Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlin Shock Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 11:23 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Ohlin Shock Question

I am getting ready to buy some Ohlin shocks for my bike.

Question - Is there anyone out there with Ohlin 2-X shocks who wishes they would have got 3-X shocks instead?

I am a fairly sedate rider, I hardly ever grind my floor boards or push the bike real hard. What I am looking for is comfortable smooth ride with the feeling that the bike is strongly connected to the road.

I have already talked to Howard. He said that that 2-X shocks would work fine for me, but I could get the 3-X if I wanted. The 3-X are almost $250 more than the 2-X. Would this be money well spent for me?

Let me know what you think....

Thanks

Old 02-14-2012, 03:28 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Nobody has a set of Ohlins and an opinion?

Old 02-14-2012, 03:57 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I have the #2 version, they are 36e's if you go with Ohlin's designation of design. The spring sag preload adjustment is more difficult. I got my sag preload adjusted by moving the spring perch retaining clip 1 groove. The ramp adjuster is for 2 up riding and payload adjustments not for setting the sag. The spring adjuster on the #3 is screw only so the sag is easy to set but you must screw the same adjuster if desired for more preload for 2 up riding and then screw it back for solo riding. The sweep valve damping adjuster on the #3(36d Ohlins designation) is decidedly rebound biased, it does have some small effect on compression at slow stroke speeds. I am split on whether I would spend 250 dollars more to make the sag easier to achieve and to adjust the rebound damping. I don't ride 2 up often and when I do I have not felt the need for adjustments. I am a long time Ohlins user and I had total faith in the performance of the 36e shock when I chose them. I understand the differences in design between emulsion and divided. If I was really looking for the top level of performance I would skip the #3 and go to a reservoir type damper, my preference would be a piggyback design over a remote if I could get them to fit under the bags. I just don't know if after spending that much money(1500+) how I would feel about it. As far as the #2 vs #3 choice, if you ride very aggressively and heat your shocks up so they are too hot to touch after riding then I would say spend the 250 extra, if not then the only advantage might be the screw adjuster for the sag adjustments.

Last edited by qtrracer; 02-14-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:14 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

I have the #2's and have not had the slightest wish to upgrade from there since I installed them. I wasn't really looking for an upgrade when I bought them. I was just trying to make my wife more comfortable on longer rides.

I'd hate to go back to stock now that I am used to the Ohlins. I am sure there are better shocks out there, but the Ohlins #2 are more than ok with me.

Dennis

Old 02-14-2012, 05:24 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm running the 2-3 (13 1/4") on my SG and find them perfect for one & two up riding. The rear end may be elevated some while parked but it drops down to close to stock height when you sit on the bike.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:52 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks for the replies,
Will probabbly order mine tommorrow still trying to figure out whitch one...

Old 02-15-2012, 06:46 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just went thru the same process, and decided on the 2-2B Ohlins for my '11 FLTRU. If all goes well I'll install them this weekend. Also doing the Monotubes up front.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:56 AM
eathomps
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the 2-2Bs on my '02 Road Glide. I'm very happy with them.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:00 AM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 3-3 on my 2012 Ultra and love them. Easy adjustments for whatever riding style. Huge improvement over stock

Old 02-15-2012, 07:06 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
I have the #2 version, they are 36e's if you go with Ohlin's designation of design. The spring sag preload adjustment is more difficult. I got my sag preload adjusted by moving the spring perch retaining clip 1 groove. The ramp adjuster is for 2 up riding and payload adjustments not for setting the sag. The spring adjuster on the #3 is screw only so the sag is easy to set but you must screw the same adjuster if desired for more preload for 2 up riding and then screw it back for solo riding. The sweep valve damping adjuster on the #3(36d Ohlins designation) is decidedly rebound biased, it does have some small effect on compression at slow stroke speeds. I am split on whether I would spend 250 dollars more to make the sag easier to achieve and to adjust the rebound damping. I don't ride 2 up often and when I do I have not felt the need for adjustments. I am a long time Ohlins user and I had total faith in the performance of the 36e shock when I chose them. I understand the differences in design between emulsion and divided. If I was really looking for the top level of performance I would skip the #3 and go to a reservoir type damper, my preference would be a piggyback design over a remote if I could get them to fit under the bags. I just don't know if after spending that much money(1500+) how I would feel about it. As far as the #2 vs #3 choice, if you ride very aggressively and heat your shocks up so they are too hot to touch after riding then I would say spend the 250 extra, if not then the only advantage might be the screw adjuster for the sag adjustments.
In all due respect but the #3 series comes with a check valve in the compression side of the of the needle valve. This prohibits oil from bypassing the the piston on the compression stroke through the one way needle valve. The high end of the stroke is also a bit harsh with a closed end needle valve. What you read on someones site is not necessary what you get with me. That is what I do and this is what you get without asking.

The reason why the #3 series shocks I sell (I do not wish to get into this too deep because it is my own modification and industrial secret) have an adjustable compression that works. Ohlins USA knew what I was doing beforehand because I told them how we machine this modification thus eliminating all warranty issues for my customers. All #3 family shocks I built has this modification.

Ohlins USA is now purchasing the shocks with this new modification directly from Ohlins in Sweden. The shocks have a different identification number than before (HD-909), the shocks that were purchased directly from Ohlins through other dealers in the next few weeks will have this one upgrade. That is only one modification I have done.

The reason why the shocks I sell to my customers work so well is because I hand build every one for each individual customer. I spent my time learning how shocks work by working with the very best suspension technicians in the world. All information is gathered at the track with real riders who actually know how to ride a bike and how a motorcycle should feel, and not by some no nothing guy bouncing down the road. This information is than converted to what would benefit a Harley rider. Why do you think that Ohlins only sold a few shocks (less than 10/year) before I started working with them? They just did not work very well and received poor reviews. Read and know your history. This all happened here on HDF in front of your own eyes. I started working with a shock company called Penske and many here posted dumb *** poser crap like why would anyone ever purchase a suspension up-grade for $1,000? Now you fa*ot posers, there are some of us who actually ride their bike and demand performance excellence. You f*gs know who you are.

The difference between me is that I always answer my phone 7 days a week, insist that you call me for installation, and never sell a shock in the box but custom build it, I am an authorized and factory trained Ohlins service center, and never quit pushing the envelope in chase of the holey grail of suspension perfection. When the shocks are worn out you can send them back and we will rebuild them, me, not someone you do not know. You can also ride in (providing I have the rebuild parts in stock) and I do the job in front of you. I am not a big box store or fired Circuit City employee answering the phone.

To answer your question, yes, a #3 family will ride smoother than a #2 due to there internal parts. They are not the same. If a #2 were the only shock available, it far out performs all of the other HD type equipment either OEM or aftermarket sold by others and I am here all of the time to prove it to anyone who wishes to challenge this claim. All is well until you than ride a #3 shock and the difference is realized. A shock is a tool and the right tool should always be selected.

The #5 have a different compression valve than the other shocks and are an upgrade in comparison to the #3.

The #6 has very expensive compression valving in the ressy and the configuration is nothing like any of the other shocks. Metering oil is what controls the shock movement. The ride on the #6 is no way compared with the aforementioned shocks, it is far superior. The internal workings of the #6 differences are not as described and the internal ressy valve was developed for F-1 and therefor not described or divulged to others outside of the Ohlins personal except in general terms. There is a reason why people who have them would not part with them. If you just purchased a #6 without trying and comparing against other shocks, you would think that all shocks work like a #6. They do not.

There you have it.

Last edited by FastHarley; 02-15-2012 at 08:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Ohlin Shock Question