Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else that doesn't like riding 2 up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Macker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eazyduzzit
I probably wouldn't ride if she quit going with me. I would take the dog too if I had a sidecar.
Wow different strokes I guess...totally opposite from my perspective. She doesn't like riding and I do. I also like to go to the range and shoot my guns for an afternoon, she doesn't. I like golf, she hates it. I also spend a lot of time running and cycling, she doesn't. We have have many things in common but I have my activities and she has hers. We've been together and happy for over 40 years.

I'm not going to quit doing the things that I enjoy just because she doesn't.

I'm curious, had you ridden before you bought your Harley? Would you have sold it if she didn't like it after those first couple of rides?

Old 02-03-2012, 11:23 PM
chase1500
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Geoff
Would like it more if the wife lost weight.
make sure she reads this

Old 02-03-2012, 11:27 PM
pccoder
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Like to get out with my wife but I prefer solo.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:44 PM
CT-Bagger
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geoff
Would like it more if the wife lost weight.
Post a picture of your face after you tell her that.

LOL !

Old 02-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Fire1Tex
Advanced

Your experience 2UP is really dependent on the passenger. The OL has turned into a good passenger, rarely even know she's back there, and when I do notice her, we have a little chit chat about it. Like the time we were on the cork screws at Custer State Park in SD, and she wheeled around to take a pic of our buds...as you can imagine it threw off the dynamics of the bike in the lean just a tad...that was an intense little chit chat.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:11 PM
BIGVTWIN
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love riding to up with the ol! Did not take her long to learn how to be a good passenger!
I really dont even know she is there. Only when she gets on at first do I have any problem what so ever.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:34 PM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

the benefits of 2 up trips have outweighed the negatives by far. She didn't mind racing through mountains on the CBX keeping up with solo riders 20 years ago and still dragging pegs on the Valkyrie last year. We have talked of her riding, my worry is it being a college educated blonde "thing".
Now we can relax and ride in more comfort, but I told her the pre ride "discussion" is changing for her first year of Harley riding........

Last edited by bigfish_Oh; 02-05-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:59 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Same here I don't like riding 2-up but she can't use a clutch or get a license to ride a bike or buy one so I guess I'm stuck!

Old 02-05-2012, 05:41 PM
ThaGlyde
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lost Again
My wife is a horrible passenger. She's gotten her 3 strikes so, no more passenger. 1st strike was when we went to pick up her Heritage from the dealer. She decides we can ride 2 up. Get 30 feet down the road the shifting starts. 20 minutes later we are going thru a village and a car is stopped waiting to turn left. No problem, it is at the center line plenty of room on the left. Wife is not paying attention until we get 4 feet from the car, sees the car & panics. Not so much room anymore. To make matters worse my cousin is following on her bike & I can hear her laughing in the background!!!!!!!!!

2nd strike, she has the urge to ride 2 up again. Approaching a red light, at 2 mph she decides she needs to adjust her pant leg over her boot with both hands. @($*$%&^$^(#(

3rd strike is the best. Again she gets the urge to ride behind me for some reason. Had to park on a lawn. Just made my way onto the pavement, about to shift onto 2nd & all of the sudden she is leaning so far off the bike I think she is going to fall off. )$(*$&^#^#*!!!! She thought the back tire was flat & was checking it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 strikes you're out of here.
Ha! you were right. Flat tire was the best one.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Love riding solo. Love riding 2-up! We both have our own Harleys, but love doing long tours together. We work as a team especially in foreign parts (we have travelled through Europe several times) and it is great having two pairs of eyes. Adds greatly to the experience of riding to new places.

Quick Reply: Anyone else that doesn't like riding 2 up?