Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder coat / B

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 06:50 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by convergecult
Really? I thought power coat was baked on at 400 degrees. This would melt the **** out any plastic etc... I have had a TON of stuff powdered over the years and have never heard of this. Any other info to share on this?
Most plastic has a small stamp (symbol) on it, you can look up the symbol and it will tell you what material it is and how hot it can be heated. Most powder cures at 400 degrees F in 10 mins, but there are some lower cure powders out there. You can also do a slower cure. I.E. 380 for 15 mins, or 350 for 20 mins or whatever. There is a guy on a powder coating forum I belong to that coats inner fairing and they are kick *** loking. If he gives me permission I will post some of his pictures here. I havn't coated anything large yet, I am in the process of building a larger oven, 4' x 4' x 6' tall. Then I will get into it more.

Plastic also needs to be outgassed. When you heat plastic up it expells a gas, if the part is coated then heated up the gas will come out of the part and leave bumps and holes in the finish. So we heat the part up to cure temp and leave it in the oven untill the part stops smoking. This is called outgassing. Once that's done the finish will turn out fine.

Here's a clay pot that was coated with penny vein powder.

Attached Thumbnails Powder coat / B-clay-pot.jpg   Powder coat / B-pot-2.jpg  
Old 12-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Rock Chalk
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thenewrage
forks arent that bad. Lots of threads on it. Pm me if you have any questions. I have a couple threads on it. Also as far as the rear turn signal question you have. I think you should be able to get at that by dropping the rear wheel. I cant remember for sure but dropping the rear wheel should give you that access you need. Either way if you pull the fender completely out, youll have to pull the rear wheel.

Thanks for the information everyone. I'll PM you to get some info on the slider removal.

Anyone on the turn signal disassembly? Do I cut that seal out or how does it come apart? -EDIT - never mind...just found a thread on it that should help...we'll see what happens tonight
Steve

Last edited by Rock Chalk; 12-19-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:56 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
Most plastic has a small stamp (symbol) on it, you can look up the symbol and it will tell you what material it is and how hot it can be heated. Most powder cures at 400 degrees F in 10 mins, but there are some lower cure powders out there. You can also do a slower cure. I.E. 380 for 15 mins, or 350 for 20 mins or whatever. There is a guy on a powder coating forum I belong to that coats inner fairing and they are kick *** loking. If he gives me permission I will post some of his pictures here. I havn't coated anything large yet, I am in the process of building a larger oven, 4' x 4' x 6' tall. Then I will get into it more.

Plastic also needs to be outgassed. When you heat plastic up it expells a gas, if the part is coated then heated up the gas will come out of the part and leave bumps and holes in the finish. So we heat the part up to cure temp and leave it in the oven untill the part stops smoking. This is called outgassing. Once that's done the finish will turn out fine.

Here's a clay pot that was coated with penny vein powder.
Man that's cool

Old 12-19-2011, 02:57 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mreed
Man that's cool

Yes it is. Just because they say it can't be done, doesn't mean it can't. It just means they havn't figured out a way to do it yet. I personally like a challenge, and like to prove others wrong lol. You can do just about anything with powder that you can with paint. 2-tone, flames, lettering, even ghosting. Here's some ghost lettering in a swingarm for a sport bike. (all powder coat) You just have to think outside the box a little. And be willing to experiment. I have ton's of ideas of stuff to do on my bikes, just have to find the time.

Attached Thumbnails Powder coat / B-ghosting.jpg  
Old 12-20-2011, 12:55 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

basicly anything that will take the heat is fine... i coat everythign on my scoots... as you can see.. bolts, washers, nuts... you name it. all comes down to the masking and prep work. if you have any questions i am more than happy to help you out. we are also the site sponer for powder be more than happy to toss a discount your way and help you out and do your coating. let me know if you have any questions at all...
problem with plastic is you have to figure out if the material can take the heat... hahaha sometimes you learn the hard way!
i have even air brushed powder using a powder to liquid convter, then baked and cleared it...

as far as out of the box... we coated a skull!

also here is a plastic manifold cover we did

Old 12-20-2011, 01:39 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

right on Joe, i've followed your work here and you truely are amazing at it. From someone like me that is just a hobbyist, you are truely one to look up to. from the work of yours I have seen, I would recommend your work to anyone.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:12 PM
JRK5892
Banned

ahh man do not cut yourself short by any means your work is spot on man! love the hydro coating!!!! such a cool process... i will say... NEVER coat a skull!!!!!!! was horrible... horrible! smelled in the shop for weeks!

Old 12-20-2011, 04:12 PM
JRK5892
Banned

mreed... LOVe the pic man!

Old 12-20-2011, 04:26 PM
KJSCKHWC
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to remove the rear turn signals you will have to loosen up the rear fender. No way in hell you will get your hand way up in there. Its a bitch! Just take off back and loosen the fender, it will lift up a bit to get your hand up in there. Even after doing that it was still a PITA. Never again.

I have an extra rear turn signal assembly if you want to buy it and test out the powdercoating. Im not done with it yet as I am waiting to splice wires off of it for new light set up

Old 12-20-2011, 04:31 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JRK5892
ahh man do not cut yourself short by any means your work is spot on man! love the hydro coating!!!! such a cool process... i will say... NEVER coat a skull!!!!!!! was horrible... horrible! smelled in the shop for weeks!
Did you get set up in Hydro!! I'm not there yet. Too many other projects going.

Quick Reply: Powder coat / B