Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what's the deal with larger front wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 09:40 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Whatever floats your boat......

Old 05-26-2012, 04:08 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by jamminjimmi
You definitely have the beast of a front brake, but I don't ride 2 up or loaded down. I thought about running duals, but I'm very pleased with the way mine works. Ever tried standing that behemoth up on the front wheel?? LOL
With Mrs B on the back?! I think that could be life-threatening!

We have friends, the wife of whom will only put up with so much mischief from her husband while riding together. The front of her helmet and the back of his are bruised from when she delivers a headbutt because he has gone too fast round a bend, braked too hard, etc! I don't think I would get away that lightly.....

Old 08-20-2017, 02:25 PM
TLAugustine
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tla

Originally Posted by Ben E
I see lots of guysdoing 21 inch front wheels. They look awesome. Is this part of a style or tradition or just preference? Does it impact handling? Just a curious newbie...thanks.
as some say fad I could not disagree moreas far as the 21 is concerned. Anyrhing bigger yes a fad just for the fact its a big hassle to get the rake and trail correct when going over 21. I am not sure who if anyone makes a low pro 21 that would keep the rake etc. Pretty close not a fan of lowering kits anywhere on a bike BUT I would more than likely opt for lowering the front as compaired to a lo pro tire. We all like things differently I like the stock geometry on the rake trail etc

Old 08-20-2017, 04:26 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,751 Likes on 5,245 Posts

At first it was a fade to be different and just do something silly. Then it grew I think it is some where around a 31 inch now.
IMO they look like ****. Bicycle tire on a bagger

Old 08-20-2017, 05:08 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 640 Likes on 495 Posts

Maybe after FIVE flippin' years the 'fad' deal is moot! Come on guys...pay attention here!

Old 08-20-2017, 07:59 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
Maybe after FIVE flippin' years the 'fad' deal is moot! Come on guys...pay attention here!
Still looks ridiculous.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:00 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I don't get it? The 21 inch wheel has come stock on a TON of factory models for decade's. Hell, my Snorkster came with one. And people think its a fad..... Lol

The following users liked this post:
SMC Lucky (08-25-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 09:28 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,789 Likes on 9,863 Posts

We have guys with bad taste out here, too.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:02 AM
SMC Lucky
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally like the look. I have a '17 EG which I am converting so it can pretty much transition from a full EG to an over-equipped SG. It came with stock 17-in rims which were not pleasing to the eye (looked like an old model Gold Wing rim).

I upgraded to a 19-in HD Turbine front and 17-in rear. I liked it better than the 17-in front, but it still wasn't cutting it for me. I like the look of the 21-in rims, but I LOVE the look of the 23-in! I hate the 26+ rims.

I like the 21's, but they don't look much bigger than the 19's I have to justify going to it, however, I like that it doesn't require a triple-tree or rake. I like the 23's because it pushes the front end up which can be further enhanced with a lower rear wheel or lowering kit. I like that because I'm taller AND often have a passenger on the back and I would rather lift the front end up than put an obnoxiously large windshield on it to block the wind while maintaining or even adding to the look of the bike... whereas the large windshield would subtract from the look. I also love how the top of the 23-in rim appears to be in-line with the top of the engine... symmetry is important to me. Though I have never ridden a 23-in bike, my suspected cons lye in the unknowns - Would a 23-in wheel ruin the riding experience in some way?, are there safety or function issues with the bolt-on triple-trees? We shall see.....

I don't care for the look of the 26+ rims because, to me, they look like there are two parts to the bike... 1) the bike, 2) the front wheel. Rarely do I see a 26+ and feel the flow of the bike was truly met. Rather, I settle for the ones that at least don't look like they will snap in half at the neck. Even the ones I settle for and might say, "that one looks kinda cool!" is also the one I always say, "but I wouldn't want to try riding it!" I see them roll those bikes into the show rooms and they have almost no control.

Those are just some thoughts on the matter. No right, no wrong.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:05 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

It's nothing new, I ran one back in 1975 with a 21 inch Avon speedmaster.

Quick Reply: what's the deal with larger front wheels?