Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike to Bike Communication

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 10:13 AM
Tytanium
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silverado636
I am looking at the 'IMC MIT 100'. To be used for rider to passenger communications. I want to know if anyone has info on how to wire thefactory HK radio on my 07 EGC so it can have an output jack so I can here the radio thru the headset.
With the current non-HD systems available - you're not going to be able to route the music from the stock HK head unit into an aftermarket wireless / BT headset AND retain CB or Bluetooth bike-to-bike commo reliably.

You'd have to install about $600ish dollars worth of HD parts (wiring harnesses) to install the intercom system and then buy HD (or compatible) headset(s). Harleypingman on this forum is probably the best source of info on how to get this done. He has a post that is a photo documentary of the install (his included CB too). With this solution you've pretty much committed to using the HK CB for bike-to-bike. Really detailed post. I'd start there.

Personally - HD needs to move AWAY from CB all together and get with the rest of the world and look at GMRS/FRS radio solutions. Preferably not built into the head unit but as a addition. They tried to put too much into the HK head unit and the strap on OEM solutions are WAY too pricey.

T

Last edited by Tytanium; 02-24-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:44 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley58
I have been reading quite a few threads on bike to bike communications. But haven't found the exact information I am looking for. What I am looking for is a unit that works to communicate from one bike to another bike that will work with or with out a helmet. When I am required to wear one it is a half helmet. My other question is I would still like to be able to hear my radio.
thx.
I have this set by Cardo Systems. Blue Tooth, passenger to rider, GPS, Cell phone, FM\AM Radio, Bike to Bike for up to one mile. Works really well. Since our radio's are not Blue Tooth it won't work for them however, I have read somewhere that is a device you can hook up to our radios that make them Blue Tooth.
http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-ri...er-g4-powerset

Last edited by Terrabella; 02-24-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:37 AM
scottdoege
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Terrabella
I have this set by Cardo Systems. Blue Tooth, passenger to rider, GPS, Cell phone, FM\AM Radio, Bike to Bike for up to one mile. Works really well. Since our radio's are not Blue Tooth it won't work for them however, I have read somewhere that is a device you can hook up to our radios that make them Blue Tooth.
http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-ri...er-g4-powerset
Uclear has an accessory that allows non Bluetooth devices to connect to their headsets. I am working on a wiring harness to connect it to the Harley ultra classic. When I am complete this unit, it will sit inline with the current cb and allow the cb and Harmon kardon radio to be transmitted via Bluetooth to the unclear headset.

Last edited by scottdoege; 02-24-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:19 PM
mdtpr
Advanced

I have the freeridemotosports.com ones and we like them! Took a trip to California last year and they were great! I would suggest an extra foam wind buffer at highway speeds....over 65-70mph due to wind noise.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:44 PM
italianprincess70
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Troubleman
I don't ride to talk.
Same here. The Old Man and I use hand signals when necessary, and talk after we get off the bikes during a pit stop.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:43 PM
boatwake
Advanced

I've been using the uClear http://www.uclear-digital.com/us/ boomless HBC-200. I have speakers mounted in my full-face helmet and use their earbuds with my half helmet or no helmet. I am a BIG fan of NOT having a boom in front of my face!!! I tried speakers with the half-helmet, but didn't like using the speaker pockets. They recently released a software update that allows them to pair with other brand systems, but I haven't had an opportunity to try that yet.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:07 PM
Danofxdx
Road Captain

Originally Posted by reesestewww
Sena is the greatest. I use the SMH10. This unit in the link is pretty sweet.
I have the same SMH10 I tried it on my half helmet but the Boom mike was not ridged enough and would flop back I love it on my FF helmet and the fact that it can be moved from helmet to helmet is sweet but the version for no helmet is a stand alone unit and additional investment

Old 06-24-2014, 08:20 AM
jkane13
Tourer

Originally Posted by boatwake
I've been using the uClear http://www.uclear-digital.com/us/ boomless HBC-200. I have speakers mounted in my full-face helmet and use their earbuds with my half helmet or no helmet. I am a BIG fan of NOT having a boom in front of my face!!! I tried speakers with the half-helmet, but didn't like using the speaker pockets. They recently released a software update that allows them to pair with other brand systems, but I haven't had an opportunity to try that yet.
Where is the mic? In the ear buds or what?

Does it really work with wind noise?

How do you use your helmet speakers instead of the ear buds? Does it have a phono plug to unplug theirs and use your own?

Old 06-24-2014, 05:54 PM
boatwake
Advanced

Originally Posted by jkane13
Where is the mic? In the ear buds or what?

Does it really work with wind noise?

How do you use your helmet speakers instead of the ear buds? Does it have a phono plug to unplug theirs and use your own?
I'm probably not the best to explain the technology, their website does a pretty good job of that, but there is a mic on each speaker (or cords of the earbuds) that creates a focal point just in front of your mouth. They recommend that you be careful when you install the speakers to point them correctly (I found that you didn't need to be too accurate). The mics in the cords of the earbuds are fine as long as you put them in the correct ears (R vs. L).

I ride SG so there is limited wind noise, but the noise cancellation in these things is amazing. I don't hear any wind noise.

The radio mounts on your helmet like any other bluetooth radio. The speakers or earbuds plug-in to what looks like a small USB connector (not micro-USB) in thee radio (this also how you charge them). I've also used the earbuds and just put the radio in a pocket. The sound quality is great!

Last edited by boatwake; 06-24-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:36 AM
jkane13
Tourer

I read it wrong the first time. I see that you said you use "their" earbuds. I have custom earplugs with skull candy earbuds embedded in them (to make them easy to replace). I would like to keep using them.

I see now where the mics are at. Interesting. Good to hear others say they work.

I would like to try them out some day and see how they work. My wife's headset (scala rider Q2) keeps having the VOX key and I get wind noise from her. Mine has developed a loose earplug connector. We both have the half helmet kits too. I can hear her no matter where she puts her mic. She can even hide it under her jacket! However, she can't hear me unless my lips are touching the mic. Each has it's own issues. They are only a couple of years old. I am already looking for a new set.