Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Tuner or Fuel Pak to buy

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 12:11 PM
pw
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Which Tuner or Fuel Pak to buy

I'm sure this has been discussed to death but I want a fresh view on it.
I have a 2010 Ultra Limit and so far I've changed out the header pipe and installed the V&H Power Duel to get rid of the CAT and put the stock mufflers back on. Other than that the motor is stock.
During the big sale last week at our dealer I ordered a set of SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers, the 4" diameter ones and the SE Stage 1 Air Cleaner Kit. Now before I install all this I need a tuner or fuel pak. That's where you all come in.
Let me give you a little background on what I'm trying to achieve. First I don't want loud exhaust. I had Rineharts on my last Ultra and hated them. That was way to far on the loud side for me. What I'm attempting to do is free the motor up, help it breathe better, hopefully run cooler and performance should be a given.
Personal I believe there's already is plenty of power for two up riding loaded with gear to go over a mountain or pass an 18 wheeler without doing a lot of shifting. I won't turn down any power gains for what I'm about to install on this bike though.

My question(s)

1. What tuner/fuel pak do you recommend? What are the pro/cons of what you like? How reliability are they? What's been your experience with price?
The dealer wants to sale me the Harley SE Pro Tuner at $450.00 but will give me 20 percent off the cost of the part if I let them install it at 1/2 hr labor. You have to let them install it anyway if you buy Harley's, correct? My understanding is most of these other tuners you can install yourself.

2. Has anybody purchased the SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers, and do you like them? I heard the SE Thunder Street Performance Slip-on Mufflers just before I purchased what I'm getting. These slip-ons are only 3-1/2" diameter and disigned to work with the header mounted cat for the header.

Thanks

Old 01-25-2012, 12:19 PM
vnelson79
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the V&H Fuel Pak, and it's a piece of crap. I am going to change to the Power Commander Vision or V. Jamie @ Fuel Moto is the man when it comes to programming. It is cheaper than the SE race tuner, also you don't have to pay for dyno time as in the SE race tuner

Old 01-25-2012, 12:39 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

...and i use the nightrider.com XIEDS.

$125

No map, no download, no programming and good results.

The xieds are a resistor pack which you plug inline with the o2 sensors. they reduce the voltage from the o2 sensors making the ECM "think" that the mixture is leaner than it is, so it slightly richens the mixture.( under most riding conditions)

It's not richened to the point where you would smell gas or blow soot, mpg is slightly affected, mine went from 44 to 43 mpg

And XIEDS unplug instantly should you ever have to go in for a warranty claim- which can be a concern for any of the add-on or download devices.

Mike

Old 01-25-2012, 12:40 PM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 145 Posts

Power Vision from FM. Jamie will set you up with a map. Now that you can transfer the tuner to a new or another bike for $200, it's a no-brainer.

TedMan

Old 01-25-2012, 01:39 PM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

power commander is what i got from fuelmoto later add cams, sent me a new map ready to go.cost 299.00 plus 2 year warranty.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:41 PM
VinnyM
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Call Fuel moto, great products and service.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:51 PM
pw
Advanced

Hey VNelson79,
I didn't know the SE Tuner had to be put on the dyno. The dealer I use doesn't have a dyno in house. Wonder why they insist on me getting the SE Tuner besides that's what they sell?
I talked with a someone I know from work today who just told me basically he did the same thing to his Softtail I'm doing and all he had to do was a s/w download and then the tuner is removed from the bike. He said you do ride the bike with the tuner installed for about 20 minutes to collect data then you download the data on your computer and read it. He managed to install himself. I would not attempt to do it myself.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:55 PM
vnelson79
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The street tuner doesn't require a dyno, but the race tuner can if you want to squeeze the most out of the bike. There should be different maps on the SE tuner you can use, but remember it's going to be the EPA legal solution. And HD is always going to try and sell there own brand, I've been told that the stage 1 download is basically junk by techs at my local dealer. They said you can make more power by using the download on a stock air cleaner and pipes than changing it. If it's not the race tuner, it cannot adjust the fuel tables..

Last edited by vnelson79; 01-25-2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-25-2012, 02:15 PM
pw
Advanced

I was going to buy the race tuner. I've been told the same thing about the street tuner. It has very little adjustment and meets EPA standards.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by pw
I was going to buy the race tuner. I've been told the same thing about the street tuner. It has very little adjustment and meets EPA standards.

Yep,the street tuner is garbage.

Quick Reply: Which Tuner or Fuel Pak to buy