Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much weight on luggage rack?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 02:03 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Postscript

I tried out the bag on the passenger seat. Because I have the TallBoy seat that moves me back 2 inches, the passenger seat is correspondingly shorter. So when I mount the bag on the passenger seat, it pushes me forward. I can't sit all the way into the seat. So I have no choice but to mount it to the luggage rack.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:48 PM
TennesseeEG
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Packed tourmaster luggage weighed 50 pounds..luggage rack handled it just fine. I also have the 4 point detachable docking hardware. Load it up and head out...

Old 03-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Macker
Tourer

I've been using my Kury Ultra tour bag with the HD detachable two up rack and backrest as shown in HD's pic. I also have a small Corbin pillion so I've never put anything on that. Never weighed it but I load my bag pretty full as I take a few long distance trips each year. Never had any problems with weight or anything in the 5 years I've been using it.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Open Road
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
I have the basic quick release luggage rack on my bike. I think the instructions said the weight limit is 10 pounds which I'm assuming is typical Harley CYA over protectiveness. I am about to go on a weeklong trip. My luggage is the Kurayakin Full Dresser, which is essentially the size a camping backpack:

I'm figuring that packed with a week's worth of stuff for my trip in April, it will probably be 25-30 pounds. I'd prefer to put it on the luggage rack rather than the passenger seat (my wife isn't going this time), but I'd like some reassurance that the luggage rack won't buckle under that kind of weight. Experience anyone?

Do you mean this "basic quick release luggage rack"?

Double click the photo to enlarge it.

On the serious side....this luggage rack is up in the solo position. If you're talking about a luggage rack behind the passenger seat, I'd suggest putting the pack in your passenger seat. The further back (behind the rear axel) and the higher up you go, the more it dramatically affects your handling. Thats the main reason so many are going to the solo position for the tour packs.....just handles much easier.

Attached Thumbnails How much weight on luggage rack?-img_0435.jpg  

Last edited by Open Road; 03-31-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:39 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

I just got back from my tour and the Kuryakin Full Dresser Bag on the luggage rack worked just great (as you can see in my new signature pic). It was probably 35 pounds or so (with the FF helmet in the top section). It was rock solid on the rack and very easy to put on and take off.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:43 AM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
I just got back from my tour and the Kuryakin Full Dresser Bag on the luggage rack worked just great (as you can see in my new signature pic). It was probably 35 pounds or so (with the FF helmet in the top section). It was rock solid on the rack and very easy to put on and take off.
Nice! HD luggage racks can easily handle way more than they're rated for.