Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what's the deal with larger front wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 06:03 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben E
I see lots of guysdoing 21 inch front wheels. They look awesome. Is this part of a style or tradition or just preference? Does it impact handling? Just a curious newbie...thanks.
A larger front wheel increases trail which provides more steering stability but also reduces steering quickness and agility and increases steering effort.

Most off road and adventure bikes use larger 19 and 21 inch front wheels because the increased self correcting to center nature of large amounts of trail is desirable and raking the forks excessively to accomplish this impairs suspension performance. On the other hand bikes where quick steering and agility is desirable use 17 inch wheels. Other than that the only reason to fiddle with wheel diameter is styling.

Last edited by fat_tony; 04-03-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:02 PM
ramnj
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce00
Well I guess Iam in the minority here

Iam 58 and I really like the look,
but I can't afford aftermarket wheels, much less 21's..........
I'm in that minority with you. I'm 54 and really like the look, and the stretched bags, and the rear stretched fenders, and the powder coating, and it never ends.

It helps not having a wife and the kids are gone.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Ben E
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fat Tony,

thanks for the science.

OP

Old 05-15-2012, 03:45 PM
tdogg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
Sweet!. That tour pak looks awesome . Is is a shaved version? There a sub in it?
We call those tour packs ''Pizza Boxes"" for obvious reasons.... No sub in there just a humidor for my cigars. I like a smoke when I reach my destination.
I dig your bike too bruh. Very clean!!!

Attached Thumbnails what's the deal with larger front wheels?-harley.jpg  
Old 05-15-2012, 03:52 PM
tdogg
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ramnj
Me too!
Man your fender and extended bags look very cool. I wanna do that too but haven't
figured which company to go with. I started a thread about extended bags and currently researching pros/cons of doing it. Nice Bike bruh!!!

Attached Thumbnails what's the deal with larger front wheels?-harley.jpg  
Old 05-15-2012, 04:40 PM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
A larger front wheel increases trail which provides more steering stability but also reduces steering quickness and agility and increases steering effort.

Most off road and adventure bikes use larger 19 and 21 inch front wheels because the increased self correcting to center nature of large amounts of trail is desirable and raking the forks excessively to accomplish this impairs suspension performance. On the other hand bikes where quick steering and agility is desirable use 17 inch wheels. Other than that the only reason to fiddle with wheel diameter is styling.
we had that same page hanging in the bicycle shop.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:30 PM
03psd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I don't get is the guys who go with a bigger wheel but then run only a single disk brake up front. I looked hard at a soft tail delux but decided I wanted dual disks and a better ride. Why would you willingly give up 50% of your primary braking ability??

Old 05-24-2012, 06:56 PM
jamminjimmi
Tourer

You're not giving up 50% if you're running a 6 piston caliper and a 13" rotor like most guys do when going with single sided brake. I promise you, I did the conversion on my 08 abs SG and it's better than the duals.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by jamminjimmi
You're not giving up 50% if you're running a 6 piston caliper and a 13" rotor like most guys do when going with single sided brake. I promise you, I did the conversion on my 08 abs SG and it's better than the duals.
I have TWIN 6 piston calipers and 13" rotors on my old lady! And the stock front tyre, as larger narrower tyres tend to have lower load ratings. Stops fine when loaded to the limit.....

Old 05-25-2012, 07:52 PM
jamminjimmi
Tourer

Originally Posted by grbrown
I have TWIN 6 piston calipers and 13" rotors on my old lady! And the stock front tyre, as larger narrower tyres tend to have lower load ratings. Stops fine when loaded to the limit.....
You definitely have the beast of a front brake, but I don't ride 2 up or loaded down. I thought about running duals, but I'm very pleased with the way mine works. Ever tried standing that behemoth up on the front wheel?? LOL

Quick Reply: what's the deal with larger front wheels?