Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X Pipe or True Duals?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 12:50 PM
ernster500
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default X Pipe or True Duals?

Well, I am on the hunt for an exhaust system for my new RGC. I think I've decided to stay with a two muffler system of some sort which rules out the 2 into 1 because I don't see the point of ghost pipes.

I've also ruled out simply gutting the stock head pipe so, I'm looking at either an x pipe like Fullsac's or Fuel Motos or a True Dual system like Dragos or V&H.

Is there a significant difference in performance between these set-ups?

When I had my TC88, it was always said that TDs were probably the worst performing pipes out there. I had the Rinehart TDs on my RK and didn't seem to have a problem keeping up with anyone else and the dyno seemed to be on par with the rest of my mods compared to everyone else. I mostly went with the TDs back then because of looks and sound but I'm wondering if I should consider the performance factor in my new scoot.

Now based on my hot rodding days, it would seem that the technology of an x-pipe might be a good idea, but, how does that translate to the new 103s? The x pipe will basically keep the stock look which I don't particularly mind.

Is it pretty much all about looks? Or is there a legitimate reason to pick one over the other?

What say you?

E

Old 03-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

The x and the fuel moto product are tit for tat. Both great products with a design to preserve your low end torque. You will be happy either way.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:57 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

IMO a good 2-1-2 pipe (Fulsac, FM jackpot, V & H pwr Duals etc) definitely produce more power but if the engine is staying Stage 1 its not that much that its going to make anything noticeable riding next to the same bike with TD. At Stage 1 its a lot more about sound and looks than top Hp/Tq. Now if you get into Stage 2 (cams) or 3 (cams, heads) the power difference becomes a lot more and for the $ spent on the engine your leaving power that you paid for behind without a good exhaust.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:47 PM
2010 ultra man
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default pipes

You can research this till your dead. Just find a sound and look that you like and bolt it on. As long as you like it when your riding your Harley nothing else matters.This is just my opinion, ride safe.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:09 PM
ernster500
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 ultra man
You can research this till your dead. Just find a sound and look that you like and bolt it on. As long as you like it when your riding your Harley nothing else matters.This is just my opinion, ride safe.
Yeah, I'm kinda getting that feeling!

Old 03-23-2012, 02:12 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Sound comes first and foremost with me. Just like Xaran said you aren't going to notice the diff between headpipes with just a Stage I. I contacted V&H before making the decision on getting Rush True Duals and the tech fellow said that there might be 3-4 torque loss by going with TD's. So I'm hoping it'll sound great. If I stuck with the stock configuration and got 104 after a TTS dyno tune and now I'm only going to get 101, big deal.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:52 PM
JJHOG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the weather warming up wait until Bike Nights startup in your area. Go and look, listen and ask questions and then go with your gut feeling. In the end it's all about what you feel about your bike. Me, I like torque and I've got good sounding pipes IMHO.