Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of power update

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 09:59 AM
nickel dime
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of power update

A few weeks ago I had an Indy put cam bearings, cam chain tensioners and lifters in my 01 EGC. I picked it up and it had a very noticable loss of power. Once he got back from vacation I took it back to him to go back through it and put new tires on it. I mentioned it had gone from 40 mpg to 30 mpg. He did a compression check and a fuel pressure check (both good) and started into the engine while I was there.

Picked it up the second time, he found nothing wrong in the engine but noticed it had running rich. He mentioned I could down load a new map for the Power Commander. My buddy was following me home in my car and said he could smell rich exhaust inside the car.

A $1000 later I have a reliable bike with new tires that runs like crap.

I'm strongly considering taking it back to the Indy that the previous owner used (about 70 miles away) to intially installed the exhaust, A/F and Power Commander and have him retune the bike.

Here's the question. Is it somewhat normal for power commanders or other tuners to periodically loose their map and have to be retuned?

I tried the disconnect the battery trick I read on here somewhere and no change.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:36 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Im pretty sure when changing cam you need to get a new map. I would call Jamie and Fuel Moto and ask him to send you a new map for your configuration.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't think you need to change the map unless the cams themselves are different but you only got bearings replaced down there. Call the Power Commander people 1 800 992-4993.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:41 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 71,123 Likes on 21,558 Posts

Originally Posted by nickel dime
A few weeks ago I had an Indy put cam bearings, cam chain tensioners and lifters in my 01 EGC. I picked it up and it had a very noticable loss of power. Once he got back from vacation I took it back to him to go back through it and put new tires on it. I mentioned it had gone from 40 mpg to 30 mpg. He did a compression check and a fuel pressure check (both good) and started into the engine while I was there.

Picked it up the second time, he found nothing wrong in the engine but noticed it had running rich. He mentioned I could down load a new map for the Power Commander. My buddy was following me home in my car and said he could smell rich exhaust inside the car.

A $1000 later I have a reliable bike with new tires that runs like crap.

I'm strongly considering taking it back to the Indy that the previous owner used (about 70 miles away) to intially installed the exhaust, A/F and Power Commander and have him retune the bike.

Here's the question. Is it somewhat normal for power commanders or other tuners to periodically loose their map and have to be retuned?

I tried the disconnect the battery trick I read on here somewhere and no change.
Best thing you can do to address this is to go to a good tuner(they're hard to find) who tunes w/a Power Commander and have him dyno your bike and install the new custom map in your PC.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:42 AM
nickel dime
Cruiser

I didn't think about calling Power Commander, Thanks

I still have the stock cams, just changed the bearings and tensioners.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:55 AM
nickel dime
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Best thing you can do to address this is to go to a good tuner(they're hard to find) who tunes w/a Power Commander and have him dyno your bike and install the new custom map in your PC.
Yeah, here in lies the rub. Any suggestions in SE Virginia?

Old 02-15-2012, 12:16 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Call jamie at Fuel Moto. Im not associated with him at all, but in the past when I had trouble with my old power commander he was a great help and sent me several maps to try. hes only a phone call or email away.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:39 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 71,123 Likes on 21,558 Posts

Originally Posted by nickel dime
Yeah, here in lies the rub. Any suggestions in SE Virginia?
Are there any rally's ever close to you?
Many dyno-ers do the rally's and you can catch them there..
How far is the closest dyno-er to you and what do they tune with?

I live in a small city area, less than 100 K population
and they're are 2 dyno-ers w/in 40 miles of me.

If this is completely out of consideration then the only thing you can do is try and find someone on this site who is using something close to what you are running or go to the Dynojet site and see what is close to yours..

Are you running a PC-III or a PC-V?

Old 02-15-2012, 04:27 PM
nickel dime
Cruiser

Looking on the P/C web site I found one of their dealers reasonably close so I'll call them and set up an appointment.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Good luck getting things worked out. I know this is a bit of a ways for you to go, but, the guys at Lynchburg HD are supposed to be about the best in the state. I haven't been to them so I don't know first hand.

Quick Reply: Loss of power update