Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather tool roll up pouch ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 11:00 PM
Mrs.Itch
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
I don't know ... hmmm ... asking a brother how long his tool is .... I'm just sayin'
We made it 12 inches. You think it'll fit?...D

Originally Posted by mike5380
Hey Isabel

I like the zipper pouch ... please, no velcro!

Are you thinking about dying the leather, black, brown, or leave it natural? Just thinking about sun faded leather if you want to hang the bag on the front forks. Is there a UV resistant - anti fadingtreatment you could put on the leather? And what about waterproofing?

Also, please think about making room for the high dollar air pump for the touring suspension (HD Part#54630-03A). I have been carrying mine around in the original box for over a year and it's about to fall apart.

I think you've got a good idea and if you had a few different styles and sizes, you should sell a bunch of them.

Mike
I've never gotten so many questions in just one paragraph...

Well, we will only make them out of black ca. 6-7 oz chap leather. If we would start getting into natural leather and start dying it, we would have to charge so much more because of the time factor, and since we are just a small company, we really have to think about if we can do it. The time it takes to dye and finish one piece, I can probably sew 2 crotch coolers, or 4 face wraps. We really have to calculate and see if it makes sense for us to offer it on our website.

So long story short...black it is.

Originally Posted by aktid35
I would do it like a chef knife roll I used to use when I was still in the kitchen on a daily basis. long top flap total dimension 18" tall" 24" long: with the flap able to fold over about 8" snaps for the top flap, on the inner of the pouch. buckles to hold the roll in place. and a handle for carrying.
Uhhh, I like this idea. Have to think about it.

Thanks guys again. We really appreciate all your input.

Isabel

Old 10-18-2011, 11:19 PM
mrnone
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Cool insert Tools here

lots of tools empty bags
never have to dump all my crap on the ground to get to a wrench.
chick has her own bike no need for footboard. box worx great for footboard in a pinch

Attached Thumbnails Leather tool roll up pouch  ?-img_0195.jpg   Leather tool roll up pouch  ?-img_0196.jpg   Leather tool roll up pouch  ?-img_0197.jpg  
Old 10-19-2011, 12:01 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the idea Captain. The second version I like best at this point, though no reason you can't offer 2 or 3 different models depending on your needs and/or for various tools nothing says you can't have two tool wraps in your bag.

Don't forget to make one of the slots big/fat enough to accept that 8 in 1 screwdriver that holds the various bits.

Count me in, I'll buy one!

Old 10-19-2011, 12:57 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Captain & Isabel - this is the toolkit I have. It has come in very handy more often than I ever thought. On our last group ride, two others borrowed my tools to fix their bikes. I'm not promoting the WindZone product, just providing examples of the size, shape and compartments/tools included in the kit. I jettisoned the cover/bag so I could tri-fold the tool kit so it lays flatter in my saddlebag. I think you are on to something with the leather roll-up tool pouch idea. I look forward to seeing your final product.

Also like the idea of a separate pouch for the H-D suspension pump.

Attached Thumbnails Leather tool roll up pouch  ?-windzone.jpg  
Old 10-19-2011, 01:23 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Captain Itch ... You are on to something! Your roll up tool bag reminds me of the old GI roll up tool bag my Dad gave me many years ago. I've used the bag on several different bikes and now the thing is showing its age lol

Now the same set up in leather ? I'm sold on the idea !! Your design looks like it would last many years... snap closures or just a simple tie works for me.

I plan on buying the roll up pouch as soon as you bring it to market!

Old 10-19-2011, 02:05 PM
Mighty Nation
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadHog659
Captain & Isabel - this is the toolkit I have. It has come in very handy more often than I ever thought. On our last group ride, two others borrowed my tools to fix their bikes. I'm not promoting the WindZone product, just providing examples of the size, shape and compartments/tools included in the kit. I jettisoned the cover/bag so I could tri-fold the tool kit so it lays flatter in my saddlebag. I think you are on to something with the leather roll-up tool pouch idea. I look forward to seeing your final product.

Also like the idea of a separate pouch for the H-D suspension pump.
My eyes aren't so good anymore, but that has two rows right? Instead of having one wrench take up 2" all the way from bottom to top, it is better to fit 2 or 3 wrenches into the same area, one on top, one on bottom, or overlaying each other.

However this turns out, it needs to hold a lot of tools. The more tools it holds the better. Are you trying to come up with something pretty much like the stock tool holder but made of leather, or are you trying to improve on the functionality of it? I like leather but I don't think I would buy something that only held a dozen small tools. If being made of leather is the only improvement, I don’t think I would do it. I would rather just keep what came with the bike or get a small tool bag from Home Depot that fits in my side bag and fill it with a bunch of lose laying tools. The only way I would buy something like this is if it held a lot of tools and kept them organized and kept them from rattling. That would be a big improvement over the stock holder and worth buying.

I hope you can come up with something that works and is worth it to you to make them. You make some other pretty fine chit.

ADDED: The zipper pocket is a good idea, if you had 2 or 3 of them you could put sockets in one and allen wrenches in another. Not everything needs to be individually pocketed, some things can be grouped together. An all inclusive tool bag that holds wrenches, screw drivers, sockets etc made of leather would be worth buying. Maybe a bag design with slots and pockets would be more functional than a roll up design. I don't know, just thinking out loud.

Last edited by Mighty Nation; 10-19-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Mrs.Itch
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had to go and get leather, so we haven't been working in the leather shop today. But we thought the same y'all point out, that it would be the right thing to offer 2-3 different sizes or variations to accommodate the different needs.

I like the idea of having slots for tools on the bottom AND top flap to hold more tools. A second zipper compartment might make the hole thing too thick. I don't know. We'll play around with it tomorrow.

I believe that we can introduce 2 sizes as soon as the end of this week. About a price range...can't say anything yet, because I have to see how much leather it needs. But it will be very sturdy thick chap leather, that will last you for a loooong time. That I can promise.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

Isabel

Old 10-19-2011, 08:38 PM
shadowchaser
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with S1dewinder. It's a pain in most tool pouches to figure what tool goes where and end up with a lopsided mess and the pouch not closing right. Maybe include a sheet of paper when you ship the pouch with a list and/or a diagram of the tool layout you had in mind when you designed it. I like the idea of a zippered pocket, and snaps to hold flap closed.(would help keep stuff in its place)

Old 10-19-2011, 09:17 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Captain, count me in when they're ready. I have a Windzone kit like the OP with Craftsman tools where I had a few duplicates. I like that layout but the nylon and plastic is a pain to use. A nicely made sturdy leather roll would be great.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:33 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mighty Nation
My eyes aren't so good anymore, but that has two rows right? Instead of having one wrench take up 2" all the way from bottom to top, it is better to fit 2 or 3 wrenches into the same area, one on top, one on bottom, or overlaying each other.
Yes, two rows. Two wrenches stacked is about the limit to keep it flexible enough to roll up - at least with this set-up. Don't know about leather. A zippered section for allen wrenches would be a nice feature.

Last edited by RoadHog659; 10-19-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Leather tool roll up pouch ?