Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Start Lifter Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tourglider
So the lifters seemed to be the problem? I have a 07 ultra classic with a stage 1 kit. The internals are stock as far as I know. Mine does the same thing on cold mornings. Its gone by the time I literally get 3 houses up the street. It was so loud I thought it was a loose exhaust baffle or clutch chatter but it was definitely from the right side of the bike so I ruled out clutch noise. This might be my issue also. Any point to changing lifters other than getting rid of the rattle? I live in Florida so my cold morning are few and far between, if its not hurting anything I would just rather let it be. Any thoughts?
If you are hearing a lot of valvetrain noise on start up I would recommend letting it sit and idle (No Load) until it quiets down. All lifters bleed down over night, it becomes a matter of how long it takes them to pump back up. As long as they pump back up before you ride off, you really aren't doing any damage. If you really have a lifter problem it's when one of them never pumps up, and you get noise while riding and idling. You would know it. A collapsed lifter. I have never had an issue with stock "B" lifters and my problem came from changing to an aftermarket brand. I knew I had a slow lifter, and didn't like it. Switched back to my stock lifters to prove it and would have stayed with these lifters, but with 25000 on them and putting in new cams, I wanted new lifters.

Last edited by Hog Yild; 01-13-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:45 PM
tourglider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info! As long as its not hurting anything I will let it warm up before taking off. Thanks again!

Old 01-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master

Thanks for the info! As long as its not hurting anything I will let it warm up before taking off. Thanks again!
If it never quiets down or all of a sudden starts doing it while riding, have it checked. How cold outside, 40s?

Old 01-13-2012, 08:02 PM
tourglider
Tourer

More like high 40's, never when its warm out or warmed up. I just leave for work at 5 am so I start her up and pull away so not to bother the neighbors but it stops like I said 3 houses up the street so I guess they can deal with it for a minute or so while it warms up. But I have to say its loud enough that the first time it freaked me out!

Old 01-13-2012, 09:04 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master

More like high 40's, never when its warm out or warmed up. I just leave for work at 5 am so I start her up and pull away so not to bother the neighbors but it stops like I said 3 houses up the street so I guess they can deal with it for a minute or so while it warms up. But I have to say its loud enough that the first time it freaked me out!
Understand what you are saying, but I would let it warm up before riding off.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:13 PM
tourglider
Tourer

Let it warm up today both on the way to work and home. The noise was gone in literally 45 seconds. Certainly nothing I can't live with. Thanks again for the time and info.