Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Young for an Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 10:29 AM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

At 38 I bought my first Harley -- a Dyna -- thinking I would mostly be riding it around town and in the local canyons. The next summer I rode it, with my daughter on the back, to Billings, MT. Got a windshield shortly after that. We started doing more touring and, just before a trip to Canada in 2009 I bought my Road King. I was 42. Over the years I've added a tour pak and now a fairing. Anybody as old as this thread is old enough to start thinking about a bagger.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:17 AM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,836 Likes on 2,363 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
I think it has more to do with your type of riding than age.
I agree. When I started out street riding in was on mc's like 350 and 400 cc Honda's. No windscreen and tied my stuff with bungee cords to the sissy bar. I rode half the country and to Canada and Mexico and over a hundred fifty thousand miles at least between those and a Kawasaki 650, and many more thousands of miles and multi state trips on a 1200 Sportster before I got an Electra Glide and then an Ultra. The Ultra's got everything I could've put to good use back in the day. Had I known then what I know now, I definitely would've tried to get a mc properly designed for touring in the first place.

Originally Posted by slammed05fatty
trust me i know all about the whole "your too young for that bike" speach lol im 23 riding a 2011 FLHX. it all depends on how ride and the style you like i traded my 05 datboy for it. nobody can pick mine of of the group. when i ask why its for older ppl they usually say those are too expensive for the young ppl and cant afford them till later in life. wtf lol?
That was partly my issue as well when I was younger, money. The smaller bikes are cheaper to buy and if you're not putting a lot of serious miles on them that's great. If however you want to do touring a mc built for on the road touring is going to be better on the rider, whatever the riders age. I say on the road because obviously if your touring includes areas and are essentially off road type of roads, then an adventure touring bike would be more suitable. Not to say it can't be done with an Ultra because it has, but it might not be the best choice most of the time for most riders. I rode up to the top of a mountain using a bad dirt road in Tenn on a Sportster and wished I had been on a dirt bike or ATV or 4WD truck at the time, like the other people there. One of the people at the top said, "You came up here on that?" like I was nuts for doing it. I can't imagine doing that on my Ultra.

Originally Posted by sawbones25
I was 30 when I bought my first Electra-Glide. It was just a Standard though. Couldn't afford a Classic or Ultra at the time.
Mine too. Had saddlebags and a batwing fairing with a stubby windscreen but that's it. The previous owner added a stereo. Added a removable tour pak and a higher practical windscreen. The wife loved the ride so much she won't ride on the back of the Sportster anymore except for very short trips.

Last edited by Long lonesome highwayman; 04-17-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:44 PM
Frogprince
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I purchased my first used Ultra when I was 27, and my new Road Glide when I was 29. I am 6'9" and wanted the large frame and use it for a daily in the summer.

Never to young to get it right. I love it when I go long distance with my buddy on a Dyna. He complains that his wrist is sore or his back is stiff from leaning over for hours.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:56 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
I think it has more to do with your type of riding than age.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:17 PM
Lunchboxx
Road Master

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra Dare
I get it. The average age of the Harley owner when I bought my 07 Ultra was in the neighborhood of 55. I had been home from Iraq about two years and was heading out the next year and I wanted one. I'm 6 foot 4, so I was limited to what I could ride. She doesn't like the Road Glide or I would've gone that way. But, I love my Ultra. It's black pearl and in an attempt to "young it up" I've blacked out all the lights. I have the removable kit for my tour pack. But when I don't have it. I miss it.
I realize at 38 years old I'm pretty young to have a fully loaded bike. Injuries and height, I am limited. Am I alone? What are some reasons for the bike you chose? I have not the luxury to ride any bike on the show room. Anybody else?
I am 41 and I chose my 2015 Ultra for mainly two reason, price and comfort. By comfort mostly I am talking about the passenger aspect, for my wife. It has a bad *** back rest for her and a super comfy seat when compared to my first HD which was an 01 road glide. And the price was perfect. Fit my budget great. The added benefits are the stereo, and nav system. Also I really like the color combo I got. And my first ride was great From Reno Nevada to home Susanville, ca. About 90 miles or so. I love this bike. Probably the last newish bike I will ever get. Although I would like a bobber or something for just cruising around town and riding to work.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:33 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

The OP is now 46 after this 8 year thread bump. Old man!!

Old 04-18-2019, 05:38 PM
whiskeyfire
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I thought the same way. My wife won't ride on my Fatboy. I had to bite the bullet and get the old man bike. I picked up a 2012 Ultra Limited. I love it, best decision my wife ever made for me. I still have the Fatboy and the weather just started getting nice out. I could have rode either bike to work and I took the Ultra... both times so far.

Old 04-18-2019, 05:39 PM
whiskeyfire
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
LOL, nice catch, I missed that.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:40 PM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

I got my first Harley in 2010, it was a 2010 Dyna Street Bob. I was 37...got the 2018 Street Glide last summer after I turned 46. Didn't think I'd get a bagger, now I know I should have gotten one sooner.

Bagger 4 Life!

Old 04-18-2019, 07:43 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,836 Likes on 2,363 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
Assuming he's still alive. He hasn't posted since 2012. Bikers may die, but threads on HDforums never do.