Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drain plug loose, dealer recomends new pan

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:42 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i would just find a used oil pan on ebay.. i needed one a few years ago. sent an email to a few people selling parts on ebay.. a guy sold me one for $15.00.. a bigger plug is an option also..i have done that dozens of times on Japanese bikes and quads. i don't like helicoils on drain plugs because they tend to pull out easy if the bolt is put in and out multiple times, like after a few normal oil changes

Old 02-15-2012, 11:02 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

put a baker plus 1 on it and move forward. make this potential issue an improvement and better cool your engine. its only money, you can't take it with you

Old 02-15-2012, 11:09 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.timesert.com/ is the way to go. http://www.cgenterprises.com/harley_...otorcycles.htm

Last edited by BLKBAGGER; 02-15-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:23 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

hey no tyme, have you considered getting the threaded portion of the hole welded up? you could always re-tap for a chevy drain plug and flat sealing washer too. brass drain plug of course to avoid future problems. if the person is familiar with tig, then he'll be able to eliminate the porous and oil saturated syndrome. just get the threads welded over, mill the surface for contact to a common brass drain plug and sealing washer. ford, chevy, etc. and tap for your most practical size of plug. it doesn't have to be a silly harley o'ring to work. after all, it's only a drain plug.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:03 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 531 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by No Tyme
Yes, The dealer told me last year about the issue... I did change oil in my 88TC when I inserted my oil temp sender unit in the other hole that you spoke of... So that's out, it is being used. Most likely my fault... I have a habbit of not knowing my own strength.
I do like the valve thing but them I would be loosing the magnetic pickup on the end of the oil drain plug... I just had the jugs bored so I am starting with a fresh upper end.

Decisions decisions... I would go Baker but its just not worth the price of $434.78 IMHO.
Actually it is worth it.The bike will run about 15-20 degrees cooler.go to the baker website and read the description,it;s a little more than just an extra qt.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:03 AM
Brooklyn Devil Dog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasn't aware there was a failure trend with the oil pan plug threads
There isn't.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:11 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

I dont think a thread insert would be a good repair for this because of the O-ring seal surface.
If it was mine,I would remove the pan.Find an automotive drain plug and machine the pan for the plug.Probly a plug with a flat surface with gasket and machine a spotface on the pan for sealing and an oversize thread.
I could do the work myself but think if someone had to pay,it would still be cheaper than a new pan.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:19 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by nickel dime
Working in the aerospace industry, helicoils are a way of life.
A lot of people think Helicoils are junk.
I wonder if these same people fly in aircraft!

I machine a lot of aluminum aircraft parts that get Helicoils installed in them.Dont think Helicoils would be used if they were no good!

Old 02-16-2012, 08:20 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 793 Likes on 604 Posts

Engine or transmission plug?
When you have a moment and oil is drained..please review the interior threading of plug hole..Reason: many times there is much more depth of virgin thread available and a longer plug from NAPA or any autopart can resolve your problem.
There are several self taping drain plugs in the oil section of autoparts. They look like a normal drain plug but have a tapered start.One time oversize should work well with the same thread and pitch(some have a magnet) and you would not torque to spec..hand tight and quarter turn(use some white liquid thread sealant)..
for more time and money on a professional repair a time sert might be a consideration since they are designed for oil drain plug repairs.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:39 AM
petewerner
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrPlastic
The best plan of action and least expensive is to get a Helicoil repair kit. You tap out the old threads insert the Helicoil and reinsert your original plug!
Teflon tape is cheapest... I don't suggest either. I'm thinking the Baker +1 pan is a great idea and I have been considering one of those even though I don't have a plug thread that is damaged as described above.

Quick Reply: drain plug loose, dealer recomends new pan