Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter build - what am I forgetting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 06:11 PM
JefFLH
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Winter build - what am I forgetting?

Picked up an '07 Road Glide and figured I'd make sure I liked it before I started throwing money at it. I love it, so I am going to start to make it mine. Paint can wait till next winter, mechanicals come first. As she sits now, it is totally stock with the exception of XIEDs and V&H slip-ons. Am I leaving anything out?
Here is what I have planned:
S&S 106 BB
Woods 555 cams
New 'B' lifters
New inner cam bearings
hi-flo ac
Power Vision
IDS
Maybe have the heads cleaned up

Old 09-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Add the SE compensator. Oh, probably snow to make it a true winter project.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:49 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,025 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Unless you already have the "B" lifters, good luck getting them. They are now up to "C" lifters which are allegedly less than desirable and apparently suck. As well, I'd be cautious going with a 106 without crank work especially on an 07. I'd go to a 103 and no higher, but that's only my opinion. You doing the work or a dealer?

Old 09-18-2011, 07:49 PM
JefFLH
Road Captain

Drat - Already have the compensator. First thing I did. Bought it in Maine and noticed it first time I started it. They gave it to me for $90 and I installed it.
dawg - There are still some 'B' lifters out there, have to get them quick. From what I've heard the 'C' ones have been less then stellar since they were introduced. I thought long and hard about the crank, considered sending it to Hobans, but I think they are tougher than a lot of people give them credit. I'll give it a good inspection when I tear it down. If the run-out is bad and I end up splitting the cases, I will have they crank done at that time. I'm doing the work, as you know, we have more than enough down time up here.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Woollymonster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty much the way I have my 103 set up and it will get after it. The only thing I don't like about the set up is that it idles rougher. Sounds cool. More of the "potato potato" thing but is is harder to idle it around slow in first gear with the clutch out.

I used to be able to pretty much turn a figure 8 in first gear on a two lane road. Much harder with cams. But the highway performance is well worth that sacrifice. It will hit triple digits before you get out of third. Quickly.

I rode it fairly aggressively the first couple of trips after the mods. Did not even bother to check the MPG. I knew it would be bad. But today I was solo and road pretty conservatively. Gave me a little over 43 MPG. That is better than I got stock. Enjoy that RG.

Rinehart True Duals
A. Ness Big Sucker
S&S 510 cams
Torrington Barings
Delphi Dyno tune

Old 09-19-2011, 01:27 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Gearing. The 07-08 bikes have too-tall gearing (2.79). At the least, you should consider changing the wheel pulley to the 68t sportster pulley. That gives you the same 2.87 final drive as the 09 and newer bikes. You can get the sportster wheel pulleys with IDS (Japan spec bikes) or non-IDS versions. I bolted a non IDS pulley on my bike and did not need a belt change.

You could also consider the 30t tri-glide trans pulley, either by itself with the stock 66t wheel pulley for a 2.98 final drive, or in conjunction with the 68t wheel pulley for a final drive of 3.07.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:52 AM
caaraa
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dawg - There are still some 'B' lifters out there, have to get them quick.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:20 PM
JefFLH
Road Captain

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
Gearing. The 07-08 bikes have too-tall gearing (2.79). At the least, you should consider changing the wheel pulley to the 68t sportster pulley. That gives you the same 2.87 final drive as the 09 and newer bikes. You can get the sportster wheel pulleys with IDS (Japan spec bikes) or non-IDS versions. I bolted a non IDS pulley on my bike and did not need a belt change.

You could also consider the 30t tri-glide trans pulley, either by itself with the stock 66t wheel pulley for a 2.98 final drive, or in conjunction with the 68t wheel pulley for a final drive of 3.07.
I have kept up with the conversations on this and is something I plan on doing in the future. The way I see it, I will have the IDS, then it's just a pulley change when I can get to it. I have to watch my pennies, between paying out of pocket 100% for cancer/open heart surgery (another story) and my shop cutting hours from 50 to 32 for now, I have to be careful. I am planning on doing this with side job money and what I have stashed in the cookie jar. Using plastic, to me anyway, is for emergencies until at least MY economy picks up a little. Also have to stock up on wood and get the fuel tankers to start delivering, winter is coming up here in the woods!
Jeff

Old 09-19-2011, 01:40 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JefFLH
I have kept up with the conversations on this and is something I plan on doing in the future. The way I see it, I will have the IDS, then it's just a pulley change when I can get to it. I have to watch my pennies, between paying out of pocket 100% for cancer/open heart surgery (another story) and my shop cutting hours from 50 to 32 for now, I have to be careful. I am planning on doing this with side job money and what I have stashed in the cookie jar. Using plastic, to me anyway, is for emergencies until at least MY economy picks up a little. Also have to stock up on wood and get the fuel tankers to start delivering, winter is coming up here in the woods!
Jeff

I shouldn't be telling you how to spend your pennies ..... but with the above.... I would be putting very little in the bike at this point. What you put into it translates to a "non-investment" ...... as in, if you have to sell the bike, your improvements won't mean squat to a buyer.

You can always do your improvements later on when your economy gets better.

But it's your money...... if you feel like throwing it around...... send it to me

Oh yeah.... I consider a Road Glide to be a mile eating lounge chair. I put my money into creature comforts and reliability, rather than go fast, and watch the gas gauge go down. But that's me...... I ride while my friends with heavy engine mods work on theirs.

Last edited by shooter5074; 09-19-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:26 PM
JefFLH
Road Captain

Thanks for your concern Shooter, but the picture isn't as bleak as my post would have it. I am just cheap and hate parting with my hard earned money every winter to keep warm. After raising 7 kids, it's just the wife and I now and we have MUCH more disposable income now than I've ever had in my adult life. I just don't use credit cards unless it's an emergency.

Last edited by JefFLH; 09-20-2011 at 07:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Winter build - what am I forgetting?