Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inexpensive Mod Suggestions Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 02:25 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba11
My most inexpensive mod was to cover the stock ugly galvanized shifter linkage. Went to the Home Depot and bought a piece of chrome covered, brass 1/4" toilet water inlet pipe. Cut to fit between the locking bolts. Put in a dab of silicon when sliding it over the linkage rod, and eureka! instant chrome linkage. I think it cost me like $1.98.
WHAT? No Willie G Skull????? Just kidding, wished I had thought of this.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:25 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Best first mod on your '01 would be to change the rear brake pedal to the newer style extended one. Floorboard extenders would be the next thing. Those 2 make a HUGE difference in comfort.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

Personally, I would focus on mods that make the bike more comfortable, rather than ones done just for looks. If your being thrifty, why waste money on mods done just for looks?
Things like floorboard extenders, extended shift and brake arms, etc. Focusing on comfort
brings me the best return on my investment. After comfort would come performance, then
appearance mods would be last. my 2 cents

Old 03-03-2012, 10:27 AM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop
Personally, I would focus on mods that make the bike more comfortable, rather than ones done just for looks. If your being thrifty, why waste money on mods done just for looks?
Things like floorboard extenders, extended shift and brake arms, etc. Focusing on comfort
brings me the best return on my investment. After comfort would come performance, then
appearance mods would be last. my 2 cents
I couldn't agree more
Comfort is first then after the comfort is addressed then go for looks
get the suspension and feel (comfort) addressed first then go from there
One mod is the Spot light wiring
allows you to use your spots when high beam is on

Another mod would be to change your front fork fluid out to something a bit heavier...being a King I don't believe I would go heavier then 10wt
Also there are allot of post on rear shocks
an inexpensive mod on changing the rear shock fluids until you can get the funds together for a real set of shocks
if you choose to take the front forks apart get the dampener valves to help control the fluid on compression of the forks Ricor or racetec or HD
Note if you go ricor there is a good articule out on modifing the ricors which sounds like he may be on the right track...

paul

Old 03-03-2012, 10:58 AM
sedouglas
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've found that my taste in mods is quite expensive. On the lower end though, I just got a kit to remove the rear grab bar, plate, and tail lamp into one that fits in the hole for the tail light (cycle visions; $249 on clearance at Eastern Performance). It cleans up the rear fender a lot. I love the look. I also got the heel shift eliminator $25. I never used it anyway.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Motor City Street Glide
Cruiser

The very first accessory that you should buy is a service manual for you model and year of motorcycle.

This purchase will save you a great deal of money, as you learn to service and customize your ride yourself.

Dealership technician prices can be as much as @100 per hour.

For example for my tech to do a handle bar install, I would be charged 7 hours @ $90,
when you tack on the actual $400 bars and tax, thats $1092 just for handle bars.

But with my trusty service manual, and the help of the fine folks from this form.

there is almost no service/custom that I cant perform myself.

Lil food for thought.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Shylock67
6th Gear
Default Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. Great advice. Will refocus on performance upgrades and comfort first. the chrome do-dads will have to wait.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:20 AM
dstrat1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy alot of gas, and ride it.....and I agree with performance and comfort though
, intiminators and race tech springs in the front forks, c and c seat, se compensator, ohlins shocks, better windshield, floor board extenders, modulating headlight, flashing brakelight, etc.......

Last edited by dstrat1; 03-04-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Shylock67
6th Gear
Question

Do any of you suggest that I replace the swing arm bushings or install a stabilizer? I've read up on the whole wobble thing (probably too much), and was wondering if I should do something like this in advance.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:37 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here is an almost free MOD/tip . get a good air gage and set your tire presure , check it often . your bike will handle better and your tires will last twice as long

Quick Reply: Inexpensive Mod Suggestions Wanted