Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I might have screwed up selling my BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 12:27 AM
gunnyBob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Hudson
So should I increase the air pressure in the shocks? If so, it's my understanding that this should be done with a hand pump & not a compressor - i understand it doesn't take a lot to bump up the pressure -

Yes you must buy this hand pump from H-D: 54630-03A that will allow you to change your shocks pressure to help you to find the right setting for you.
Alone with passenger and load.

If it help but not enough try to test some different seats with and without backrest.

Let us know!

Old 04-05-2012, 12:33 AM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mntsnow
On my streetglide and I am 235# I run 23-25 psi one up with a chopped tourpak in the solo position and go to 35# when I put the King tourpak in the two up position on and load up for a trip (I still ride one up as wife has her own bike)

So I personally suggest trying a backrest and bumping up your rear shock pressures a bit.
I'll give it a try & see if it helps - today I had a run to Sacramento - hit a couple of small pot holes & I really felt it in my back - big time - so thats not helping my problem for sure -

can a guy use compressed air if he's careful? or should i spend the money for the HD pump? I have a hand pump that came on one of my vintage bikes - I don't know if it even works or not but It can't hurt to try i guess - tom

Last edited by Tom Hudson; 04-05-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:41 AM
gunnyBob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not play with compressed air or you may damage your shocks. Get the right tool for thr right job.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:28 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm 65, 5'11" - 240 - I bought a new Mustang seat - the seat feels really good & it raised me up almost an inch - I learned a long time ago about the wallet - never have it in my back pocket when I ride - I just check the shocks - 8 pounds? Don't know if thats good or bad for me? - I have been riding 50 years & owned over 50 bikes & this is really a new issue for me - I had a HD Heritage a couple years ago that beat me up pretty good on a bad road but it beat me up all over - ride of the Ultra is good, I think the my Goldwing maybe fit me better? I do know I road it pain free - I have no pain in my shoulders & the bars feel like their in a good position - I'm able to bend my elbo's a little - So I just don't know? - I know Vicodin isn't the answer!
Height wise the bike should fit like a glove, you say you changed the seat, did you do that before trying stock? You will need to up the suspension a bit at 240 as the stock suspenders are set up for lighter riders.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:30 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member

Any shock pump with the right range will do the job, the MOCO one is not special unless you must have the branding.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:30 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member

Any shock pump with the right range will do the job, the MOCO one is not special unless you must have the branding.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:00 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I bought the my Ultra Classic a few weeks ago - I have only put 1,500 miles on it this winter but ride it some almost every day around town & have been on a few 100 mile rides - My problem is my lower back - it's killing me - I never had this problem before - it started about the same time I got the Ultra - I'm wondering if the setting position is the problem? On the Ultra all my weight is on the small of my back, with my legs going forward - With my BMW my legs are under me handling some of the weight? anyone else had this issue? I know if i hit a pot hole I really feel a sharp pain in my lower back - problem is now the pain just won't go away - What you think?- tom
Hey,
I had a similar problem when I got my 1200, transitioning from a Kawasaki 500 was not hard but the position change took some psychical getin use to so hang in there, your back should begin to understand and then your body will beef-up where it needs, could be you aint used those muscles for some time.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Pondskipper
Height wise the bike should fit like a glove, you say you changed the seat, did you do that before trying stock? You will need to up the suspension a bit at 240 as the stock suspenders are set up for lighter riders.
I made a couple runs on the OEM seat - didn't take long to find out I needed to change it out.

As far as fitting like a glove - the bike feels really good when I set on it & going down the road I don't have any pain but when I stop & stand up "BINGO" - I'll get a pump today a mess with the air pressure - tom

Old 04-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DavidStiebel
Hey,
I had a similar problem when I got my 1200, transitioning from a Kawasaki 500 was not hard but the position change took some psychical getin use to so hang in there, your back should begin to understand and then your body will beef-up where it needs, could be you aint used those muscles for some time.

Thanks David - I have owned a couple sportys over the years - one of the most under-rated motorcycles in the world! Really fun motorcycles - tom

Old 04-05-2012, 09:52 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

I started having some minor lower back pain while riding a few years back. All the research I did lead me to believe I need higher handlebars.

I started looking at bars. The price wasn't bad, but I knew if I was going to raise the bars, I would have to do chrome switch covers, braided clutch and brake lines, etc., and several hours labor.

I also like the fact my hands are behind the batwing now, and if I raised the bars, my hands and my GPS would be above the batwing.

I decided to try a backrest. It seemed the cheapest and easiest option. I can't believe now that I waited so long to get a backrest. It did the trick for me.

I take it off when my wife goes with me. I usually do long trips alone and short trips with her with me. The short trips without the backrest make me more tired than the long trips with it. By short trips, I mean 200-300 miles per day. Long trips are 500-800 miles per day.

Dennis

Quick Reply: I might have screwed up selling my BMW?