Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Larger gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 05:00 PM
01Byte
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Larger gas tank

Is it possible to increase the size of the gas tank (i.e. capacity) on a 2011 Ultra Classic? I searched HD's site but didn't find anything.

Just wondering....

Old 10-07-2011, 05:08 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

you could search for a custom tank, the stock tank is 6 gal. giving a fuel range of about 250 miles for most of us-- over 300 miles if you stay at 55 mph.

auxilary "gas can" type things are available incl the $30 unit that fits in a saddlebag. or some guys strap them on the tourpak

I've shied away from those because of the fear of a wreck.

mike

Old 10-07-2011, 09:06 PM
hopperop
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a few, like the one at motorcycle metal, I think that one is 7 gal. but it will cost you around $2k.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:07 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

It's not the gas in my ride that dictates when I stop.

My whiz alert is set for 200 miles.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wlbowers
It's not the gas in my ride that dictates when I stop.

My whiz alert is set for 200 miles.
Ha. Nice.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:20 AM
composed
Advanced

I used a 5 gallon Tour Tank on my last bike (carbureted). It looked like I was hauling around a keg, but it did the trick. I'm unsure whether or not I can easily plumb it into the fuel system on my current bike. Once I determine that I can, the it will be on my Electra Glide. Since it is about the same thicknes as the OEM tank and equally exposed, I figure that in a wreck, gasoline would be my least concern. If interested, you can google "Tour Tanks" to see what they look like.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:29 AM
markimus
Intermediate

This is great info. If I could increase range to 300 miles that would amazing!

Old 01-01-2012, 10:57 PM
composed
Advanced
Question

Originally Posted by composed
I used a 5 gallon Tour Tank on my last bike (carbureted). It looked like I was hauling around a keg, but it did the trick. I'm unsure whether or not I can easily plumb it into the fuel system on my current bike. Once I determine that I can, the it will be on my Electra Glide. Since it is about the same thicknes as the OEM tank and equally exposed, I figure that in a wreck, gasoline would be my least concern. If interested, you can google "Tour Tanks" to see what they look like.
I recently visited with people in a local Harley shop and was told that there would not be a problem connecting and using the Tour Tank on my Electra Glide, aka it will not void my warranty. I'm curious about mounting the Tour Tank on the top of the luggage rack on the top of the Tour Pack versus removing the Tour Pack and placing the Tour Tank where the Tour Pack was. I'm sure that the Tour Tank will work fine at either height but I am not sure if the luggage rack on top of the Tour Pack is strong enough to hold the weight. Any thoughts?

Old 01-01-2012, 11:34 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
you could search for a custom tank, the stock tank is 6 gal. giving a fuel range of about 250 miles for most of us-- over 300 miles if you stay at 55 mph.

auxiliary "gas can" type things are available incl the $30 unit that fits in a saddlebag. or some guys strap them on the tourpak

I've shied away from those because of the fear of a wreck.

mike
I have used the "Reda" gas can while traveling cross country. I even needed it once. (I miscalculated the mileage across new Mexico)
I have never had any problems and there was never any Gas Smell in the saddlebag nor on my clothes.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

I investigated larger tanks a couple of years ago. There are several custom options available with around 7 gallons, from Motorcycle Metal, RWD, FatKatz, but they are all expensive. There is another possible option worth looking into, from viigastanks, who widen stock 5 gallon tanks and may be able to do the same for later stock tanks.

Quick Reply: Larger gas tank