Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder coat / B

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Rock Chalk
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Powder coat / B

As I sit down taking a break from disassembling my bike for powder coating (and to watch some Tebow time) I made a list of questions I'm looking for some help/advice on.

2009 Street Glide. The manual has been awesome as this is really my first adventure into anything like this. It started with putting monkey bars on and led to this...

1. Does powder coating bolts affect how they fit, do I need to worry about this at all?

2. How do I take out the insides of the turn signals?

3. Streamliner footboards/pegs: do I just peel the rubber out and reglue after getting them coated?

4. Is the taillight chrome base piece able to be powder coated? It seems like plastic.

5. Do I really need to take the fender off to get the rear turn signals off?

6. Can I powder coat the exhaust? Monster ovals.

7. How much of a deal is taking the forks off? Is that going to another level?

Thanks guys for all the help....your all like the biker dad I never had!
Steve

Old 12-18-2011, 05:16 PM
shakes114
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The forks aren't that bad I did mine last week. Easy job, take your time. I was told you don't need to take the forks completely out of the bike, I did bc I didn't know any better.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:47 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,507 Posts

Exhaust should be ceramic coated;inside and out. Anything plastic or rubber will be melted during powder coating. Chrome will powder coat fine unless scracthed or dinged enough for the base coat/metal to come in contact with the powder coating; bad juju.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:01 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm slowly powdercoating a list of parts on mine. Started with just the air cleaner but ended up like this...

I kept finding things I wanted to fix, like cracked fairing brkts bla bla bla.

Anything that can withstand the temp and ground required for the powder to "attach" will work fine but if it's chrome you will want to etch it somehow.

I powdercoat exhaust often. I don't use basic powder though. Regular powder claims "high temp" but I use a different powder specifically for crazy high temp applications. But again, if it begins slick (like chrome) it must be etched, sanded or sand blasted.

I use that same powder for brake rotors as well.

This is one of my wife's bikes that pretty much all powdercoated except for the pinstripes...but she has powdercoated rotors. I guess I don't have any other pics of rotors.

And yes, powdercoating any fastener or hole for fasteners will need to be addressed. Threads need to be covered or re-tapped and the powder adds thickness so if the bolt is countersunk tightly it may not fit. Same thing with tools. Especially in allen bolts.

Last edited by mreed; 12-18-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:46 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

You can powder coat plastic. It has to be outgassed first then heated up for the powder to stick to. (hell, i've even powder coated a glass bottle).

Old 12-18-2011, 11:29 PM
convergecult
Intermediate

Originally Posted by harleytuner
You can powder coat plastic. It has to be outgassed first then heated up for the powder to stick to. (hell, i've even powder coated a glass bottle).
Really? I thought power coat was baked on at 400 degrees. This would melt the **** out any plastic etc... I have had a TON of stuff powdered over the years and have never heard of this. Any other info to share on this?

Old 12-18-2011, 11:42 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Once you're comfortable with your system and understand what it takes to make powder work you can experiment. I've never thought of powdercoating plastic but I have done master cylinders & calipers without tearing them down. I don't like doing them...but I have. It sucks prepping them and constantly monitoring temps.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:37 AM
thenewrage
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

forks arent that bad. Lots of threads on it. Pm me if you have any questions. I have a couple threads on it. Also as far as the rear turn signal question you have. I think you should be able to get at that by dropping the rear wheel. I cant remember for sure but dropping the rear wheel should give you that access you need. Either way if you pull the fender completely out, youll have to pull the rear wheel.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:27 AM
caaraa
Banned

Exhaust should be ceramic coated;inside and out. Anything plastic or rubber will be melted during powder coating.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:48 AM
lazmorph
Advanced

Originally Posted by mreed
This is one of my wife's bikes that pretty much all powdercoated except for the pinstripes...but she has powdercoated rotors.
Does applying the brakes remove or ruin any of the powder coating on the rotors?

Quick Reply: Powder coat / B