Old 08-07-2011, 09:52 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ncbeast
Thanks guys, I will check the fluid. Couple of questions on that, I have not had any leaking that I have seen on the garage floor? When I check the rear master cyclinder fluid does the bike need to be level, on a jack or lift? Also should I go get some HD brake fluid or will another brand work just as well to top it off?
You can see the fluid thru the sight glass. The bike does need to be level, but if it aint then you can sorta interpolate where it would be when upright.

If low fluid is your problem then you wont be able to see any fluid at all.

You may not see a leak on the floor in the garage as it would only leak a serious amount when you are applying the brake.

And personally unlike neil I dont give a fark about how you stop your bike -front brake, rear brake or dragging your feet. Whatever works for you.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:57 PM
karbar99
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neil
RDMC
Not really relevant to the question he was asking.

Quick Reply: HELP almost no rear brake!