Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 FLH Handlebars - 14" Apes

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:41 PM
krs_sullivan
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 FLH Handlebars - 14" Apes

So my dealer wants around 2G's to do my handlebars. Is the install really that hard to do? I don't want to start and get stuck but also would rather use the 2,000 for my next project. I know I need new cables and want to run the wiring internally.

Anyone have any info/experience with this??

Thanks!

Old 03-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,412 Likes on 2,642 Posts

Originally Posted by krs_sullivan
So my dealer wants around 2G's to do my handlebars. Is the install really that hard to do? I don't want to start and get stuck but also would rather use the 2,000 for my next project. I know I need new cables and want to run the wiring internally.

Thanks!
Sounds high, they wanted $1200 for mine, but I dont have a fairing to deal with. I let them do it because I dont have the time, with kids, job, etc.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:51 PM
sedouglas
Cruiser

It really depends on what handlebars/cables are being put on. If they are just generic bars and standard cables, yeah, it's a little high. But if you are putting on Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars and Black Diamond cables, it's not too far off.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:05 PM
krs_sullivan
Stage III

I just want a standard 14" ape with stainless braided cables...nothing too crazy, that's why I was thinking about doing it myself.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:13 PM
sedouglas
Cruiser

I just did mine last weekend. If you are running wires internally, that's the toughest part, but standard bars are a snap (mine were a PITA). There are several threads that talk about how to handle the TBW sensor wire. If you have much mechanica sense it wont be too hard. Just read a lot of threads on what others have done. Here are two big tips from me. Get a HEAVY DUTY set of clip ring pliers for the clutch cable. The crappy ones from Autozone aren't anywhere near strong enogh to handle the job. Second. Invest in a vacuum pump ($35.00) at autozone. It makes bleeding the brakes a 5 minute job by yourself. If you have any other questions, post 'em up.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:38 PM
SteelCityRider
Tourer

Get the manual and read it before you start. If you take you time and pay attention and follow the book you can do it. Agree with the heavy duty clip pliers. It will take all day to do it. I put a little baby powder in the new bars, ran a 14ga wire, cover still on, and taped the new wires. Pulled right thru.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:44 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 643 Likes on 511 Posts

indy did 575 clutch cable one piece clamp and poly bushings wired internal on a ultra 400$total.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:45 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 643 Likes on 511 Posts

oops 400 parts 250 labor.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Tripp_HPjunkie
Road Master

Originally Posted by krs_sullivan

Thanks!
That's why they call them "stealerships".........I have about $450.00 and one day of my own labor in my setup (wild one apes,magnum no lube cables) 2gs that's insane.......

Old 03-13-2012, 09:53 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I get my back from the indy tomorrow and he put on some 14" Burly Brand bars with stock cables and internally wired. I'll find out the final cost tomorrow but I know it isn't gonna be near 1k much less 2k.

I was gonna do it myself but with work, school and my son being with my 5 days a week free time isn't abundant.

Quick Reply: 2011 FLH Handlebars - 14" Apes