Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which Air Horn Would You Choose?
Rivco - AHHD
15.85%
Howards Horns
7.32%
ProPad - Mini Beast 4 or 5
31.71%
Stebel Nautilus
19.51%
MetalArts
6.10%
Other
19.51%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

AIR HORNS - Poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 08:08 AM
Knightlimper
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel that it really depends on what bike you ride.

When I had a Heritage, I mounted the Howards Horns Dynamic Duo. They looked really sharp and were very loud - especially in front.

I traded the Heritage for a Limited, but when I thought about getting an air horn, I realized that mounting the Dynamic Duo would blast the sound right into the lower left fairing, which would bounce it right back at me.

Since I really want other people to hear the horn, I have a Propad on the Limited. The sound is pretty loud, most of it seems to pass out to the left side (as you sit in the saddle). I've thought about mounting another one on the right side of the bike to be louder over on the right, but that seems a little too paranoid even for me.

No matter how loud the horn, getting the attention of these distracted drivers is tough.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:18 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a Mini Beats II and like it fine. It was a simple install for sure.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:20 AM
RGB11
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pro Pad Mini!!

Old 12-27-2011, 08:46 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 528 Posts

Another vote here for the Pro Pad Mini Beast Horns!
FYI, they just came out w/ a new round horn. Looks kinda like something that PM would make. They are around the $200.00.

Good Luck and Ride Safe!

YELLOWBIRD

Attached Thumbnails AIR HORNS - Poll-yellowbird-081.jpg  
Old 12-27-2011, 08:56 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RGB11
Pro Pad Mini!!
Nice, looks good! Sweet ride.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:03 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Knightlimper
I feel that it really depends on what bike you ride.

When I had a Heritage, I mounted the Howards Horns Dynamic Duo. They looked really sharp and were very loud - especially in front.

I traded the Heritage for a Limited, but when I thought about getting an air horn, I realized that mounting the Dynamic Duo would blast the sound right into the lower left fairing, which would bounce it right back at me.

Since I really want other people to hear the horn, I have a Propad on the Limited. The sound is pretty loud, most of it seems to pass out to the left side (as you sit in the saddle). I've thought about mounting another one on the right side of the bike to be louder over on the right, but that seems a little too paranoid even for me.

No matter how loud the horn, getting the attention of these distracted drivers is tough.
Agreed and agreed...

Here is how I mounted the Rivco's on my '09. This way all the sound is forward and directed to the correct recipient.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/christo/5371637078/http://www.flickr.com/photos/christo/5371637078/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/christo/, on Flickr

Last edited by ChristoHD; 04-27-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:10 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

As stated above the Pro Pad horns have Stebel/Wolo's inside. You are paying for the cover which are all excellent quality & look great.

The Stebel Nautilus & the Wolo Bad Boys are the same horn from the same factory in Italy.

The chrome On the Stebel/Wolo is plastic & will scratch & wear easily.

I had the Wolo Bad Boys for a year or two & that was my experience. I put the Mini Beast II on both bikes 2-3 years ago & they sound great & the chrome finish is perfect.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:41 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I chose the Stebel. I separated the horn from the compressor. I put the horn behind the stock cow bell and put the compressor behind the left panel beside the fuse panel. Looks stock and is very very loud.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went a different route to get some louder horns.

As others have commented, I too thought the factory horn was weak and was thinking about all the different type of air horns available. What held me back from buying some air horns was that I had seen numerous posts about different brands and reports of issues some had had including broken brackets and some that just quit working after a short time. The HD air horn seemed especially to have a lot of issues.

I then bought the HD parade fan and the stock horn had to be relocated.

The parade fan kit came with a horn and was to be installed using the right front fuel tank mounting bolt. I ran all the wires and installed everything following the instructions.

The horn that came with the fan kit was even worse than the factory horn as in being even quieter.

I remembered my last two bikes had some pretty loud horns so I went to the dealer and had them order a pair of horns for that bike. They are scroll type horns with a left and right mount and left and right scrolls.

I ran some wire to connect the two horns to the factory horn wires and mounted them on the front fuel tank mounts on each side, angling them so the scroll outlet faced forward and slightly down to clear the crash bar. I did not have to add a relay. It was a very easy install.

Now when I press the horn button I hear a very loud two-tone beep which so far has worked very well.

Oh, the horns are the stock horns off a late model Honda Goldwing.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:08 AM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The mini beast I had lasted less than a year. Tried to contact Pro Pad by email - no response. I went with the HD air horn.

Quick Reply: AIR HORNS - Poll