Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riders Edge Skilled Rider course

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:41 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riders Edge Skilled Rider course

OK, I'm thinking of taking the Riders Edge skilled rider course which would mean having to use my big ol' Ultra for the training. But, the thought of having to take those darn figure 8's and tight turns at slow speed are freaking me out and I'm wondering whether it's worth it or not. I'd be so pi$$ed off if I dropped my baby during some of the potential maneuvers.

I'm not a newbie, been riding 15K per year for the last 6 years with no problems or spills. But, that little voice in the back of my head keeps saying: "you're going to drop it, fool"!

So, my question for those who have taken the course with a touring bike, what am I up against? Is it an impossible task, or do cooler heads prevail and it works out? I'd be interested in your experiences with the course, and observations of other riders who were in your classes.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by brgtr3; 03-08-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:23 PM
fxdxruss
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello

Was not hard, would be easier on small bike but, thats not what I ride. If you keep focusing on telling yourself your gunna drop it, you will. Rent their bike so you can spend more time on the lessons, you can then practice what you learned on your bike when you ride the streets.

Russ

Old 03-08-2012, 10:27 PM
zion
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't psych yourself out. It's easier than you think. Law Enforcement does much tighter courses than offered in a civilian course and you could probably do half of the entry level LE courses and not realize it.

What you can do, however to give yourself some added peace of mind, is this. Go to the Fire Dept. in your area and see if you can get some old fire hose. You need roughly 4-6 pieces about 1 foot each. You need 1" to 2" hose. You split these lengthwise and you have instant "bumpers" for you engine guards and bag guards. Just wrap them around the bars and duct tape them. If you drop the bike you save the guards from scratches and possible dings.

Take the course. Your voice in the back of your head is usually right.

Have fun.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:31 PM
CHILLLS
Road Captain

i took the coarse a few months ago & thought it was nothing more than the beginner bike coarse but with your own bike. now on the other hand you will be able to take the coarse on your bike....

Old 03-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Last year was my first year on a Harley. Took the Riders Edge SRC, and had no problem. Was a great course, highly recommend it. Nobody dropped their bike.

Do it!

Old 03-08-2012, 10:34 PM
profp
Cruiser

You can get thick wall plastic tubing at Home Depot to accomplish the same thing... remove the saddle bags and front fairings, then tape the hose or tubing around your guards. It gives you good exercise at lifting the bike if you do lay it down and shows you how well designed those guards are

The real advantage of the course is building enough confidence for you to do some low speed maneuvering on your own in parking lots and such. Emergency maneuvers like stopping and quick course changes are worthwhile too.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:38 PM
zion
Tourer

Originally Posted by profp
You can get thick wall plastic tubing at Home Depot to accomplish the same thing...
Good call on the tubing.... Though I've found, other than cutting it, the hose is easier to mold to the guards....plus it's free.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:46 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Had the same feelings as you before going to the course.

The first thing they did was put one of the women instructors on her big dresser to run the course. She was about 5'5'' and feet only touched the ground on tip toes. She made it look so easy, that everybody got immediately relaxed.

We started off easy. Learned how to jump 2x6 lumber pieces in the road, make sharp curves, use your rear brake for stability, engaged the clutch friction zone, swerve to avoid obstacles, make smooth u-turns in tight circumstances. All in all a great time.

You start out with easy stuff, and gradually gain confidence, technique, and skills.

They showed how a Harley lays over on their engine and bag guards with no damage. SHowed how one person can lift a Harley by themselves in a safe and effective manner.

Got into a bunch of stuff I did not expect, and came out a much better rider after taking the course.

Enjoy yourself, and who knows, you might find yourself some new riding buddies.

Gave us some local HD dealership discount coupons, and invited us over to the shop to meet the meet the mechanics.

Pretty good experience all around.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:06 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brgtr3
OK, I'm thinking of taking the Riders Edge skilled rider course which would mean having to use my big ol' Ultra for the training. But, the thought of having to take those darn figure 8's and tight turns at slow speed are freaking me out and I'm wondering whether it's worth it or not. I'd be so pi$$ed off if I dropped my baby during some of the potential maneuvers.

I'm not a newbie, been riding 15K per year for the last 6 years with no problems or spills. But, that little voice in the back of my head keeps saying: "you're going to drop it, fool"!

So, my question for those who have taken the course with a touring bike, what am I up against? Is it an impossible task, or do cooler heads prevail and it works out? I'd be interested in your experiences with the course, and observations of other riders who were in your classes.

Thanks in advance!
Don't quite understand that. You should be capable of performing those maneuvers on the bike you ride.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:47 AM
Ribitt
Tourer
Cool

I was an instructor and did both beginner and advance on my 07 Ultra with no problems peaple couldn't beleave you could do the figure 8 in the small box on one. Its fun. either **** or get off the pot. You learn more with your own motorcycle.

Quick Reply: Riders Edge Skilled Rider course