Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 speed on FLHPI

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Parshdude
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 speed on FLHPI

Just traded in my V-ROD yesterday for a 2004 FLHPI, she's gorgeous, but one of the first mods I really want to do is take out the 5 speen transmission and put in a sixspeed. Is this as simple a process as it semes? What all is involved and what kind of hassles can I expect? Is there anythnig in particular I should be looking for or be aware of? THanks in advance for all the help.

Oh, and if anyone wants to chime in early on project #2, I want to lower it about an inch to an inch and a half to help it fit me just that little bit better, and don't even know if its possible

Old 09-05-2011, 05:43 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 1,726 Posts

You doing the work yourself? You have the necessary specialty tools?

Old 09-06-2011, 07:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Before you start spending I suggest you put plenty of gas in the tank and ride! Get used to your 'new' bike and think things through - who knows you might get to like it exactly as it is!

Old 09-06-2011, 08:22 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Parshdude
Just traded in my V-ROD yesterday for a 2004 FLHPI, she's gorgeous, but one of the first mods I really want to do is take out the 5 speen transmission and put in a sixspeed. Is this as simple a process as it semes? What all is involved and what kind of hassles can I expect? Is there anythnig in particular I should be looking for or be aware of? THanks in advance for all the help.

Oh, and if anyone wants to chime in early on project #2, I want to lower it about an inch to an inch and a half to help it fit me just that little bit better, and don't even know if its possible

The tranny is straight forward if you're doing a complete swap. You might save some coin if you replaced just the guts. I've never been inside a Harley tranny, can't comment there.

Lowering the rear is very easy. You can start with blocks for about $30 to see if you like it. Or get some 12" shocks right off the bat. Stock shocks are 13". The front is more involved. You may be happy with just the rear. Try it first.

Welcome to the "Police Bike Owners Club". Lots of good info here:

http://www.retiredpolicebikes.com/Forums/

Old 09-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I answered your other thread in the general section.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Parshdude
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I am going to assume that I do have all the tools to do this, my collection of mechanical toos is quite extensive, I think I even have access to the parts from an '06 Electra Glide that had a run in with the back of a Ford super duty. Now as the why am I doing this...partly for the expirience of doing something like this, and more for the reason that every little bit helps on the long hauls. I have several rides of greater than 3,000 miles in mind. As i read through the forum I have seen several differnt opinions on this issue, including some that have the 6th gear and hardly use it. I am certainly not a rider out for going fast, and I do ride two up, but 70-75 is plenty for me. After all, the ride is supposed to be enjoyed, not over with as fast as possible.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:50 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

determine what gearing you want to end up with.

some 6 speeds have the same final drive as the 5 speed, just more gears in the middle- some use 6th as an overdrive.

It you want an overdrive, then you need to be sure that your motor has the torque to take advantage of it.

"drop in" 6 speed gearsets are available- some are better than others- baker drivetrain is the most respected name. "revtech" had anumber of recall issues with their early 6 speeds seizing suddenly.

easy overdrives can be achieved by changing belt pulleys, some demand a belt change, some front pulley changes can be done with out changing belt ( andrews does cams and pulleys and has info on their website)

and some guys change the compensating sprocket for gearing changes.

my 88 FXRPolice has a 61T rear pulley ( from 70T stock) which is where I got my overdrive. but the FXRP is stripped to under 400 pounds, the Evo cop motor is a high compression cammed "special". It has the torque to deal with the overdrive.
Back in 1990 when I did this, it was the only way to get an overdrive on a H-D. ( this is a bike that'll run over 115 in 4th gear, in 5th up to 138 is the fastest I've ridden it)

Without the extra power, and on a heavyweight touring bike, it would be possible for the bike to 'poop" out confronted with headwinds or a hill.

you have to consider all that--- also the twin cam motor needs good oil pressure and volume, which are dependant on RPM's. if your RPM's are too low ( or heat causes a loss of viscosity)- you loose oiling. and oil is a crucial part of the cooling system for the motor.

so couple of things to think about- get out and ride.

lowering:
lowered bikes do not handle as well, lean angle is lost.
lowering blocks can change geometry so shocks don't work as well
lowered shocks have reduced travel, so harsher ride.

Just so you are aware.

I use the stock 13" shock when touring, I use 12" shock ( from a street glide) in town, they swap over quickly.

Good shock results come from having the right air pressure- find what works for you. don't use a bicycle pump, you'll blow up your shocks or lines, get the little 'syringe" type shock pump with gauge.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-06-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:04 PM
andyp
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Baker dd6 in my(stock housinG)04 flhtc (95in, cams and so on) And i really like it .Sixth gear is a true overdrive 74mph = 2500rpm.My bike has plenty of torque for this but I wouldnt do it with a stocker.I planned on doing the install but I would have had to spend $300 for a few tools and had it done for $500. As far as lowering.I had my stock shocks lowered 1and 1/2 inches by Bitchin baggers. In my opinion it is much better than the blocks.But anytime you lower bike you will lose some of the ride.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:07 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

I have a 101HP/107TQ motor in my 1990 Glide and while travelling on German autobahns at around 90mph don't feel any need for a sixth gear. Bike sings along on stock US gearing a treat, at under 4k rpm. Sixth has only been added to later bikes to keep the noise police happy!

Old 09-06-2011, 05:30 PM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I have a 101HP/107TQ motor in my 1990 Glide and while travelling on German autobahns at around 90mph don't feel any need for a sixth gear. Bike sings along on stock US gearing a treat, at under 4k rpm. Sixth has only been added to later bikes to keep the noise police happy!
I won't debate the need for a 6th gear but I really doubt that mocco spent the green to make the local cops happy.

Quick Reply: 6 speed on FLHPI