Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you holdout for ABS

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 04:17 AM
Dynamohm
Road Warrior
Received 734 Likes on 319 Posts
Default Would you holdout for ABS

I'm thinking of replacing my 2003 RKC with a Street Glide would prefer a 09 with abs option due to lower price and no cats. I'v seen a few at the local dealer lately they wan't 17-18k can't afford that yet. I work for a Toyota dealership that just took a 2011 in on trade, My employee price is 14.5K only problem is 96 motor which I'm fine with but no ABS. I would really like ABS most of my riding is highway 25 miles each way back and forth from work.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:26 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Have ABS on my Ultra a good thing but my FXR4 rides just fine without it .. If think have a good buy go for it.. Chances are when one trades their motorcycle in for a car didn't ride it much anyway ..

Old 02-21-2012, 04:27 AM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

ABS was on my "must have" list and I did not budge. Color and 96 vs. 103 were options I was flexible on.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:57 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My personal experience as a professional motor officer is that it saved my life once, and it has prevented potentially serious situations from getting out of hand on other occasions. Admittedly riding in LE functions we ride in a more aggressive riding style pushing the bike to 99% of its capabilities quite often. But the time which ABS saved my life was one which could be encountered by any rider. Readers Digest: Me- 85 mph (Pacing/pursuit), car pulling onto interstate 25 mph. Nowhere to go. Nothing to do but grab evry bit of my brakes, keep it up, hang on and SCREAM! By the grace of God and HD ABS I slowed enough to avoid hitting the car. Don't know how that bike stayed up, 'cause it wanted to swap ends, go down, do everything but stay up and go straight. Without ABS I would have died. No doubt in my mind. None whatsoever.

If you have a choice to get a bike with ABS, GET IT. with luck you will never need it. It only takes one time.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:00 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

P.S.: Don't even ask what happend to that sad sorry son of a bitch that pulled out on me. needless to say, the guy I was pursuing went on his way, and dipsh-- in the minivan, well, it wasn't a field execution, but it was an *** reaming for the ages!

Old 02-21-2012, 05:35 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Ah the minivan....am I the only one or has anyone else found them typical and to be avoided. What is it with people who drive them?

Old 02-21-2012, 05:45 AM
plutnicki
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Only you can decide for sure, but IMHO, but if the bike is a cream puff in every other way, i wouldnt let the ABS stop me... In fact, i bought a brand new 2012 and had the choice, and did not get the ABS.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:52 AM
Honey-Badger
Extreme HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 256 Posts

Well, I am not a fan of ABS. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Just picked up an 09 without ABS. Breaking on the SG is butter compared to the single disc I am use to. Good luck.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:52 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Last year I had a close call that could have ended my riding forever. Up until that point, I considered ABS to be an expensive and unnecessary option. I don't think that way anymore. My '11 Ultra Classic has it, and so will every bike I buy from now on. It only takes one close call to change your mind and pay for the option!

Old 02-21-2012, 06:05 AM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dynamohm
I'm thinking of replacing my 2003 RKC with a Street Glide would prefer a 09 with abs option due to lower price and no cats. I'v seen a few at the local dealer lately they wan't 17-18k can't afford that yet. I work for a Toyota dealership that just took a 2011 in on trade, My employee price is 14.5K only problem is 96 motor which I'm fine with but no ABS. I would really like ABS most of my riding is highway 25 miles each way back and forth from work.
You will get answers from two sides: gotta have it, and don't like it!
Me! Gotta have it. As ABS is not a FASHION that for people to like, or dislike it. ABS is a wonderful equipment that's designed to save lives, not to make the bike look better, or uglier.
It is a no brainer!

Quick Reply: Would you holdout for ABS