Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I extend the warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 57 Posts

The extended warranty is to the MoCo's advantage, that's why they sell it.

You feel unlucky- buy it.

You feel your bike is solid, save your money.

Just me - seems stupid to pre-pay for a future break down that may NOT happen ...

your results may vary ...

Old 08-11-2011, 07:59 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Charlie
The extended warranty is to the MoCo's advantage, that's why they sell it.

You feel unlucky- buy it.

You feel your bike is solid, save your money.

Just me - seems stupid to pre-pay for a future break down that may NOT happen ...

your results may vary ...
Mine varied. The ESP has paid out over $3000 it tires, towing, and labor for my bike. And it's not 2 years old yet. I've been through 2 compensators, 2 stereos, a rear pulley, a clutch, a rear brake light switch, and had the top end of my motor come apart. In less than 2 years.

Smartest move I made was getting the ESP, 'cause I've got a hair less than 5-1/2 years left on it, and averaging 25,000-30,000 miles a year, I wear stuff out. That pre-payment I made paid off better than Vegas.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Steel Billet
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VTGlideRider
I'm going to be looking at this decision early next year as well, and not being a DIY person I am leaning towards shopping price and purchasing it, however, I've done a stage 1 mod. Do you get the same hassles with the ESP as you do from the dealers with the original warranty about "you did blah blah blah your warranty is voided!"? Yes I realize they can't void the entire warranty and would have to prove that the modded part caused the malfunction, etc, but I was wondering what experience those of you who have the ESP have had if you have done simple mods...something the OP may want to consider as well.
This is what I question too and I think my Street Glide is still in warranty but I dont know if I voided it when I added true duals, stage 1 mod and the ThunderMax ECM. I'm thinking if some issue comes up they will not cover it because it is no longer factory stock. To me the gamble is not if the motorcycle breaks down and if I bought the extended warranty I would still hope that it didn't. My gamble would be will they cover it when or if it does. All that to say I will not buy the extended warranty because of my ignorance.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:40 PM
eazyduzzit
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never spent a dime on a warranty, and I've saved enough by not paying for warranties over the years to pay for a new bike.
I'd bet they make more off of warranties than they do from selling bikes.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by eazyduzzit
I've never spent a dime on a warranty, and I've saved enough by not paying for warranties over the years to pay for a new bike.
I'd bet they make more off of warranties than they do from selling bikes.
a fact-

Actually HD made more money on Financing Bikes than Profit on selling bikes in 2010 ... so I read here in a news article ... Broke people will pay any interest rate to get a new bike Out The Door ! and then they plan to refinance at a lower rate, (if they qualify) ...

Extended Warranty's are GOOD for some who puts on many many miles per year ...

Old 08-12-2011, 04:29 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote=Cosmic Charlie;8685514]a fact-

Extended Warranty's are GOOD for some who puts on many many miles per year ...[/quote]

Exactly!

If you ride 10k miles a year or more it can be worth it as something will eventually wear out or break.

Also I noticed that the price of the HD ESP went up in the past few months. A 5 year ESP which included wheel and tire was $1899 back in April and is now $2099.

Last edited by mattman22033; 08-12-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:50 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Another good thing about ESP is if you sell the bike. What time is left on ESP can be a good incentive to the buyer.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:54 PM
gliding10
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the guys that have made mods to their bikes. I just went thru this when my rings on my pistons let go digging some nice grooves into my cylinders. I have a stage 4 103 big bore kit installed from the dealer I bought it from. According to Harley Davidson any big bore kit bigger than a stage 2 kit has no warranty
I'm a do it yourself guy and I never planned on extending my warranty but it is a crap shoot and if u plan on increasing cubic inches keep that in mind. Plus install your own kits and don't trust the mechanics unless u know their work really well.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:15 PM
psychocircus
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

well, my factory one expired, 1 week before while on vac in maggie valley, my abs light started coming on solid. i bought the esp soon as i got home and already had my dealer write up the r.o. so would be covered by the factory one since i could not get the scoot to them before it ran out as i was oncall service. dropped it off today ( shitty cuz it was super day fer riding!) abs light, cigar lighter, master cylinder leak, and small leak on that one sensor at the front of the primary...forget what it is called right now but, it will all be fixed at no cost to me! yippy! i love my dealer...since it was only going in for abs and inspection and they added the rest to the existing r.o., now had the not... it would be covered under the new esp with a $50 bill from my pocket but i used that to by a new cooler! i like the feeling of knowing its covered for 4 more years and with the tire and wheel package makes it a no brainer with stock rubbers running over $200 plus labor for the rear. and if the rim gets damaged...well, im only looking at $50 bucks instead of an arm and a leg...
i thinks its worth the coin

Old 08-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Ride a lot and hard get it, if polish and look at it a lot in the garage save your $$$.

Quick Reply: Should I extend the warranty?