Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dump $8 grand into 2010 SG or bite the bullet on 2012CVO

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 12:06 PM
risuperglidecustomman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've got a little over 10K into my 2012 FLHX. A dude parked next to me the other day with a CVO Street Glide & liked mine better! LOL Enough said!

Old 08-27-2012, 12:11 PM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CVO is an awesome bike but you put that much money up and you will still pull up to one just like it at a local bike night. build your own with the money and it is one of a kind. thats my opinion. i had the choice between mine and the green CVO when i was at dealer. glad i got mine instead because isee ton of the green in my area

Old 08-27-2012, 12:53 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,627 Posts

The next bike will probably be the last bike that I buy as I tend to keep bikes a lot longer than I did in my earlier years.

My "road bike" now is a 2000 Ultra that I bought new and it now has about 79,000 miles on it and it still looks pretty good and has a lot of upgrades, including a Baker DD6 trans.
The "plan", for many years was to get an Annniversary Edition Ultra in 2013. Well, the Anniversary color this year just doesn't do anything for me and even the BOSS gave me the "OK" for a CVO Ultra!

The "110" engine, as is, would be fine with me as I don't ride hard or fast and as long as I could do away with the "cats" (and the heat) and get a good sounding (probably Rineharts) mufflers I'd be happy with the stock CVO Ultra (maybe different handlebars).

Bikes are NOT investments, they're luxuries, so to me, it's a matter of what makes each individual happy.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Some of the advantages of a CVO is that you can finance the purchase if you wish. You can spend most of your first year riding, instead of having a torn apart bike all the time. Everything is well sorted out when you first ride it home, and you do not need to take the risk that your upgrades to suspension and engine will work well together.

Harley will warranty the entire bike. Once you start changing out pipes and engine work you are mostly on your own. You lose this 2 year worry free experience.

CVO's are the premium, top of the line offering from Harley. They certaintly hold their value much better than personalized modified bikes.

There are lots of threads from personalized riders that they want to trade up to a new bike but are so upside down on all their custom parts that they are stuck with their older bikes.

Many look at their Harleys as personalized fashion statements, even more that the riding experience. For these people, even a CVO is only a starting point for them to take to even an higher level.

Nice thing about Harley is that the offer so many choices that there is something for everybody.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Stew Pidaso
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep the '10. You can find good deals online for the things to make it your own. 8 grand goes a long way. Example: I bought my CVO slant strech bottoms for $360 delivered

Old 08-27-2012, 04:23 PM
FL-kruzen
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

They have 2012 Ultra CVO at my local dealer. $43K! I just can't see paying that kind of cash on a bike. But $43K to someone who got money is notten, but to me it's a lot of bones. I get my thrills from wrenching and riding.