Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't Find a good radio!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
I'm not sure, but I don't think the marine version is set-up to use handlebar control, would be OK for an add-on fairing.

Biketronics sells marine head units for use with their RetroRadio kits so I would think there would be no reason they wouldn't work. But a phone call would tell for sure.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Geoff of NV
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My info might be out of date, so make of it what you like. When I looked into using a marine radio, I learned that the only difference is that the circuit boards are individually coated to resist moisture. They are NOT a sealed unit. You've still gotta be careful about getting them wet. Considering all that, I went with a basic Sony unit. When I wash the bike I pull the face and cover what's left with a baggie and tape. It's been on the bike for over 85,000 miles and still works fine (kudos to Biketronics). And yes I've been caught in rain, sometimes coming down so hard finding the road is a trick.

Riding with friends,
Geoff of NV

Old 09-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been an Alpine fan for the last 20 years now. It used to be Pioneer or nothing. A buddy in the business gave me the run down on Alpine being a spin off company of Luxman, a group who makes studio grade electronics.
Alpine has recently introduced 3 marine grade units, the later of which can take direct spray from sea water for extended times.It is water proof. It is also expensive, at $500.00. I would be happy with the mid grade model.
check here; http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/category/marine

Alpine has always had much better anti skip capability than any other brand on the market. If I ever put a stereo on my Standard Glide, it will be a marine grade Alpine. they are made for I pod and I phone connections.
good luck in your quest, I hope it stops here! Lol
My $0.02

aka Bob

ps. I've been doing some serious off roading for the last dozen years, and the only time my Alpine would skip is if I hit one of those nasty washboard sections of forest road at speeds that have your teeth rattling. Nuff said! (-;

Last edited by Turbo Turtle; 09-05-2011 at 10:53 AM. Reason: because I can
Old 09-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

The basic Biketronics radio kit I bought for my bike has a great Sony radio. I have only had it skip once, on a good sized bump, but normal riding it works fine. The radio also comes with a USB port and a port to plug the Ipod or other MP3 player into. Has 5 tuner bands (FM1, 2, 3 and AM1, 2) and with the Biketronics kit, the handlebar controls all work with it. Has great sound, even at 75-80 mph into the wind with fairly loud pipes. The Hogtune speakers have plenty of volume to them. I love the USB port, had no idea at first why it was there but once I figured it out and loaded some songs from my Ipod shuffle onto a thumb drive, I prefer it to the other options.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:11 AM
JohnCA58
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have run them all, best unit so far for me is the Alpine 305s Pandora ready, been a great radio, I dont even waste my time with CD's. those of you that want to continue using the hand controls, just add in a PAC module, easy to install and program.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Find a used HK. I've seen quite a few listed here in the past. I live on some damn rough roads, and my stock HK CD doesn't skip at all. If the HK doesn't have enough output to make you happy amplify it? With a good set of speakers, I think the HK is decent sounding, and mine isn't amplified.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Something you may want to look at is the Fusion Marine Stereo. This is a stereo I've been looking at for a while. This is what most of the higher end cruisers use on there fly bridges. The unit is 100% water proof in a sealed case.

So far the only flaw I have found is it is not set up to accept a headphone jack style steering wheel remote controls so the Biketronics controller won't work. But it is set up for a wired remote, the question is can it be made to work with the handlebar controls

It is available am/fm CD, DVD and ipod formats. Another plus is 70 watts per channel x 4

Old 09-05-2011, 03:36 PM
jndr756
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out crutchfield(i believe its crutchfield.com) they have everything as far as car audio and marine. I used to buy a ton of stuff from them when i installed car audio. contact them and they can tell which would work best for a bike or you can just look at the radios on their site and their are a bunch of them, all kinds and all brands. hope this helps

Old 09-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 146 Posts

I went with Kenwood at first but changed up to the Alpine iDA-X100 for a piece of mind in the event of rain or water spray while washing the bike.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:03 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Garemlin
Really??? Why is that?? Is it overkill to do a marine head unit. I just figure there would be less of a risk for water to get in around the faceplate and cause corrosion.
As mentioned on down the thread, most marine versions are just waterproofed boards and not sealed. I've ran my Sony non-marine unit for over a year and it has no issues. The fairing does a great job keeping water and rain away from the unit.

When I wash I never shoot water at the inner fairing. Just my .02! Again, I was told this by a very reputable audiophile, and forum member.

Quick Reply: Can't Find a good radio!!!