Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Street Glide Tranny Knock

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 02:05 PM
SedonaMD
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RHillbilly
mine made same noise it is the clutch rod not seated right it will usually go away with a clutch adj mine did
I have had mine adjusted twice once at the 1,000 mile service and at the dealer the other day. Made no difference.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:14 PM
sg2007
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a 2011 FLHX,had the same noise coming from tranny when hot and in neutral.After the 1000 mile service it quiet it down a bit,but i added Amsoil severe gear 75w-140 to tranny.The noise on mine has almost disappeared. Just keep riding,it should quiet down after a few thousnd more miles,as long as theres oil in tranny you should have no problems.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:57 PM
CANADIAN HARLEY
Advanced
Exclamation trans noise

My 2011 street glide / 103 has the same noise and goes away with clutch pulled in.
Went to dealer and complained and tried to show noise and bike stopped doing it ??

I also have a thread started about this / check my posts to see replies.
Here is my thread if it helps https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-question.html

Last edited by CANADIAN HARLEY; 08-15-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:03 PM
VineRider
Cruiser

I have an '11 Ultra Classic...Get transmission noise when in neutral with the clutch disengaged. When you engage the clutch in neutral, noise goes away. Only does this when the transmission is really heated up. Really loud on the right side where the clutch cable goes into the transmission. I (and many others on this forum) have taken to the dealer and the noise is determined to be normal. Due to neutral rollover. FDHOG had a very good write up on this. Search for "transmission noise neutral FDHOG" and you'll get a hit on the explanation.

I had read the forum posts here before I took mine in to the dealer to have it looked at. I didn't mention any of this to the dealer as I wanted to see if they would confirm what other dealers had said. They did confirm the issue, gave me a tracking number with Harley in case something ever comes of it. Harley is assuring the dealers that this is a benign noise and is not damaging in any way to the tranny.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...nny-noise.html

I have the same noise on my 2011 Road King with the 96 engine. FD's thread explains what he found. I hear it a lot more in a garage

Old 08-15-2011, 05:04 PM
SedonaMD
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by CANADIAN HARLEY
My 2011 street glide / 103 has the same noise and goes away with clutch pulled in.
Went to dealer and complained and tried to show noise and bike stopped doing it ??

I also have a thread started about this / check my posts to see replies.
Here is my thread if it helps https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-question.html
Get it good and hot thats when mine starts and gets louder as heat goes up. Thanks for the link.

Last edited by SedonaMD; 08-15-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:20 PM
SedonaMD
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by VineRider
I have an '11 Ultra Classic...Get transmission noise when in neutral with the clutch disengaged. When you engage the clutch in neutral, noise goes away. Only does this when the transmission is really heated up. Really loud on the right side where the clutch cable goes into the transmission. I (and many others on this forum) have taken to the dealer and the noise is determined to be normal. Due to neutral rollover. FDHOG had a very good write up on this. Search for "transmission noise neutral FDHOG" and you'll get a hit on the explanation.

I had read the forum posts here before I took mine in to the dealer to have it looked at. I didn't mention any of this to the dealer as I wanted to see if they would confirm what other dealers had said. They did confirm the issue, gave me a tracking number with Harley in case something ever comes of it. Harley is assuring the dealers that this is a benign noise and is not damaging in any way to the tranny.
Thats mine to a T. I will search for the thread. Does it explain what neutral rollover is? I admit to not being very tech savy and have not heard the term before. Thanks for the info nice to hear I am not the only one having issues. Bike was always quiet before seems like if it was normal it would have been noisy from the start. Either way I would think with the noise it's making it would have to be causing wear on something. Appreciate the info.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:59 PM
SedonaMD
2nd Gear

Found this thread from awhile back. Reposted below for anyone intrested. Best explanation I have read so far. Can't say it satisfies me as the noise is quite loud on my SG and sounds like complete a##. Anyone have this sound develop into a problem or find away to get rid of it? I think I will switch the fluid to see if it at least quiets the knock. But still going to keep on the dealer so at least it is documented and get a case number from the moco like others have done.

Originally Posted by FDHOG
Found a very interesting article on the net explaining the noise my RKC is making when hot.
It's not specifically for Harleys or motorcycles, but for manual driven vehicles in general.

"Neutral Rollover Rattle has the same characteristics as gear rattle except that rollover occurs with the engine idling, transmission in NEUTRAL, and the clutch engaged (clutch pedal released).
The rollover noise intensity increases with transmission operating temperature and engine torque load resulting from air conditioning and generator.
Neutral rollover noise is not detrimental to the engine or transmission.
In vehicles where the engine idle speed is below specification or rough, a harsh clattering noise like loose marbles in the transmission may be heard.
Rollover Noise caused by engine torsional vibrations and Clutch Release Bearing Noise are sometimes mistaken for Transmission Bearing Noise. Neutral rollover noise will disappear when the transmission is engaged in gear.
Due to a constant running clutch release bearing (used for the hydraulic clutch release mechanism), noise caused by a worn or damaged clutch release bearing will be noticeable with the clutch engaged or disengaged (clutch pedal released or depressed).
Transmission service will not eliminate gear rollover noise or clutch release bearing noise."

Kinda makes me feel better. Maybe I just need an idle adjustment.
Back to the dealer anyway.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:02 PM
VineRider
Cruiser

Here are a couple good posts on this issue. SedonaMD, you're last post is from the last link I pasted in below. I'm just going to ride the thing and not worry about it. I've researched this extensively on this forum and others (v-twin, Harley-Davidson forums) etc. and all posts wind up saying the same thing...annoying, but benign.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/652692-strange-noise-in-neutral.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/573128-my-tranny-rattle-explanation.html