Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM 180mm Tire Install on a '07 or '08 - A How To

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 08:47 AM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

how much wider is the 07 CVO swingarm vs the stock 07 swing arm?

Old 07-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Recycled
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyroadglide
how much wider is the 07 CVO swingarm vs the stock 07 swing arm?
Inside dimension at rear axle:

'07 stock swingarm - 9 5/8"
'07 CVO swingarm - 10 3/16"

Old 07-27-2012, 11:51 AM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyroadglide
why could you not use a 07 cvo fender from the cvo road king, one of the 17x4.5 road winder wheels from the cvo line up, the 170 tire and the 1 inch pulley and belt. seems like this would be a direct bolt on
I do like that idea with the exception of the Road Winder wheels, they are way overpriced and not that good looking.

Originally Posted by Recycled
Thanks for the praise guys!
CVO swingarms are very difficult to find and still don't have the inside width needed to mount an '09 up wheel/tire assembly.
I found four CVO swing arms yesterday ranging anywhere from $230-$720.

Why a couple dealers have them so cheap I have no idea.

Explain why an 2009 and up wheel won't fit in the CVO swingarm from '07-'08.

I'm curious about this.

Maybe you could modify a stock swingarm like you did and sell your own kit?

Old 07-27-2012, 12:28 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by El Rey

I bought a stock 07 swingarm assembly, including brake caliper and axle, off a trike conversion, so that may be why.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Recycled
Road Captain

Originally Posted by El Rey
I do like that idea with the exception of the Road Winder wheels, they are way overpriced and not that good looking.

Explain why an 2009 and up wheel won't fit in the CVO swingarm from '07-'08.

I'm curious about this.

Maybe you could modify a stock swingarm like you did and sell your own kit?
Not saying you can't get one, just saying finding them listed on the internet and actually getting one could be two different things? If you follow through and try to get one it may prove expensive and difficult and likely on backorder or NLA. I gave up trying to get one, plus for me it was just easier to modify one.

Go buy an '09 axle and put it in an '07-'08 CVO swingarm. It will be much too long for the CVO swingarm. If you were to use the correct CVO axle you still would not be able to fit the '09 tire/wheel/cushdrive assembly in it. As well, aren't they different diameters?(not sure) The rotor has to remain centered in the caliper and the tire has to be reasonably centered in-between the rear swingarm/fork and not interfere with the frame. I was even able to remount my belt guard with my widened '07 swingarm.

I have too many other projects underway to consider building these for others but created this thread just to show how simple it really was.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:59 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I see, well, I'm good with what I have for now.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:16 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

you can get a CVO swingarm on line for $663.00. It ain't cheap but it is wider........ Comes with the inner spacers installed.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:49 PM
rht92
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, nice work on both. You're inspiring me to do it.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:27 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks for sharing and very interesting. I would like to have your talent to modify a 2010 fender to mount on my ol' 04... It will allow me to mount CVO fascia...
Maybe i will show our mods to my Indy to see if he could do it

Old 12-31-2012, 02:39 PM
Recycled
Road Captain

Originally Posted by pit1600
thanks for sharing and very interesting. I would like to have your talent to modify a 2010 fender to mount on my ol' 04... It will allow me to mount CVO fascia...
Maybe i will show our mods to my Indy to see if he could do it
I had originally expected to modify the 2010 fender to fit but didn't because it would have resulted in a very poor fit. Any water or road dirt would have been slung past the areas not covered by the 2010 fender.

The solution was to use the 2007 fender as it already fit the chassis. I did away with the original mounting hardware and simply welded captured nuts in the original mounting slots in the fender. This makes it wide enough to clear the 180mm tire with a good margin of clearance but by doing this the fender had to be cut lengthwise in half in order to mount it.

Then, the rear section of the 2007 fender was cut off at the center point of the struts. In one of the pics you can see the piece that was removed.

Now it was just a matter of making preliminary cuts in order to lay the section of 2010 fender to be grafted over the 2007 fender and tracing it.
Using a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade made it easy to cut the 2007 fender so the 2010 section would butt perfectly with it. A small strip of metal had to be butt welded in the center section of the front lower part of the fender because the 2010 fender was too short.

The metal HD uses for their fenders is a heavy enough gauge that it is a joy to weld, even when butt welding. A beginner can do it by applying short bursts, spot welding with a mig welder. Take your time and prevent overheating and distorting the metal by staggering the spot welds until the entire piece has been welded.
I use an assortment of hand held heavy copper implements as a backer to prevent burn through by absorbing excess heat while welding. This also allows you to fill any voids with new metal. The weld will not attach itself to the copper. I use nozzle dip on the copper.
Just weld, grind the high spots, add more weld where it needs it and before long you will get it right, a one piece hybrid fender that fits perfectly.

The only downside was, I could not sell my 2007 fender since it was sacraficed to create the new one.

Attached Thumbnails OEM 180mm Tire Install on a '07 or '08 - A How To-bike-fender-002.jpg   OEM 180mm Tire Install on a '07 or '08 - A How To-fender-fit-013.jpg   OEM 180mm Tire Install on a '07 or '08 - A How To-bike-fender-done.jpg   OEM 180mm Tire Install on a '07 or '08 - A How To-fender-mod-sz.jpg   OEM 180mm Tire Install on a '07 or '08 - A How To-fender-prep-for-paint.jpg  

Last edited by Recycled; 12-31-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Quick Reply: OEM 180mm Tire Install on a '07 or '08 - A How To