Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of power update

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 04:49 PM
tom lipke
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how many miles were on the bike and what condition were the adjuster shoes in?

Old 02-15-2012, 04:58 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Perhaps the oil pump was not seated correctly in it's o-ring when the mechanic reinstalled the cam plate. I believe this will cause oil to sump in the cam chest resulting in a loss of power. Maybe one of the mechanics can chime in on this one?

Old 02-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by atrain68
Perhaps the oil pump was not seated correctly in it's o-ring when the mechanic reinstalled the cam plate. I believe this will cause oil to sump in the cam chest resulting in a loss of power. Maybe one of the mechanics can chime in on this one?
That was my thought as well. Shouldn't have anything to do with the PC.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:43 AM
nickel dime
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tom lipke
how many miles were on the bike and what condition were the adjuster shoes in?
It's a tic over 17k and the adjusters looked to me somewhat worn and a little pitted. The mechanic later said they were shot.

I decided to take the bike back to the shop in Richmond that serviced the bike for the prior owner and did the mods to it. I'm also hoping they still have the custom map for it.

The motor was really hot when I got there and he said he'll go into the motor from the top and recheck everything all the way down. I mentioned the sumping problem you guys mentioned and he said it did look like an oiling problem. I'm just hopeing I didn't hurt it further by riding it there.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:19 PM
X Iron Butt
Supporter
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nickel dime
It's a tic over 17k and the adjusters looked to me somewhat worn and a little pitted. The mechanic later said they were shot.

I decided to take the bike back to the shop in Richmond that serviced the bike for the prior owner and did the mods to it. I'm also hoping they still have the custom map for it.

The motor was really hot when I got there and he said he'll go into the motor from the top and recheck everything all the way down. I mentioned the sumping problem you guys mentioned and he said it did look like an oiling problem. I'm just hopeing I didn't hurt it further by riding it there.
If you still need a Dyno tune take it to Brooke McCabe at Collier's in Roanoake Rapids. Pick a good weather day and make the ride. If you want shoot me a PM a day or so ahead and I will ride down there with you. It's a nice ride on the back roads and takes about an hour and a half to get there. You should call Brook and set up an early am appointment first. He will give you some good advice over the phone too. He is very reasonable price wise about $100 less than the local guys in this area and loves his job.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:40 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,037 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Loss of power and overheating are both indications of sumping; that's the first thing I woudl check just to eliminate it as the source of the problem. Believe me, it's not the first time an experienced wrench put a sumping engine back together.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:19 AM
nickel dime
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by X Iron Butt
If you still need a Dyno tune take it to Brooke McCabe at Collier's in Roanoake Rapids. Pick a good weather day and make the ride. If you want shoot me a PM a day or so ahead and I will ride down there with you. It's a nice ride on the back roads and takes about an hour and a half to get there. You should call Brook and set up an early am appointment first. He will give you some good advice over the phone too. He is very reasonable price wise about $100 less than the local guys in this area and loves his job.
Thanks for the info and offer to ride with me. Right now it's at Pro Street Cycles in Richmond. I've heard good things about Collier's and if I head down there will let you know.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:58 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Is'nt it easy to find out if it's sumping by removing the crankcase drain plug?

Old 02-19-2012, 09:35 AM
rleggs
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wet sumping is common after a cam change if the oil pump o-rings were not changed. As suggested you can pull your crankcase drain plug and if you get over 4 oz. of oil, you've got a sumping issue. It will cause loss of power and hot running issues. I had this issue with my 04 Ultra.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:26 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,037 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
Is'nt it easy to find out if it's sumping by removing the crankcase drain plug?
Yes. The problem is that the crank case drain plug was not designed to be removed and reinstalled like the oil pan drain plug. The crank case drain plug is a pipe thread and the oil pan drain plug is a straight thread. Some with a heavy hand have cracked cases removing and reinstalling the crank case drain plug.

To check for sumping the bike should be ridden and engine brought close to or to operating temperature. Carefully remove the drain plug and 4-6 ounces should come out. I have seen a quart come out on one where the wrong oring was used at the scavenge port. Those that have cracked cases have usually done it on the reinstall of the drain plug.
AFAIK, there is not torque spec for this plug in the manual because the factory doesn't think it should be removed. Apply some thread sealant, Loctite makes a good one, and just snug the plug up. Check for leaks later and if seeping, tighten a bit more but in very small increments.

Quick Reply: Loss of power update