Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road king Seating question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 05:18 PM
DarkMatter
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Road king Seating question

So if you some of you read my first post a week ago you know Im new here, Ive looked thru the forums but haven't found the answer Im looking for.

Im 35 an just bought my first road king Im 5'9 and wear 30' length jeans. When I sit on the bike in loose pants I can just be flat footed on the floor but in my reg jeans which are a little tighter I can barely reach, Im sure its the inseam of the jeans etc..

The RKC is a 2005 - what aftermarket seat can I buy to get a few more inches to always get my feet flat footed on the bike?

From looking thru posts I think the answer is a mustang solo but b4 I spend 3-600 on a solo an pillon Id like to hear from you guys who have a similar problem.

Semper Fi'

Old 12-16-2011, 06:35 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Send your seat off to Mean City Cycles. For $45 plus shipping to/from NC, they'll lower your position and scoot you back if you need. A little more $$ and they'll do all kinds of things for ya. I just sent up and appointment for my Sundowner Solo seat to go in.

Great reviews here on the Forum.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:41 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

If I were you, I'd got to bike nights or where ever the bikes are, and look for something that seems close- then ASK the owner if he likes it--- and wait for him/her to offer you the chance to sit on it.

cut down seats tend to be harder on the rear, so that is a consideration

just about any seat from 97 to 2007 touring series bike will fit he road king, so you have lots of options.

I heartily suggest that you stay away from corbin seats, they can be very hard--- even harder is the customer service- I got stung once.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-16-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:29 PM
DarkMatter
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you add the lower back support on a sundowner and mustang solo?

I think I read the mustang will give you an 1 1/2 but im not sure if its a solo or dual...Id prefer a solo and pillon personally.

Anyone?

Old 12-16-2011, 08:52 PM
oasis03
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same inseam as you and the sundowner seat from Harley is just right and my passenger loves the extra width . We have ridden many comfortable miles.with it.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Ben E
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm the same inseam and went with a mustang vintage. Ride in chippewa boots and the heal is enough for flat footing.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:38 PM
knewt5
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkMatter
Can you add the lower back support on a sundowner and mustang solo?

I think I read the mustang will give you an 1 1/2 but im not sure if its a solo or dual...Id prefer a solo and pillon personally.

Anyone?
I feel your pain...the seat fitting is a pain in the *** (no pun intended)

I ride a Street Glide so it's the same issue. I also have a 30" inseam. I had a C&C Seat and it was nice and low but it was murder on my butt.

I recently bought a mustang solo and it's much better in terms of comfort than the C&C and my reach is fine. I also wear Carolina Logger boots. They have a big old heel.

Mustang makes a solo (in my sig) that has a removable backrest as well as a pillion

Old 12-16-2011, 10:37 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a 28" inseam when i got my 2008 FLHRC with stock seat i could not flat foot it.
i checked into lowering bike . ended up sending my seat to MeanCity . they narrowed the nose and lowered the seat and i paid extra for some memory foam for comfort . i got my stock seat back looking great very comfortable nose a cple inchs narrower the seat about 2" lower .total including shipping both ways less than $150.
way cheaper than a new seat .
that helped alot.

this spring i am switching from the stock 13" air shocks to 12" street glide shocks.

Last edited by baust55; 12-17-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:42 PM
pacemakertom
Road Master
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a corbin close solo for sale.
100.00 shipped.
Nice shape email me for some pictures.
Tom

Old 12-17-2011, 03:17 AM
SoCal04FLHR
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same exact problem as you. I ride 2 up 75% of the time so I tried the Mustang Wide Tour low seat. It dropped the seat height down about a inch or a tiny bit more. But it actually pushed me forward at the same time and it really sucked so I returned it and went with the non low version. The regular Mustang wide tour seat is much more comfy than stock and a bit more narrow close to the tank which helped relieve some of having your knees pushed outwards but didn't really help with the feet planted problem. I ended up a little frustrated by having to experiment so much and ended up having the bike lowered 1" using lowered springs in the frt and lowered shocks in the rear both made by Progressive. Well I never liked the rear air shocks anyways and my handling and ride also improved. But most importantly it actually felt like it dropped the bike a little more than a inch which is ok by me. But all I know now is that my foot plant is now acceptable and I no longer fear pushing the bike on slight grades when parking not to mention loose gravel etc where not having more foot contact was actually dangerous. I am just happy I finally solved this prob because it really bothered me.

Quick Reply: Road king Seating question