Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM 180mm Tire Install on a '07 or '08 - A How To

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 11:03 AM
131tman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by el rey
i wonder how much a cvo swingarm can be had for.
48613-07DH $720 without hardware/axle

Old 07-26-2012, 11:04 AM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
Default '09 Up Rear Fender

I just wish someone would produce the modified '09 up rear fender that some have used. I have the mechanical ability to do all the work, I just lack the cutting and welding tools for the project. And I really don't want to take my bike to someone to cut up a fender who has never done it before.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:56 AM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 131tman
48613-07DH $720 without hardware/axle
Thanks, I was looking at Ronnie's online microfiche but couldn't find part numbers.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:59 AM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member

Surdyke has it cheaper, and for some reason New Castle has it for $230, must be a typo.

https://shop.newcastlehd.com/part/48613-07dh

Old 07-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 48,325 Likes on 18,751 Posts

Great job ... reminds me of when I put a belt drive off an old FXBS on my 79 Superglide .... I did pretty much the same thing and it's still holding up well .... Necessity, the Mother of Invention!

Old 07-26-2012, 12:33 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member

I may go the CVO swing arm route.

I wonder, can I run an 18X5 Agitator rear with the CVO swing arm from 2008.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:56 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Q
I just wish someone would produce the modified '09 up rear fender that some have used. I have the mechanical ability to do all the work, I just lack the cutting and welding tools for the project. And I really don't want to take my bike to someone to cut up a fender who has never done it before.
there's a guy on ebay that sells a wide swing arm and includes a fender in the kit.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:30 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

why could you not use a 07 cvo fender from the cvo road king, one of the 17x4.5 road winder wheels from the cvo line up, the 170 tire and the 1 inch pulley and belt. seems like this would be a direct bolt on, without using the 09 wheels. I realize the OP wanted to use the stock wheels and tires from an 09, but the route i described above looks bolt on enough or do you have to replace the swing arm as well? just curious. The swingarms do not appear to be that different. if the swing arm is wider how much wider is it?

Old 07-26-2012, 06:31 PM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
there's a guy on ebay that sells a wide swing arm and includes a fender in the kit.
The problem with that kit is the same as with all the after market wide tire fenders (FBI, Klock Werks) I've found. They all look cheap. Look at the modifide '09 and up fenders in this thread. They look great! They allow for the use of the Street Glide or CVO fascia‎. And more importantly, they look like the belong on the bike. These guys did some great work, I just wish someone would market them or I could find someone local with the talent to cut up a fender for me. I guess my search will continue

Old 07-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Recycled
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the praise guys!
CVO swingarms are very difficult to find and still don't have the inside width needed to mount an '09 up wheel/tire assembly. Then there are tire decisions that aren't as easy to make going the CVO route. I decided against it, figuring I would benefit more using the '09up gear.
After taking a good look at how a CVO swingarm is manufactured, it became obvious how I could go as wide as the '09 up swingarm by rebuilding my stock '07 swingarm. Dan's comparison pic illustrates it clearly. It is nessesary to go as wide as an '09 up in order to get the entire assembly to fit. The cushdrive is needed to use the new wheels, thus extra width is needed.
I think if someone wasn't equipt to do this, there are probably several shops local to them that will. Direct your local professional welder to this thread. One look at how it is done and they should be able to quote a price. Buy an '09 up axle first so they get the width right. You can even buy a swingarm off Ebay to modify, so you can continue to ride your bike. I rode my bike with a mocked up rear fender for a few weeks until I got around to building the new one. Other than the fender which requires a pro welder to custom fit it, everything else is just common sense and precise measuring. Attention to detail will ensure that the bike maintains correct alignment and tracks properly.
I gained new tires/wheels/cushdrive with improved gearing and the 180 rear. I also added a Progressive link because I got a great deal on it and figured it couldn't hurt. The bike tracks beautifully at all speeds. It has I'm guessing 5000 miles on the mod now and the bike is a joy to ride.

Last edited by Recycled; 07-26-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Quick Reply: OEM 180mm Tire Install on a '07 or '08 - A How To