Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another set of Ohlins in my future

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 06:30 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Another set of Ohlins in my future

Stopped by to check in on Howard tonight, he is doing okay from his crash, just a little grumpier. Had to encourage him to use his arm a bit or he will be permanently messed up, will buy him a jogging suit and sneakers. We went into his laboratory, he is like a frikken mad professor sometimes, coming up with new stuff machining stuff and trying it out, half expect to find a Delorean in the driveway one day. Thinking I am going to get a new set of 3-4's for the new Ultra, have the HD premium on there now and scraping boards bad (in Fla this is hard to do), better than the HD stockers but nothing like my 3-3's on my Dyna or the 6's I tested on my last Ultra. He is also working the front end solution so stay tuned, I keep bugging him about this. The stuff he has going on for the front end looks great, really great, I rode his Dyna with the cartridge front end and 6's on the rear, if its half as good as that everyone will be happy, real happy. Hope he has that front end done by Apr 5 when I head west on my Az trip so I can put them to the test in Salt River Canyon and some other hairy rides we have planned in the southern Rockies.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:52 PM
2008FLHR
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks for the update on Howard. I joined the forums yesterday after a lot of reading on Howard's work. I hope he recovers quickly...not sure there is much to help the "grumpy" part, but willing.

I have a degenerative disc disease and plan to discuss Ohlins with Howard soon for my 08 Road King; but get to see the doctor tomorrow for an update a recent flare-up with lower back that is keeping me from riding.

Get well Howard! And thanks for all you are doing for the riding community.

Matt

Old 02-20-2012, 06:55 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Have broken back myself, 1 1/2 year not being able to walk more than 100 steps and excruciating pain all the time, thank god for Cleveland Clinic and Dr Zimmerman, miracle.

Originally Posted by 2008FLHR
Thanks for the update on Howard. I joined the forums yesterday after a lot of reading on Howard's work. I hope he recovers quickly...not sure there is much to help the "grumpy" part, but willing.

I have a degenerative disc disease and plan to discuss Ohlins with Howard soon for my 08 Road King; but get to see the doctor tomorrow for an update a recent flare-up with lower back that is keeping me from riding.

Get well Howard! And thanks for all you are doing for the riding community.

Matt

Old 02-20-2012, 06:59 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Need to get in touch with him myself, but hate to do so on weekends. He earns his downtime too, particularly while healing.

Fabrik8r tweaked the Ricors for me but it's been awhile getting the front end back together, and that needed done prior to installing the 3/3's. Mostly waiting on the dealer to get the new fork tube in.

I'm heading west this year too. 3 weeks to myself and whatever feels good. Last time I did that was pre-kids.

Enjoy.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:13 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Have broken back myself, 1 1/2 year not being able to walk more than 100 steps and excruciating pain all the time, thank god for Cleveland Clinic and Dr Zimmerman, miracle.
hey how come you are going with the 3-4's instead of the 6's again? only asking cause I am wanting to get a set of 6's and if you broke your back and feel good with the 3-4's maybe I dont need the 6's for my streetglide. I tried filling out the order form today but got confused when it asked for the length as I thought the 6's were a standard length.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:22 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

I like my Ultra to sit high as I ride hard sometimes, the 6's are better than the 3- 3 or any other shock made but I do have a budget. Call Howard the guy is available 24 7, if he don't answer he will get back to you within minutes. I seen the dude being pushed out of emergency room all taped and casted up by some big nurse dude on the phone talking some guy through set up of his shocks on a Sunday, you wont be disturbing him, he lives for this stuff.

Originally Posted by hog95023
hey how come you are going with the 3-4's instead of the 6's again? only asking cause I am wanting to get a set of 6's and if you broke your back and feel good with the 3-4's maybe I dont need the 6's for my streetglide. I tried filling out the order form today but got confused when it asked for the length as I thought the 6's were a standard length.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:30 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

I like my Ultra to sit high as I ride hard sometimes, the 6's are better than the 3- 3 or any other shock made but I do have a budget. Call Howard the guy is available 24 7, if he don't answer he will get back to you within minutes. I seen the dude being pushed out of emergency room all taped and casted up by some big nurse dude on the phone talking some guy through set up of his shocks on a Sunday, you wont be disturbing him, he lives for this stuff.
I talked to him already and he told me to fill out the form.and print it out. I will take a look at it again tomorrow

Old 02-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Maybe I'll do that. I haven't even wanted to email him 'cause he'd mentioned it was a problem typing, but that was a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the info. Will try to get this setup this weekend.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:32 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

You'll like the #3-4s. On my bike, the first thing to scrape was the highway pegs......IOW, you start dragging stuff when you're out of tire. Be aware that with the added ride height you may have clearance issues with the rear axle nut(s) and your mufflers.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:32 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

Glad Howard is doing better , hoping for a full recovery for him

Quick Reply: Another set of Ohlins in my future