General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stepped vs non-stepped header

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 11:32 AM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stepped vs non-stepped header

New here and wasn't sure what section to post this in, but this seems like as good a place as any. In planning the purchase of a new Road King(hopefully) I've been doing a bit of research concerning exhaust. The bike will most likely never be anything more than a stock 96 incher with air cleaner/exhaust upgrades, and the appropriate fuel injection adjustments(PCV, etc). I'm not chasing huge numbers, or racing, or trying to prove anything to anyone. I just want the bike to run as well as it should. I know 2-1 pipes will give the best performance, but am not crazy about the look on a bagger. That being said, I would be interested in some sort of dual setup, whether it be "true" or with a crossover. Everything I've read says you lose low end with true duals, and every one with true duals says it's minimal. The way I see it, if I'm gonna spend 800 bucks on a "performance" exhaust, I shouldn't have to settle for losing anything, minimal or otherwise. Which is why I think the dual setup with crossover seems like the best of both worlds, example Bub 7TDX, Jackpot 2-1-2, V&H Power Duals. The next issue is the design of the header pipe itself. Some offer a stepped design others don't, and I am a little unclear about advantages/disadvantages. If I understand it right, the stepped design may actually cause problems, due to the exhaust gases losing velocity as the pipe diameter increases. Marketing suggests this offers better scavenging, but I'm not sure, what to believe. The main objective for me when it comes to performance is losing nothing on the low end, hopefully gaining across the board, while having a nice broad torque curve with a large area under the curve. Not so concerned with peak numbers. Sorry this got so long-winded, just have a lot of thoughts in my head, and trying to get it all out, so maybe some of you with some knowledge can offer some input/feedback. Thanks. Oh yeah, what do like for an air cleaner?

Old 08-15-2010, 12:14 PM
yankeeflyer72
Road Captain

Originally Posted by skully1200
Some offer a stepped design.

Call me a Newb, but what the Heck is a "Stepped Header". I`ve never heard that term before....
I`ve got steps on my deck, had "Tuned" headers on L88-427 (That ***** Hauled-***), a "Built" 350 hp 327, and several other engines, but none of them were "Stepped".

Enlighten me please....

Old 08-15-2010, 12:37 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Your stock 2-2 pipes use a crossover tube between the two pipes to create the necessary amount of "back-pressure" required to prevent the street performance loss that would occur with straight (drag) pipes.

A "Step Tuned Header Pipe" allows you to eliminate the cross-over pipe, without a loss of performance, by slightly stepping down the inside diameter of the header pipe outside of the manifold.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:54 PM
ROMPUS
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rinehart exhaust,Ness Bigsucker stage one air cleaner,can't go wrong.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:31 PM
mentor70
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you plan on doing nothing with the engine internally, just keep to a 1 3/4 head pipe.

that will keep things simple.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:30 PM
yankeeflyer72
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cHarley
A "Step Tuned Header Pipe" allows you to eliminate the cross-over pipe, without a loss of performance, by slightly stepping down the inside diameter of the header pipe outside of the manifold.

Thanks cHarley, just goes to show you can learn somethin' new everyday. I had never heard that term.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:15 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

OK,,, I an on my second Jim and coke......

Din't see WTH bike Ur riding.....

Standard answer,,, 2-1 will alway perform better......

True dual usually hurt low-end...

Stepped headers usually needed for BB kits.

So on a 96'er,,, just put some 2-1's or system with Cross-over and U'll be good to go...

With a Stg1, A/c, some kind of F/M system and some decent low end bolt in cams,, U''ll end up with a really good ride with a lot more power than the stocker...After she's dyno tuned...

Old 08-15-2010, 05:13 PM
skully1200
Road Master

Originally Posted by cHarley
Your stock 2-2 pipes use a crossover tube between the two pipes to create the necessary amount of "back-pressure" required to prevent the street performance loss that would occur with straight (drag) pipes.

V
Actually the pipes I'm talking about get bigger as they get farther from the engine such as Bub 7s and Rinehart true duals. Does anyone have first hand knowledge to compare pros and cons of stepped vs straight diameter. Would a stepped header designed to let a big bore motor breathe well be detrimental to a stock 96er?

Old 08-15-2010, 07:02 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by skully1200
V
Actually the pipes I'm talking about get bigger as they get farther from the engine such as Bub 7s and Rinehart true duals. Does anyone have first hand knowledge to compare pros and cons of stepped vs straight diameter. Would a stepped header designed to let a big bore motor breathe well be detrimental to a stock 96er?
Whether or not the HEADER is stepped, has nothing to do with the pipe getting larger towards the end. The STEP occurs up high in the head pipe.

Straight pipes, also known as drag pipes, only perform well at Wide Open Throttle (WOT), hence the name Drag (strip) Pipe. If you spend most of your riding time on the street, you probably don't want pipes that only perform well at WOT.

Stepped Header pipes are an excellent choice for a stock or modified motor where a 2-2 system without a crossover pipe is desired.