Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drain plug loose, dealer recomends new pan

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:37 AM
No Tyme
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default drain plug loose, dealer recomends new pan

I have an 06 FLH and I have the dreaded loose drain plug, and the dealer recommends a new pan. I am asking if anyone knows of an aftermarket pan that is available for the 88TC that addresses the threaded cast drain hole? It certanily is an area that needs to be addressed and instead of installing another "stock" pan, maybe someone has engineered a better one...

Old 02-15-2012, 10:48 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 71,144 Likes on 21,567 Posts

Have you thought about taking off your old one and retapping it and using a bigger plug?
That would save you some $$$, but would be time consuming...

Old 02-15-2012, 10:56 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

if it is too loose for teflon tape t take up the slack,

you go to any auto parts store they will have a self tapping repair kit.

they can be repaired in place, although you must be slow and careful to ensure that the cut aluminum is with drawn- usually by coating in grease

or if you like spending money on a good cause, the baker drivetrain replacement oil pan has a larger oil capacity and solves the drain plug problem you have.

- a steel plug into aluminum, go easy on the torque- the lower end of the range with a new seal will work to seal the oil, it's not under pressure unless a vent is blocked

overtightening will wear the threads, as will cross threading.
when possible start a bolt by hand, turn counter clockwise until you feel a "click", the threads are now lined up and you can tighten as normal

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 02-15-2012 at 11:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Pix (10-11-2020)
Old 02-15-2012, 10:58 AM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

was it caused by overtightening the plug? I always use a torque wrench for everything, after stripping a bolt on my derby cover.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:04 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I would suggest trying to find an oversized drain plug and retap it. If I had to replace it I would look for an oversized pan to help with cooling.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:12 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Wasn't aware there was a failure trend with the oil pan plug threads

Old 02-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look for a workshop that can weld aluminum. You can plug and put a new threaded piece or refill the old thread to machine it again. There are many solutions but I would avoid the helicoil that takes 0.050" all around the seal surface.
Castolin Eutectic made an aluminum brasing-soldering compound that could be used in a non oxidising flame; this stuff was fantastic and referenced "21F".
Check here for the equivalent:
http://www.castolin.com/taxonomy/term/28178

Old 02-15-2012, 11:31 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

The best plan of action and least expensive is to get a Helicoil repair kit. You tap out the old threads insert the Helicoil and reinsert your original plug!

The following users liked this post:
jammerx (10-11-2020)
Old 02-15-2012, 11:33 AM
No Tyme
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default thanks for the many replies

I did give it some thought, but don't like the idea that my oil is being held in my a helicoil. I would not have much piece of mind.

As for aftermarket I can only find Baker and I can't see the money for the additional 1 quart of oil. It's just another cast aluminum pan... Although the additional oil may help on a hot day.

I knew this was coming as I was told a year or so ago that the plug was loose and to expect an issue in the future. Looks like the future is here.

I am leaning towards a new pan and trying to repair the original. Hope I don't need it.

Thanks.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:04 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

reading between the lines:

is this from dealer oil changes ?

are they cranking the plug too tight and busting up your oil pan ?

A properly installed helicoil or other solution will work, there is no pressure on the plug- and it is not holding anything together.

a welding solution may not work, aluminum is somewhat porous and oil will be all through the aluminum in the pan

#2 I wonder if it would be possible to get a good drain using the unused temp sensor bung, next to the oil pan drain.

it either case you could use the "valve type" drain plugs and never have this again.

i use the fram version on my truck the past 11 years and the brass version on a bunch of my old cars- open the valve, the oil comes out, no stress or strain on the pan threads.

mike

Quick Reply: drain plug loose, dealer recomends new pan