Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Isn't a used 2009 Harley with 96" engine just about the best bargain out there?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 11:28 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider
No. Just because your's came with the 103ci didn't mean it was "Standard Equipment", just ordered with the option.
It was not standard until the 2012 model year.

The 103ci was an option on almost all of the 2011 models, not standard. But most dealers ordered those with the option with the 103ci from the factory. As a matter of fact, the Ultra didn't even have the option for the 103ci motor. It came with the 96ci only. But the Limited had the 103ci standard. So most bought the Limited with a 103ci instead of the Ultra Glide model with only the 96ci motor.
NO YOU ARE WRONG AGAIN, GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT before ya bash someone who knows

Old 01-14-2013, 11:32 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

bottom line get what ya can afford, people with a 96 will claim it is close or just as good as the 103...... till they get a 103

Old 01-14-2013, 11:34 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
I agree, but I should have been more clear. What I meant to say was I can't think of a good reason to convince my wife of me getting a new bike. LOL

Beary
Get her something sparkly and all will be good. Works for me.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:52 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my previously enjoyed 2008 FLHRC a cpl years ago low miles already with about $6,000 in extra bling , 2 years exstended service and performance extras .
For a lot less $$$ than new .

I am puzzeled buy those riders that say at highway speed 70 they can't excelirate fast ? huh ummm just shift to 5th blip the throttle and you take off like a rocket then shift back to 6th doh .

Any way the stage one 08 96 has lots of power for a touring bike and i bet the 09 is just as good . plenty of super deals$$$ on both those years out there.

Last edited by baust55; 01-14-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:02 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
Get her something sparkly and all will be good. Works for me.
Hmmmm, metal flake!

Beary

Old 01-14-2013, 02:20 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
"You do realize that the 103 is a 96 bored out right? Which means thinner cylinder walls=more heat. Same cams and 6 speed transmission. Slightly more HP & torque but go stage 1 on a 96 and your about the same. Of course every year new will have enhancement but that's how the world turns. Now if they decide to put 120's in all the touring bikes, that's a different story.
'09 SG, Black Pearl, Cruise, Security, ABS, MGS Duals/Pipes, Fuel Moto A/F, Rev. Performance EMS, SE255 Cams, VThunder Lifters, Zippers Dual Piston Tensioners, Baisley Oil Spring, HD CC Anarchy Wheels, Satellite Radio, LED Lighting, HD Pull Back Bars, JRI Shocks, Race Tech Springs w/ modded Intiminators, Chrome Front End, King Tour Pak, Headwinds Headlight Bezel, Biketronics Amp & Speakers, Jagg 10 Row Oil Cooler, K & P Oil Filter, True-Track Stabilizer, and the sickness continues..."

Interesting how your bike includes a tremendous list of expensive options in a post claiming a used 09 is a great financial deal : ?)

And yes, a stage one 96" with cams runs just as strong, or stronger than a Stock 103. (Stage 1 103 with cams will run away from both of them)
I have my bike built for reliability, low end torque and a comfortable ride. I sowed my wild oats for speed on a V-Rod prior to the SG. I personally see no reason to go 90mph+ on a 900+ lb touring motorcycle so why worry about displacement. But that's why they make vanilla & chocolate ice cream, to each their own.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Not really rocket science here.

When Harley offered the 103 upgrade with automatic compression releases and factory oil cooler, lots of people payed over $1000 for the upgrade.

If you had your choice of 96 or 103 at the same price, which would you take.

All around, mod for mod, the 103 is the better engine. (Better still when you take out the cat)

Old 01-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 96inchBOB
A monkey can turn a 96 into a 103 for a little over 500.00 and neither one will have enough power to wright home about. These thing are way under powered in any forum. They are cruisers not race bikes. I hate hearing people talk about how mean their harleys are. They must have never road a fast motor cycle before like a ZX1400 with 190 rwhp from factory now that is power. I would not own one because i like my 08 Road Glide with 6gal tank Brembo brakes drive by wire just small frame and tire but who need a stiff frame and a bigger tie to make like mid to upper 70's in horse power. Shoot you can almost make twice that much with a 600cc sport bike. Like i say i will ride my outdated turd and love it and ride it like it was made to ride Slow and purdy
But can you sit at that speed for 12 hour? I can ride at 70 to 80 MPH for days on end. I enjoy my ride for reliability, not top speed. Harley made a new frame because they found that the original "Rubber Mount" frame could not withstand the additional torque and HP that the Twin Cam motor was able to produce.
Yes I know that they also were looking to reduce the cost of manufacture too.
Originally Posted by beary
I'm wondering is the 09s are in demand, a dealer said he would give me a $15000 trade-in for my 09 SG sight unseen. They have 2.5 percent finance going on right now and that is pretty tempting. I just can't think of a good reason for getting a new bike. Color?

Beary
Yes, it seems to be. I figure that it is in "High Demand" because it is the First year of the new frame. It is also last year without the Catalytic Converter (Federal Law requires the dealer to sell it with the Federally installed emission equipment replaced).

And for those that point out how wrong I am about the Ci motor. I did not go back to find and list every model that had the Ci motor standard. I just said that it was an option for most models. It was standard on all Police models and on the higher cost models (CVO and Limited). The Road Glide Ultra was not offered until the 2011 model year and it was standard but not offered at all for the 2011 Ultra Glide model. (I am not an expert. Just what I remember when I was shopping for a new Harley.)

Besides it does not matter what was standard or could be ordered back then. It is only what is available now.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:06 PM
roadrunner10
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 2010 RG with a 96" and saved a nice chunk of change. It pulls me and my sweety down the road and up the hills no problem. As I put more and more miles on it and start getting bored with it, I can always bore it out to 103, (or 107) and freshen up the top end and pick up some easy HP. Gives me something to do over the winter. That said..... The 96" isn't boring yet!

Old 01-15-2013, 07:31 AM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
The 2009 has no cat in the header and the new frame. I think it is a good choice. Can one get ABS on a 2009 model as this is a significant upgrade.
+1; No Cat means $$$$$ stays in your pocket and you put a stage 1 upgrade on without any fuel management system. I put the XIEDs on for a hundred bucks and my 09 ultra runs terrific w/o a fuel mgt system, or removing headers. Low $$$s upgrades to wake it up. If shopping for the best bang for the buck in used, then an 09 is an excellent choice not to say there aren't good pre and post 09s good deals too.

Quick Reply: Isn't a used 2009 Harley with 96" engine just about the best bargain out there?