Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got to take a ride today (56K Warning)... extremely pic heavy

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 01:07 AM
TNB
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Tiki
My shot of Arch Rock was HDR... I didn't bring my pro cameras just my Holga and a G12, so it was shot in camera (from the G12 obviously), the hardest part was finding the right size rock to prop the lens up with so it would be steady. hahaha
I've shot a few HDR photos with my G10. I also have a very small cheap tripod that is only about 5 1.2 inches long that will hold the G10 just fine. Then again, I have a small carbon fiber one I can haul in my saddlebags (without the head mounted on it).

How do you like the GoPro? I recently purchased the Hero2 after taking advantage of the pre-order instant rebate/discount at SEMA. I've only tried it a couple of times. Recently, mounted it on my friend's crash bar as we rode from the Welcome to Las Vegas sign south of Mandalay Bay past downtown Fremont Street. However, I still need to figure out how to compress the files more and perhaps, not shoot as wide with it.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:27 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 572 Likes on 216 Posts

I have all three versions of the GoPro and the Hero2 is by far the best. I have some shake issues though that I didn't have in the previous versions when mounted on my bike. It just seems to vibrate more and I am having issues trying to resolve it.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:34 AM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have all three versions of the GoPro and the Hero2 is by far the best. I have some shake issues though that I didn't have in the previous versions when mounted on my bike. It just seems to vibrate more and I am having issues trying to resolve it.
The mounting hardware is the key. I have the Contour GPS, and I never have any issue in terms of vibration at all.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:38 AM
CHILLLS
Road Captain

ive put my gopro on the crash bars & position it so i get the front suspension moving & the tire/wheel turning.
on my sport bike i would mount on the spools out the back to see what was behind me & sometimes face it forward off the spools to get the rear & front suspension plus being down that low when i would lay it into a corner it would look like the camera was on the ground .
dont be afraid to put it in different locations on the bike, you would be surprised to see what comes out on some of the videos.
i just dont like sticking things to the bike thats why i asked about the location on yours, the roll bar mount & the frame mount will clamp to anything almost.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:39 AM
DetroitDetomaso
Advanced

Looks like a great time. I've been kicked out of Valley of Fire for taking pictures of my car. The Ranger was a DICK!

Old 01-17-2012, 01:50 AM
bobgv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:58 AM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 572 Likes on 216 Posts

Yup, thats the state park for ya. In the National Parks, as long as you are not obstructing other tourist you can pretty much do whatever (as long as the ranger isn't in a bad mood) in the Nevada State Parks, you need a photo permit for most everything.

Jackhis/Chills : I have rigged many a camera to a variety of vehicles. I'm thinking that the weight of the Hero2 is just different enough that I am getting a harmonic vibration and the RAM mount just isn't enough to stabilize the camera without at least another mount point. This can be confirmed on at least one occasion where I was able to stabilize the Hero2 on a 18" extension and used the safety tether as additional support.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:39 AM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Yup, thats the state park for ya. In the National Parks, as long as you are not obstructing other tourist you can pretty much do whatever (as long as the ranger isn't in a bad mood) in the Nevada State Parks, you need a photo permit for most everything.

Jackhis/Chills : I have rigged many a camera to a variety of vehicles. I'm thinking that the weight of the Hero2 is just different enough that I am getting a harmonic vibration and the RAM mount just isn't enough to stabilize the camera without at least another mount point. This can be confirmed on at least one occasion where I was able to stabilize the Hero2 on a 18" extension and used the safety tether as additional support.

Please explain what a photo permit is and cost. I plan on going out west next year in your area. If I want to stop and take a picture of the wife or bike I need a permit ??? Seems nuts.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:50 AM
xjayx
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome pics, I did that run back in late october 2011 and it was great. Lots of great scenery, the temperature was in the 40's at that time but was still a lot of fun.

Jay

Old 01-17-2012, 04:45 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,053 Likes on 10,301 Posts

Some fantastic pics Doc.... The warming sensation is greatly appreciated,
seeing as we struggled to get temps above ZERO Saturday.

I'm always impressed with pics from the desert area, seeing as close as I
get to that is the local sand pile the highway dept throws on the roads
when it gets slippery !!!

Quick Reply: Got to take a ride today (56K Warning)... extremely pic heavy