Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auxiliary wire harnes to keep on w/brights

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Black_Hog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed the new wire kit. I removed the outer fairing and found the wiring harness tucked deep inside the inner fairing. The instructions make it look like it's right out front.

I like using the wire kit because I didn't want to modify anything, incase I wanted to change it back someday. I can't really think of changing back but just incase.

On my 1986 FL I had the spotlights work on the low and high beams. I didn't use it much but in the mountains of North Carolina it was nice after the sun went down.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:08 PM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Heritage

Originally Posted by JonW
Are these available for a Heritage?
Jon- what I did was separate the passing lamp wiring from the main headlight Hi/Lo switch and run that wire to a switch (either a switch capable of handling the wattage/amperage your lights will draw, or see step 3 below) purchased from auto parts store. Connections went like this:
1- disconnect battery cable;
2- drill hole in chrome upper tree cover on backside (facing you in a position convenient to operate) of left fork (where you can reach up inside from bottom for tightening the switch retaining nut);
3- run wire from batt or fuse panel to one side of switch (if your switch is not capable of handling the wattage/amperage, install a relay system into the circuit at this point);
4- run passing lamp wire to other side of switch;
5- connect wiring to switch (still outside switch location) and reconnect battery; then turn on switch to made certain everything is functional;
6- disconnect batt cables again;
7- push wired switch assembly up into the hole you have drilled and tighten retaining nuts against the housing securing the switch; and
8- reconnect batt cables; test again.

WARNING: Employ these directions wholly at your own risk. Messing with Harley-Davidson electrical circuits could result in injury or death.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Should've ran the "free" connection while you had fairing off & returned the unneeded harness for a rebate...
Yup, that's what I did... works great.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:26 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

They definately make it for at least two models because when I asked the parts guy if they had any. He went to the back wall behhind the counter where they were hanging and he had to read the boxes to get the one for my bike.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:36 AM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JonW
Are these available for a Heritage?
Apparently they do if your bike is Heritage Softail.
Part #69200442

Old 02-20-2012, 08:44 AM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did this mod a long time ago when I installed the LED headlight and Aux lights...it was well worth the trouble. Would have liked to have a cable, but I'm not going back and redoing it now. I have Wild 1 Chubby bars and getting the fairing cap back on is a major PITA!

The harness is a good investment if you have not done it the other way!

Steve

Old 02-20-2012, 08:49 AM
TaterSaladonaRoadking
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should have thought of the harness! I would have never guessed people would pay $30 for a 5 min mode. DOH

Old 07-13-2016, 01:42 PM
SnoRider
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

I think that harness is for fairing models

Old 07-13-2016, 01:43 PM
SnoRider
Road Warrior
Old 07-13-2016, 01:48 PM
SnoRider
Road Warrior

What that harness does is wire the passing lamps into the fender tip lamp which places them on the Accessories fuse. The accessories fuse carries a whole bunch of other crap too like rear lighting and horn and what not. To do that without the harness you can just find the fender tip lamp connector (has red cap on it in nacelle (flhrc)) and plug into it.

Another way is to take yellow from passing lamp and cut it from lighting harness and bring over to accessory toggle switch orange and red and splice in....in this situation, at least what my manual says is then you are on the P&A fuse...

Both go through the ignition switch.....

Last edited by SnoRider; 07-13-2016 at 01:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Auxiliary wire harnes to keep on w/brights