Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Leak????

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 01:50 AM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 93 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Exhaust Leak????

I've combed over the exhaust threads and haven't found any pertaining to a possible diagnostic. I have a clicking sound coming from somewhere in the vicinity of the front jug. I've done the clutch adjustment through the derby cover to take up any play in the push rods at the lifters and there is no slippage at any point in any gear.

I had to loosen the exhaust when I installed a Glide-Pro last year. I really only hear it when accelerating. At idle and once up to speed the noise is either absent or negligible. Could the sound I'm hearing be an exhaust leak?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Old 02-03-2012, 02:17 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

clutch- lifters.

no relationship between the two, and this suggests that you lack basic understanding of how the motor and drivetrain work, never mind the components.

( and that is ok- nobody ever asked you to stop what you are doing and learn to become a mechanic)

I'd suggest you have a professional tech take a quick look for you.

you may have a damaged or loosened seal at the exhaust port or elsewhere, there is a potential of causing real damage if left un remedied. A leaking seal at the exhaust port may allow air with oxygen to combine with the exhaust gasses forming a "blow torch" which can burn the metal.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 02-03-2012 at 02:30 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:51 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree with mkguitar. Understand you are hearing a clicking sound but, your understanding doesn't make sense. You may just be hearing the injectors working, depending on what year bike you have and engine mods. You can check for leaks from the exhaust by passing cigarette smoke around the exhaust port.