Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Tell me the truth!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 190 Posts

Have owned 30 Harley's, one RG and four wings....
Now as for the headlights...other than a very slow turn in a parking lot no headlight will follow the turn, other than my trike which you drive the bike through the turn..all this headlight crap...some of you have no idea of what you speak....no batwing, road king trrns their handle bars in a sweeper, if they do it won't be for long...crash-bang! You lean into a turn!!

Like I said, other than a trike, all the headlights will be straight....duh!

As for the heat, it'll be the same...

As for wind, I found the RG had more buffeting....might have been just me. And I added the vented lowers to my 2010 RG...

Don't let the headlight issue bother you....not an issue at all.

Last edited by Casper; 08-28-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:48 AM
vbx07
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you plan on putting a lot of mile's on your bike, don't buy a harley, unless your prepared to deal with it's many issue's, heat, crank, radio, and the list goes on. Willie G. should be punched in his neck! Buy american! If I'm ever lucky enough to be in a position to buy a new bike, it won't be a harley. I would look at the victory.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:49 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

The Truth?

The truth is that the BMW GS1200 is a better and more versatile bike in nearly every measurable way than a Harley. Keep it.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:56 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,713 Likes on 5,221 Posts

Originally Posted by flgator529
Ok guys I need your honest opinion.Please be dont speak from your hart like we guys tend to do when taking about Harleys tell me from your head. I sold my 2008 Street Glide back in Feb. I was tired of the heat from the engine, incurable wind buffeting around the bat wing and indifference from Harley dealers. I thought my BMW GS 1200 would satisfy all of my riding need’s and it does but it does not fulfill my passion like a Harley does. I was at a Harley dealer last week and the 2012 Road Glide is really calling my name! Will it be any better with heat and buffeting? Has anyone gone from bat to shark? From 2008 to 2012 or 2011 and was the heat any better?
I own a RGU anmd had a RG before that put 60K on the RG and have 12K on RGU now I have none of the problems I read about.
I never heard of wind buffeting on a SG from anyone I know personaly.
BMW nice ride they have there issue also.
Victory's are just boring honda's spelled different with a bit of arlen ness throw in
I must just be lucky rode a lot of miles on HD and never had all these internet HD problems never had a dealer treat me bad.
Now my FB has some wind buffeting no wind shield may be tha cause.
if you try a RG or RGU make sure it has a real windshield that little 5-6 junk don't do anything

Old 08-28-2011, 10:00 AM
flgator529
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
The Truth?

The truth is that the BMW GS1200 is a better and more versatile bike in nearly every measurable way than a Harley. Keep it.
Oh the GS will not be going anywhere. It is the best all-around bike ever made. It will stay in the garage with the other 6 bikes I have at this time just missing having a Harley! Just unsure about Bat or Shark and if any of the heat isues have been addresed by the MoCo.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:12 AM
JUICEDSS
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I went from a 09 SG to a 10 RG. I had a 10" windshield on the StreetGlide. No buffeting issues. I always had a Captain Itch crotch cooler so heat doesn't bother me.

I got the 10 RoadGlide and the stock windshield was useless. I got a used stock windshield off an 05 and it was ok. I just picked up a 16" Windvest in Sturgis and it is now perfect for me. I also have Sancho's wings on the fairing as well. The Windvest made the difference for my wife on the back as a bonus.

I'm 6'4 with a 34" inseam.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:16 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 284 Likes on 215 Posts

Oh the GS will not be going anywhere. It is the best all-around bike ever made. It will stay in the garage with the other 6 bikes I have at this time just missing having a Harley! Just unsure about Bat or Shark and if any of the heat isues have been addresed by the MoCo.
Since this bike is not your only ride, consider buying an 88". I rented a new ultra (2010) and that thing was way, way, way HOT, but it was completly stock. I was riding in a rain storm with rain gear on, got stuck in traffic and the inside pant legs of my rain suit melted (not from the pipes, but from the high heat comming from the engine).

The dealership suggested and let me go for an extended ride on an 88" and it was alot cooler. That is why I sought out an 88" when I bought. It still gets hot, but by no means as hot as the 96. I've only rode a 103 for about 30 min, so not a good test for the heat (can't help you there, but I can't imagine its better)

You can have a Harley without the excessive heat issues.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:34 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by metfancowboy
Again with the stereo crap? Who are the people riding these bikes Vern Troyer?
1. You have handlebar controls FOR the radio.
2. I'm average height,with short arms. If I feel the strange need to touch the radio. I can easily.
hahahaha, I read your post then saw your avatar and thought hmmmmmmm could it be

Old 08-28-2011, 11:16 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Heat is going to be the same or worse on any model after 2007. Prior to that they ran a lot cooler (owned 2 of em). The best way to deal with the heat is a good re tune. I put the SERT on both my 07 and 09, had it dyno tuned, run Syn3, and the frame mount heat deflectors. Both are still a bit warmer than my 03 and 05 were, but nothing major that is a problem except under extreme conditions. My personal opinion is a retune is the ONLY way to address the heat issue. Bandaids are a waste of time.

After 2010 your also dealing with a cat in the header. More heat. (though when I rode a 2011 cvo on a 98 degree day, can't say I noticed much of a diff personally, and that bike had lowers on it as well).

As stated, you could look into a 2006 or older, but your taking a major power hit and loosing the 6 speed, not to mention going back to the older less stiff frame, older brakes, and everything else. I would never even consider an 88 inch, without bumping it up to 95. My 88s were DOGS going up canyons with the wife on back. (we are not large people). My 07 had a true dual exhaust system, that made it cooler for the driver than the stock headers. The new exhaust design on the 09 forward DOES help, so you should take that into account vs your 08.

Far as the wind, for me, the RG has MORE buffeting. The correct windshield, and lowers would probably fix that, but I was not willing to chance being able to find the right combo after having bought the bike. And I DON'T want to run lowers, because of the added heat.

In short: 09 or newer, retune (PROPERLY=dyno tune...a stage 1 download will do ZIP for the heat) or stick to an 06 or older, with true dual exhaust headers. In the middle is an 07-08, with a retune, and true dual exhaust.

Wind buffeting? Honestly, if your SG had too much, and you tried taller windshields and lower fairing defectors, and that was still too much wind, I think your screwed.

Last edited by flyingace; 08-28-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:19 AM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok guys I need your honest opinion.Please be dont speak from your hart like we guys tend to do when taking about Harleys tell me from your head. I sold my 2008 Street Glide back in Feb. I was tired of the heat from the engine, incurable wind buffeting around the bat wing and indifference from Harley dealers. I thought my BMW GS 1200 would satisfy all of my riding need’s and it does but it does not fulfill my passion like a Harley does. I was at a Harley dealer last week and the 2012 Road Glide is really calling my name! Will it be any better with heat and buffeting? Has anyone gone from bat to shark? From 2008 to 2012 or 2011 and was the heat any better?
Why dont you rent one for the weekend and find out for yourself. Road Glides are great bikes!

Quick Reply: Please Tell me the truth!