Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Police Roadking mods with pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 09:11 AM
dlongo8241
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Police Roadking mods with pics

I bought a police roadking and wanted to make it my own. I always just brought my bikes to the dealer for any kind of work, but this time in all my years I wanted to do it myself. I am no wrench and I will admit it. For the most part it went smoothly, I had a little problem with the slip-ons and the Softbrake license plate relocation bracket.

I bought new clamps and when I installed the slip-ons. When I torqued the clamps down to the min service manual torque 45 lb's the bolts just snapped. So off they came again and reinstalled my old clamps and with the same torque it went on fine. I am assuming HD had a bad run of clamps but who knows, the dealer will not refund my 14 bucks. It also seems like I'm getting a tiny bit of a leak when cold but seals up when hot, no ticking what so ever so I'm not too worried about it.

With the softbrake bracket, the damn thing would not line up no matter what I did. I ended up buying the 10" shorter turn signal bar and for some reason it went on fine the first time. I am assuming the old bar was stripped from the factory because the threads looked like hell. Also the paint was scratched and chipped to hell under the bracket.

I touched up the paint the best I could, and the bracket and the turnsignal bar covers up the scratched paint for the most part. I guess when you have metal on painted metal your going to take paint off. It would have been nice if HD would have designed some sort of rubber gasket to go in between the turnsignal bar and the painted fender. But I guess that would make to much sense. I was vey carefull even using painters tape with no luck.

Next I removed the rear radio rack and the ultra style chrome struts and installed the black struts. I was very surprised this was very easy with no surprises or chipped paint. Then I installed Nightrider's FL-Xied's which was another easy mod. I also installed the turnsignal brake-run light conversion kit with the supplied red lens, another easy no surpises mod along with a all red taillight lens since the clear part of the upper lens is no longer needed with the plate relocated to the bottom of the fender.

I then installed the new for his year HD dark brown solo seat with gold thread, which I think looks pretty nice on a black bike, though my girl seems to think it doesn't look good but hell I like it. And for a final touch I mounted the HD air temp gauge on the switch housing for I like to see how miserable I will be riding in the winter.

While the bike was apart I took the time to tie strap all the loose wires and put clear grease on the battery terminals, which you would freaking think the dealer would do before delivery.

Now I know for most of you this thread is a joke because of your experience of mods and wrenching but for me this is like a whole new world along with being very nerve racking since this a new bike which I still owe a bank note on with nobody to help me. But I figured I would give it a shot and if I hurt the paint or somthing else it can always be corrected. Enjoy the pic's

Old 09-16-2011, 09:29 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I like the brown seat too! Looks nice. Looks like you did a great job and great pics btw.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 09-16-2011, 10:07 AM
JonW
Road Warrior
Received 348 Likes on 157 Posts

I'm not a great wrencher, either, and sometimes doing something on your own can be intimidating. But it sure gives you a great sense of pride when you're done.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

Hook up the Red/Blue lights, get a loud siren and ride the hell out of it....... For a while that is...lol

Old 09-16-2011, 07:20 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did my plate relocate with the 4 point docking station. Also did the Mustang seat with backrest. Love the FLHTP. Clean slate to do what you want. Pic below is after I did the SE Heavy Breather, V&H Propipe, SE stage 1 recalibration & XiEDs. Bike runs great !!

Attached Thumbnails 2011 Police Roadking mods with pics-rt-side-full-3.jpg  
Old 09-16-2011, 07:28 PM
apxpred
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice job !

Old 09-16-2011, 07:36 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

How do you like that new brown leather seat? I saw it on the HD website and thought it looked cool, but am wondering about the comfort level?.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:04 PM
dlongo8241
Tourer

seat is very comfortable...great quality also...

DL

Old 09-17-2011, 04:52 PM
ftzoid
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow! that soft brake plate re-locator and 10" light bar really cleans up that rear end! Nice job! Where did ya get your 10" bar and are you happy with the quality? That looks so clean I think I'm gonna try this mod. Thanks!

Old 09-17-2011, 05:38 PM
kmayHD
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool, nice lookin RKP. Love mine, small things added here and there and before ya know itll really feel like your own. right on!

Quick Reply: 2011 Police Roadking mods with pics