Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with New Speedo/Tach Combo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 11:50 AM
2010 Raffel Road King
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Latest on Problem with New Speedo/Tach Combo?

I purchased one of these Speedo/Tach Combo units in June. I'm currently on my 3rd gauge. The instrumentation and lighting features all work great.

My issue has been contaminated glass inside the sealed unit. Once the unit is explosed to prolonged sunlight there's a chemical residue that forms inside the unit and sticks to the glass.

I've alerted my dealer, called Harley and everybody just wants to keep giving me the run around. This unit is defective from the production line. Before the unit is sealed they must be cleaning the glass and no letting it dry before it's sealed.

At first I thought it was a fluke, but after the 3rd unit I'm positive these units are not right. Anyone who has the unit listed below, please check yours out and post your findings please! Go out in the sun and look at the glass closely. There will be a film inside the unit. My original stock Speedo had condensation once but it was water and it went away. This substance sticks to the glass and dries on it.

If I can't get a resolution to this issue, I'm going to return the part and have them set my stock Speedo to my current mileage and get my money back. I hate to do that because I love the unit it's just a pain that glass is fogged with this film. I thought I'd send this post out first and see if I'm just getting a bad batch of these or is the problem everywhere.

Funny as I'm typing this Harley called and wanted to know if my Dealer had called in yet. They won"t seem to do anything without my dealer talking to them first. I'll keep you posted!

My part number is 70900070

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Last edited by 2010 Raffel Road King; 09-18-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:05 PM
blarg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

crap!

that's exactly the gauge I want to get!

Old 08-26-2011, 12:28 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

those look real nice i want a tach for my 2008 flhrc ... $300 is kinda spendy .. but might be worth it if they resolve the issue.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:35 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Raffel, is the Dealer replacing those units for you? You said this was your third. All of them doing the same thing?? My GF wants one for her Deluxe but I am gonna hold off till I see what folks report back here on this. I still question the effectiveness of the tachometer since its so damn small in the gauge face.....I mean, can you really see it going down the highway??? The lights and all that jazz is cool, ought to be for $300!!!

Old 08-26-2011, 12:46 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked at the gauge on the display at my local Hog dealer. Even shows what gear you're in if you can see the small figures. I like the digital speedo with analog tach I had on my RKC.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:47 PM
upstate tim
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand some gauges have a coating on the inside of the glass for anti-fogging.
Some vinyls and plastics emit a gas, of sorts when sunlight beats down on it. Leave a new car in the sun for a while and the inside of the windshield gets a film on it from the vinyl dashboard.

Good luck

Tim

Old 08-26-2011, 01:09 PM
steak guy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the sane guage for three months now and it has been great. Took a while for me to figure out how to program in the backlight colors but otherwise I have not had the probelm the OP talks about. This is also after a ride from Toronto down to the Blue Ridge and back up thru Delaware. With a bit too much rain....

Old 08-26-2011, 02:32 PM
cruzmisl
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My stocker had the same issue you talk about so I bought the one biggdawg posted a picture of and same thing. I got mine used for $150 so I can't complain about it but its still b@llshit. For $300 get these issues sorted out man!

Old 08-26-2011, 02:42 PM
rgrecco
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the same gauge for about 6 months now and I LOVE IT!!!

Have put about 5000 sun filled miles on it... Mines still fine...

RON

Old 08-27-2011, 12:52 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGdawg
I like the digital speedo with analog tach I had on my RKC.

I've had this one for the past couple years. No issues, and the large size of the tach makes it very easy to see. The accuracy of the digital speedo is spot-on according to my GPS.

Quick Reply: Problem with New Speedo/Tach Combo?