Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD noob could use advice on an RK

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 09:20 AM
FLCruiser
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD noob could use advice on an RK

Hi All,

My first post so I guess this is sort of an intro as well. I'll post to the intro section once I'm an owner!

I'm a relatively new rider (about a year) for a middle aged guy, but I'm thoroughly hooked. My "starter" bike and current ride is a Honda Shadow Spirit 750 which has served me well. It's become my daily driver as I now commute to work with it.

BUT, I've of late started riding with RK and Glide owners and man how that has um..corrupted me. So much so that I've been shopping...

I think I've located a nice find but I don't have enough HD experience to tell exactly what I'm looking at. Could y'all take a look at this photobucket account and see what I'm considering (there's a pic or 2 of my current ride there too just for fun).

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/Nullfield/

This bike is a 2001 with less than 2,000 miles (the tires still have molding pips). It looks like it has a few options but I'm not sure what they are. I can see it has a combo speedo/tach, a sort of "basketweave" pattern to the tank bib, windshield bag and saddlebags (was that a factory thing?) After that I'm unsure. The wheels are chrome discs, was that some trim option? What do you guys see?

It looks fuel injected though as a '01 it's likely the less desirable MM injection.

As a 11 year old bike should I be wary of leaks (didn't notice any) or dried seals/hoses etc

He wants about 11K for the bike which seems right in this region but as I'm no expert I'm hoping you can shed light on what I'm getting value-wise.

Haven't test ridden it yet but it shakes at idle maybe a bit more than I remember from the guys I rode with. That an issue?

Anyway, I'm trying to not to make an expensive mistake. I'd just appreciate smarter folks than me taking a look...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

FLcruiser,

Nice RK with a lot of add-ons. Looking through your pics here is what I see:

- Custom wheels and break rotors, stock is laced wheels and wide white walls
- Custom HD floor board inserts
- Custom HD front and rear chrome bumper and saddle bag guards (me...I would dump them, but that is my taste)
- Windshield bag is HD add on
- The speedo/tach is a HD option, speedo alone is stock.
- Not stock seat, upgrade...maybe a HD Sundowner?
- Non-stock mufflers. Considering the age they look like HD Screamin Eagle 65115-98B muffer (if so it is a highly desireable muffler, that is what I ride, love it) you will know if it has a fairly loud, nice deep rumble/roar, but not obnoxiously loud.

Looks like a well put together bike with super low miles. Don't worry about MM injection. It gets a bad rap but really is pretty decent. Price might be a bit high for my market, but if you like the add-ons it might be worth it to you. It wouldn't be a HD touring bike without a lot of engine shake at idle! Will smooth out nicely when riding. It is a rubber mounted engine.

Can't go wrong the a RK! HD's most versitle and best looking bike!

Good luck!

Last edited by Pumba11; 09-02-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:37 AM
nele22
Tourer

I would offer lower than $11k. The market is tough right now and you have the upper hand as the buyer.

Best of luck!

Old 09-02-2011, 09:42 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

She looks nice. Maybe try to get them to come down a bit. I'd go for it. Love my RK! BTW, Welcome to the Forum!

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 09-02-2011, 10:05 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

too pricey.

right away, it needs new tires- if the date code is more than 5-6 years they shouldn't be used ( if they are newer, look for signs that a low mileage speedo was swapped in)

it is possible that this garage queen was not well maintained, it's possible he just rolled in out in the driveway and revved it up to show he earned that "live to ride" license plate frame on his truck..

which is hard on the bike- as contaminates collect in the oil and the parts are soaked in that. any rust build up in the gas tank?

shaking- the whole drivetrain is mounted on rubber bushings, at idle it may bounce around some on the bushings, but at any riding speed that should smooth right out- other wise it could be a motor mount

I dunno, lot of money for an old bike--- with tires and complete fluid change ( like a 10000 mile service) you are looking at $1000 to get rolling.
--- and some dealerships are hesitant to take in bikes over 10 years old--- there is a thread on that topic

maybe use this as a jumping off point to start shopping- and get an idea of what really suits you.

You can always look up blue book values at KBB.com, check retail and trade in values- I usually hope to get somewhere in the middle of those 2 values.

2.) Honda- who cares, really. I have a trail 90 in the garage that is my #2 for saddle time ( out of 5 bikes)- I still have my 74 Kaw 900. Every rider since 1970 has probably started on an import.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-02-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:49 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Price is too high, NADA listing for the bike is $ 8,100 -$,9,200. Due to the age and fact that it has not been regulary ridden Id offer low # $ 8,000 and then go for it. For the right price youll do fine. Just looked on Cycle trader 3 2001 RK with less than 30,000 miles for $ 8900 to 10,000 and on EBay 2 2001 RK starting at $ 8500 and 9000

Nice bike, a lot of accessories. Id be leery about 11 years old and only 2000 miles. Sometimes less miles can cause problems, dry cracked seals and gaskets etc that will start to leak whenyou start riding it. First timg to do is a complete service

If the owner tells you that even though he only rode it 2000 miles it was started and run regulary in the garage dont buy into that. leaving your HD idle and run with our riding it over time can cause more problems than not running it at all, some of the lubrication in both the primary and trans requires "splash" and drive line movement to get the lube where it needs to be.

Again , if your hooked, any deal is a good one. But for a 2001 You should be able to get one for less. If you buy it do the maintaince before any riding.

Last edited by XARAN; 09-02-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:08 AM
thenewrage
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Price is too high. There are deals all over the place now days, and thats not one of them. Like others have said paying 8 for it may be ok. But your gambling with reliability if its been sitting.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

That's a good price with that miles. 10 year old RK's aren't going for $8k no matter what the "book" says. I doubt you will find much lower unless it will have 60,000 miles. With those extra's too, I would jump at it. Change out the tires and all fluids right away though. I paid $12.5 for mine with 3,700 miles, 5 years old, no extra's at all. Starting buying stuff and that can add up quick

Old 09-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,633 Likes on 3,096 Posts

The M&M injection is indeed decent, just don't try to build the bike into a dragster. The motor is super strong with a hot forged crank and a Timken Lefty bearing in the cases. ( Bearing is now available for 03 and later bikes in the P&A book, yours is standard.)

I own a bike of that era and love it, but brother I wouldn't come off $11,000 for it, more like $9,000, ( High KBB.)

It is a good bike though, Good Luck!

Old 09-02-2011, 11:41 AM
kamut
Tourer

I think it's okay to pay above book value for low miles, because book value for that bike is allowing for a ton of miles.
BUT, as others have said, the "new" tires gotta go 'cause they're not new anymore. And I wonder if it's had zero fluid changes in its life, or can the owner produce receipts for some sort of maintenance? And there's the non-running issue as others have mentioned.

You can use the tires and the fluids and non-running and book value to get the price down.
Bikes are kinda high in my area because of 12 month riding season and other things. I imagine N. Florida may be the same.
I would say $9K in my area, Southern New Mexico.

Quick Reply: HD noob could use advice on an RK