Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat shield clanking on floorboard.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:12 PM
kmnjr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat shield clanking on floorboard.....

Has anybody experienced their VH monster oval heat shields clanking on their floorboard mounts? It's driving me nuts!

Old 09-01-2011, 08:16 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

can't shift the shields? should be a couple of "hose clamps"

who put 'em on?

mike

Old 09-01-2011, 08:22 PM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this is stupid, but have you inspected everything other than just the heat shield? I ask, because a buddy has an 03 Road King and the metal bracket holding the exhaust around the X was broken causing everything to be loose and rattle. Apparently good ol' MOCO put an inferrer part there. The metal heats up and cools over years and will snap. It creates tension on the exhaust welds and then you get an entirely new issue.

Just thought I would mention that. It's an easy fix, but they say not to ride it when its broken. Even 20 miles can damage it more.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:23 PM
2001NightTrain
Cruiser

Yep, well not monster ovals, but my Vance and Hines big shots have the same problem, to the point where they gouged the dmn floor board arms when I drove my brand new bike home (100 mile ride).

May not be a perfect answer, but my solution was to buy A set of Harley Goodies floorboard extenders. Solved the problem and made me more comfortable too. I've been meaning to try and contact Vance and Hines about this issue and ask if they would give me a new heat shield for the problem one since the chrome actually wore off at the site of the rubbing. FYI...my bike is a 2011 Road King. My busy had the same problem with his electraglide. Clearly this is a design flaw by Vance and Hines. Ive had some people say the issue sonly with the newer bikes, but I'm not sure about this. Hope this helps.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You mean the V&H head pipe or the slip-ons?

If it's the headpipe, it's possible whomever installed them didn't use the spacers.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:28 PM
kmnjr
Cruiser

Dealers done all the work, but never had any trouble until they replaced the cam last week. Heard it right away before I made it out of dealerships parking lot. They took it back in and said they didn't get it adjusted right because of the heat, didn't get it on the second try, and finally got it on the 3rd. Problem is that after the ride home it must of moved again cause it's back. Thinking of adding HarleyGoodies extensions and see if that helps.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:33 PM
kmnjr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by LMmarine86
I know this is stupid, but have you inspected everything other than just the heat shield? I ask, because a buddy has an 03 Road King and the metal bracket holding the exhaust around the X was broken causing everything to be loose and rattle. Apparently good ol' MOCO put an inferrer part there. The metal heats up and cools over years and will snap. It creates tension on the exhaust welds and then you get an entirely new issue.

Just thought I would mention that. It's an easy fix, but they say not to ride it when its broken. Even 20 miles can damage it more.
They had it on the lift 3 times and said they couldn't find anything else loose but I'll look again. Thanks!

Old 09-01-2011, 08:34 PM
kmnjr
Cruiser

It is the headpipes shield.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:37 PM
kmnjr
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2001NightTrain
Yep, well not monster ovals, but my Vance and Hines big shots have the same problem, to the point where they gouged the dmn floor board arms when I drove my brand new bike home (100 mile ride).

May not be a perfect answer, but my solution was to buy A set of Harley Goodies floorboard extenders. Solved the problem and made me more comfortable too. I've been meaning to try and contact Vance and Hines about this issue and ask if they would give me a new heat shield for the problem one since the chrome actually wore off at the site of the rubbing. FYI...my bike is a 2011 Road King. My busy had the same problem with his electraglide. Clearly this is a design flaw by Vance and Hines. Ive had some people say the issue sonly with the newer bikes, but I'm not sure about this. Hope this helps.
Sounds to me like the exact problem I have, I'll put the Extensions on tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks everyone for the quick responses and the great info!

Old 09-01-2011, 11:18 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The pipes should come with a spacer and a longer bolt (iirc on the bolt), and should not be an issue at all. I had the same problem (thinking I could get by), turned around, went home and fixed it.

Quick Reply: Heat shield clanking on floorboard.....