Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra handling vs Dyna (Observations)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 02:36 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Ultra handling vs Dyna (Observations)

Just did a 7600 mile trip to the west coast on my Dyna, got home last Sat. Jumped on my Ultra Friday for a ride through South Beach and Key Biscayne after work and man what a crappy ride it was. I have Ohlins # 3 on my Dyna with a custom built internal set up on the font end, basically Ohlins springs with race tech emulators and a few custom machined parts to allow twisting of the springs without causing sticktion (sp), also have a mechanism on top of the tubes that lets me adjust the compression externally so I can switch from sporty riding to touring quickly. This is for reference to what I am now used to as of now.
Well I jumped on my Ultra and thought the steering head was about to fall apart, tires maybe under inflated, wheel bering going again, nope its just the shitty front end, there is a weak link up there and its between where the forks attach to the trees or the trees themselves. I tested play in the Dyna and the Ultra by violently turning the bars back and forth while sitting on the bikes, there is three times more play in the Ultra between the bars and the wheel turning, I have to think this is caused by the weak trees on teh ultra, not so much as week but the design is different, it only pinches at one point where the Dyna pinches laterally on two points on each leg. Not biching about my Ultra just an observation, put a couple hundred on it in Miami traffic and am used to the handling again. I will say this , the Ultra brakes are light years ahead of the Dyna.

Last edited by masterblaster; 08-21-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:51 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2 completely different scoots. I imagine the handling characteristics would be different.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Lots of touring riders haven't had the pleasure of riding on a Dyna. It's a different feel, for sure. If I could, I'd have a Wide Glide parked next to my Road King for those days when I'd prefer a pure, stripped down ride.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:02 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Very surprising report given the rave reviews on the 09 and up touring frames.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:02 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Don't get me wrong my 09 Ultra is light years ahead of my 07 RKC, just surprised at the diff in front end stability after a long ride on the upgraded Dyna.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:25 PM
harleycat225
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read an article in "Baggers" October issue about a product called "Tour Trac Tree". Said it gives better handling on baggers. It is made by CCE, Custom Cycle Engineering. Looks like it would beef the front end up a lot.....

Old 10-17-2011, 12:57 PM
greentp99
6th Gear

I have been looking into the 'Tour Trac' for my 08 Glide. I spent 4800 miles battling a high speed wobble the would show up between 80 and 90mph. Recently my buddy was test riding it for me and almost lost it in a curve because of the this issue. I have tried the 'Tour Link' and the 'Smooth Rider' solutions, Changed Tires, changed Suspensions, Re-torqued the neck bearing bolt multiple times, but I still get the same problem. I have decided to spend the big money and get this product to see if it corrects my issues. Would like to know if anyone else has had luck with this product but I am will to be the guinea pig if need be. I guess it is a good thing to see that the newer bikes are having steering head issues also... Does anyone know if the 09 Triple tree is the same as the 08?

Old 10-17-2011, 01:02 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
Lots of touring riders haven't had the pleasure of riding on a Dyna. It's a different feel, for sure. If I could, I'd have a Wide Glide parked next to my Road King for those days when I'd prefer a pure, stripped down ride.
Yeah I've always said that myself....oh well were def not made of $

Old 10-17-2011, 01:45 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Let's see.

A smaller lighter Dyna with mucho denaro in suspension upgrades compared to a larger, heavier, boat of an Ultra with stock suspension.

I'd surely hope the Dyna handles better!

Old 07-15-2013, 09:59 AM
BigMacNebraska
3rd Gear

Tucci: I realize that this is an old posting but did you ever get and install the Tour Trac triple tree in your Ultra. I have an 06 and am looking for any input from someone has done something like this. Thanks...'Mac"

Quick Reply: Ultra handling vs Dyna (Observations)