Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Isn't a used 2009 Harley with 96" engine just about the best bargain out there?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 02:46 AM
PauleyB
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could get both with an '09 Road King Police. You would get the 103 plus some other cool stuff that you don't get stock. That said, the police bikes are kind of plain looking and you will probably spend some money on cosmetics. I have not done that yet with mine as I have been too busy riding it this summer. Winter projects are lined up though. It'll be like having a new bike next springtime.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Kwayz
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"I'm just thinking that while all of these lightly used 2009-2011 touring bikes have a pretty decent engine already, I don't think that I'd get hung up on having this slightly less powerful engine if it meant that I was getting a smoking hot deal in the end."

I had the same thoughts when I got my 2009 Ultra earlier this year. I had a 2007 Ultra that I had sold about 2 months before the 2012 models were supposed to arrive at the dealerships. My thinking was that if I sold the 2007 before the 2012's came out, I'd get more for it. It was the hottest part of summer and I wasn't enjoying the sweltering hot and humid Georgia weather, so I was riding very little anyway. The plan was to sell at the best time, then keep the money (left over after paying off the loan) as a down payment on a new 2012 about two months later (just when the weather should have been cooling down to my favorite riding temps). I wanted the newer frame, I wanted ABS and I wanted the new bike warranty, and those were my three major objectives at the time.

Ah, but the best laid plans...two WEEKS later, I walk into the show room, and there sat a 2009 Ultra with ABS, loaded. It had things on it that I hadn't even thought of putting on, myself. Vance & Hines Power Duals, Monster Ovals...race tuner...chrome everywhere...heated grips...braded lines and cables...and I got a 5 year HD extended service plan (instead of a 2 year warranty), all for a LOT less than the 2012 was going to cost (and no, I wasn't planning on getting an ESP for the 2012, just didn't feel like I could afford that much extra). And I didn't have to break it in, I could just ride!

I'm very happy with the bike and the deal I got, and I have that little extra peice of mind knowing that I've got the extended service plan for 5 years.

I think it is very good to buy a brand new bike at least once (did that back in 2003), and I don't fault anyone who wants to do that with every bike. But I've been very happy (and very lucky) buying (relatively) low mileage bikes that are a couple of years old. I've enjoyed them very much and think I've saved a lot of money over what a new bike would have cost.

Last edited by Kwayz; 09-26-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:30 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 184 Posts

Depends on exactly the bike you are looking at and what you want to do with it. If you find an '06 with low miles you might save another $5k.
If you just want to run around town or take weekend rides through the park you could find a bike that fits your needs for thousands less than that.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:43 AM
DeiGratia
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Decided on a pre-owned 2009 RK two months ago. She's been really sweet to me.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:57 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

You are right, I agree.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:37 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,520 Likes on 2,490 Posts

I would not buy any tourer newer than an '07, and the reason is the TBW. I have ridden many TBW bikes at demo rides, and A-B'd them with bikes with cables. I absolutely DO NOT like the TBW. There is a noticeable lag, and the throttle feels "disconnected" from the motor. Very new "automotive" feel to the throttle that I just could not get used to. Also wound up stalling alot during dead stop "clutchaway" because of the lag & disconnected feel.. I wanted a bike with the 96" motor & 6 speed tranny, but did not want the TBW, so '07 was the only option. This is my 2nd bike with the 96" & 6 speed, and the motor is bone stock, no stage 1 or race tune (yet) and I feel it is quicker than the 103", and so was my '08 Superglide custom, when I A-Bd them at the demo rides. I think the Cat, and especially the TBW makes for a more sluggish feeling motor. Waiting for my pipes to come in, then I can wake up the motor with a race tune.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
I would not buy any tourer newer than an '07, and the reason is the TBW.
You say nothing newer than '07 because of TBW.
So, I guess your cars are not newer than 1995 because of some have TBW too??
But if you were to check, only the Touring have the TBW.
Both Softail and the Dyna Glides are still cable throttles with 96" and 6 speed.
Yes, even the Dyna Switchback that has bags and windshield.
Maybe you stalled because you didn't use the TBW properly??

Things change and newer innovations are used. Just because you don't like it does not mean that it is bad, just different.
The TBW has eliminated several places to go wrong too. Less parts for the Cruise Control for just one.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:56 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Dickey, is that you in Ultra89Rider's avatar??????????

Old 09-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Hecklerboy
Road Warrior
Received 883 Likes on 384 Posts

I just picked up a brand new 2011 Street Glide with the 96" engine. Got a good deal on it since it was a 96".
I really don't care it it's 7 cubic inches smaller.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:58 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
I would not buy any tourer newer than an '07, and the reason is the TBW.........I absolutely DO NOT like the TBW.
Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider
You say nothing newer than '07 because of TBW.
So, I guess your cars are not newer than 1995 because of some have TBW too?? Maybe you stalled because you didn't use the TBW properly?? Things change and newer innovations are used. Just because you don't like it does not mean that it is bad, just different.
Ultra89rider. I don't see where dickey said any of those things. He said he doesn't like TBW and unless I missed a major news event he's still entitled to his opinion in this country. Am I missing something here????

Quick Reply: Isn't a used 2009 Harley with 96" engine just about the best bargain out there?