Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Satellite antenna ideas

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 09:13 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Satellite antenna ideas

Do you use a satellite radio on your scoot? XM or Sirius... doesn't matter - I'm interested in what you did to get the best reception when it comes to the antenna.

Chose Sirius because that's what I have in my truck, I like it and then I get a break on a second subscription.

I bought a Stratus 6 radio and an extra cradle so this unit can be moved between the bike and the living room. Mounted the cradle on the bike using an Iron Aces mount, located on top of the speedo/tach housing on my Road Glide.

Started using the hockey puck antenna that came with the radio, mounted on top of the inner fairing inside the windshield. Reception was good, but didn't like it and the wire being so visible.

Picked up a cone shaped antenna and mounted it inside the fairing. Reception was terrible. Constantly 'acquiring signal' to the point that the radio was unusable.

Back to a hockey puck, this time located just behind the radio. It still loses signal more than I care for.

Saw another post where someone was using an antenna splitter for FM. Was thinking of trying that with a couple of antennas inside the fairing.

So... how did you address this?

Old 10-30-2011, 09:30 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

I'm using this antenna. Had it mounted inside the fairing but the reception was spotty. Lots of cutting out. So I just put it on top of my Hogtunes Tweeter Pod, mounted it right on top center using 3-M tape. Reception much better. I wanted the cable to run through my fairing and back to my cradle which is mounted on the right handlebar so I had to drill about a 1/2" hole in the fairing, under the Tweeter Pod but it is hidden with the Pod in place and I don't plan on ever removing the Pod so it is OK with me. For some reason I still experience a signal loss now and then but it is pretty rare and only lasts a couple of seconds.

http://www.amazon.com/Terk-XMICRO2-S...N%3DB0009J6PYW

Old 10-30-2011, 09:36 AM
harleycat225
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's where I mounted mine. Seems to work pretty good. I have only dropped signal a couple of times all summer long.............

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2...6/100_1804.jpg

Old 10-30-2011, 09:40 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I am using the XM module for the stock radio. I have the puck antenna mounted under the fairing using the bracket that comes with the set up which is pretty much right at the highest point inside the fairing. The only time I have lost signal is when something has completely blocked the line of sight to the south (sometimes passing semi trailers and under large bridges) other than that, I have to say I get good signal all the time.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:42 AM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Pargenz,

I have XM using the HD XM built-in module...I'm also using small, approx oval, hockey puck stuck to the left-side, inner fairing, just above the speaker...

I get fair reception from this setup, nothing to write home about...

I believe Sat radio antennas need a large section of metal underneath them to bounce and reflect the signals back to the antenna to get the most effective Sat reception...so these MC Sat radio antennas are just not that suitable for use on a MC...not 2 sure how to get around this until someone makes a better, more sensitive antenna maybe with an amplifier integrated into it....

The other problem is when riding and the signal is coming from behind you, it has to go thru your body to get to the antenna...the signal gets blocked and the radio drops out...just another downfall of sat radio on motorcycles...

Old 10-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Winterhawk
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a similar setup on the 2011 that moves it closer to the seat back.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:07 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Some have gone to this antenna with better results.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:04 AM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertk
I tried it...doesn't work any better or maybe a little worse...its gathering dust...

Old 10-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Krow
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my antenna on top of my radio under the fairing. It has the largest metal reflective surface I could find. I rarely loose signal but have noted that most times my signal drops, if I press on the antenna wire connection on my Sirius bracket, it improves considerably so I'll have to look at ways to ensure that plug is good and snug.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:18 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertk
That's the cone-shaped one I referred to in my original post. Much worse reception with that than the hockey puck.

Quick Reply: Satellite antenna ideas